IGNORED

chances of finding games boxed w/instructions

Shannon

What are the chances of finding cartridges for the following systems boxed and with instructions for a halfway sane price? Used or new, doesn't matter. The digitalpress guide implies these systems typically can still be found that way. I find it a little hard to believe. Alot of online places say it may or may not come with box/manual, most stores dont even bother with the boxes except for the occasional title.

Anyways I'll list the systems, tell me what you think, and if they can be found boxed where...

NES

SNES

N64

Genesis

Gamegear

I ask cause I'm trying to determine how much effort I should focus on finding these things boxed w/instructions, or if I should just forget it and go for loose carts. If I missed listing any systems I'll update my list.

NES & SNES -In my area, hardly ever. I've seen 1000s, and very few boxed anymore. Maybe like 5% of what I see/find is boxed. Doesn't mean you can't still get them boxed, but if you only bought the boxed stuff, you may pass up alot of great games. And rarely make any purchases.

N64 -As others have said are still in some stores. Check Toys R Us, scuttlebutt is they're suppose to be lowering their prices finally! Make the cashiers scan the games, lot's of stuff may not be changed yet, if ever, but could still be ringing up for cheap. Paper Mario $10. :)

Genesis -One of my favorite systems to collect for, yes much easier to find boxed as their boxes kick ass! But I've also seen my fair share of loose crudy Genny carts, usually some sort of sports title. :P Maybe as much as 40% or more I've found boxed. Sega rocks!

Gamegear -I don't even think these things were sold around here! Besides for the 3 or 4 titles that they use to have at TRU, I rarely see any GG games. I've found 1 system, and maybe 15 carts total over the past couple years. No boxes that i recall.

It really depends on where you live and what was popular there, and the odds go up increasingly based on that. I can find boxed NES games fairly easily in Omaha, although they're sometimes crappy (beat up) and often incomplete (missing instructions or dust sleeve). Once in a while though I get really nice ones: StarTropics 2 CIB for $6, for example.

Game Gear is really easy here in Pittsburgh. We had a major discount chain go under and they blew out their stock, including a ton a game gear stuff (you'll see tons of it on ebay...I can usually tell if a lot is from this close out just by the selection of titles.)

N64 as mentioned is still in stores. There are a few smaller second hand stores around here that actually keep the boxes too.

Nintendo...small percentage...5% is about right...that said, there are a zillion carts for this system out there and thus a lot of boxed ones.

SNES...A bit harder than the rest, but not impossible either.

Genesis...Probably the easiest. Sega did a good job of making the boxes valuable enough to keep.

Thanks for the tips guys... That's kinda the conclusion I came to, but wanted to see what people from different areas said. I usually try to strike a balance between getting boxed and good games. That way I'm not always stuck getting lousy titles to curb my enthusiasm. I figure if I pick up something loose cheap and get it boxed later it makes for good trade bait.

As for toys -r- us, yeah I noticed they are one of the few stores that will discount their stuff eventually. I'm always keeping an eye on them. Strangely enough though the dreamcast stuff from the one local store dissappeared. Those rats.

Archived