IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 8/8/2024 at 12:23 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Another spite editor user here,thanks for bringing this up @darryl1970.

Personally i use Paint.NET, Gimp and the sprite editor depending on the application. I am not great at art work either, however many times i need to recopy sprites given by my artist. Either my ignorance with art programs or 7800 can be finicky with colour indexes at times. Whichever the case i know if i copy into the sprite editor it will just work.

Cheers

I use MSPaint to make the graphics, then I convert the graphics from RGB to 4-color indexed using GIMP.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Karl G said:

Compiling is working for me under the new version. I'm loving not having to make sure the code window has focus when compiling, too. Thanks for continuing to maintain this awesome tool!

Great thanks mate! Yes those couple of little changes have make a big difference for me too! I wish I had more time to work on it TBH!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update about the Sprite Editor.  I've been working on getting the internal libraries upgraded and doing a visual refresh.  I've also added Line, Rectangle, Ellipse/Circle and Color Picker tools to the mix which I'm very happy about:

image.thumb.png.2f746a218f82c15d56f7985b39044026.png

Still got a few things to continue working through but hopefully by the weekend I can do a new release of ADS.

[Update]: I've also added an Ellipse/Circle tool as well.

Edited by mksmith
More features!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi all,

Just a quick update about the Sprite Editor.  I've been working on getting the internal libraries upgraded and doing a visual refresh.  I've also added Line, Rectangle, Ellipse/Circle and Color Picker tools to the mix which I'm very happy about:

image.thumb.png.2f746a218f82c15d56f7985b39044026.png

Still got a few things to continue working through but hopefully by the weekend I can do a new release of ADS.

[Update]: I've also added an Ellipse/Circle tool as well.

This is really cool to see! Thanks. :)

• Like 1

new release (v0.10.2) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Restored the existing Sprite Editor (many requests)
  • Updated the Sprite Editor with the following changes:
    •   Added line, rectangle, ellipse, color picker tools
    •   Updated the undo/redo storage to better handle various tool usage - some tools either didn't work as expected or over saved changes
    •   Fixed the formatting of the spinner controls
    •   Updated all the toolbar icons
    •   Various enhancements internally

[Update] VSCode Marketplace has published this update - check the Extensions tab on the Sidebar 👍

Once again the VSCode Marketplace has not accepted the extension update 😠 so i'll get that updated once I find out the reason.  You can download directly from here if you are wanting it sooner:

https://github.com/chunkypixel/atari-dev-studio/releases/download/v0.10.2/atari-dev-studio-0.10.2.vsix

Thanks to everyone for suggesting putting back the Sprite Editor - TBH i downgraded myself as I need to use it so it was a little silly to remove it! Anyway I've added some much needed features and cleaned up a few annoying things in the process. Next step is a redesign which have some some ideas about layout wise so we'll see how that goes.  I have a number of games sitting there unfinished and work/life is going to be busy again shortly but I do hope I can find some time to work on this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2024 at 9:02 PM, Philsan said:

Thank you very much for restoring sprite editor!

But time has passed and now I don't remember how to import sprites into code. :dunce:

Single line resolution and multicolor would be nice but you know it youself. 🙂

No probs - I'm been working a bit further on some bigger changes to the Sprite Editor but mainly around the 7800 side of things.  Now that side is sorted I do need to look at what I can do for the 2600 side of things so things such as single line and multi-color should be doable whilst I'm in here.  

Click on the Export button on the side toolbar you can export into code.  I was just thinking that a window to copy/paste out of might be better than just exporting code so i'm going to look into that first up.

• Like 3

new release (v0.10.3) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

•  Updated the Sprite Editor with the following changes:
    •   Changed the export of png images to work specifically with the requirements of 7800basic
    •   On the Editor window added an output of the color indexes for 7800basic (click to copy to the clipboard)
    •   On the Editor window added an output of the grid co-ordinates.
    •   Fixed the formatting/sizing of the Editor and List windows when resizing them
    •   Further updates to the undo/redo identification
    •   Various other changes and enhancements
    •   Updated the UPNG library to make the required changes
    •   Note: images are now exported without transparency and that color will output as the chosen Background color.

Some big changes here for 7800 users! The ability to export and copy/paste a list of color indexes that match is going to be a massive time saver!  Note: As image indexes will now be changed on export I would be careful doing this on an existing project unless your happy to go through and copy/paste over the indexes for each sprite into your project.

Also if I can work out how to import an image and adjust the colors to match the chosen palette I will add that feature in the future 🙏

Accessing the Color Indexes for 7800basic

At the bottom left of the Editor window, the list of color indexes is shown (and constantly updated) for each sprite as you edit it.  Once your ready just left-click somewhere on the numbers and they will be copied into the clipboard ready for pasting into the associated incgraphics references! 

image.png.2f7ecaf4376466ef805b4d011a4eed95.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Another quick update - this time for 2600 users:

image.thumb.png.0b5bbe8be2c7a5f81ddf2505fb0f8bf7.png

So I've made some specific changes to the editor to allow one (or more) colors to be set for a sprite.  You just choose your color and start drawing and where another pixel is colored on that line it will automatically adjust any other pixels on that line to match - hope that makes sense (line, rectangle and ellipse tools also work).  In drawing these examples the color picker came in very handy as well. The only thing I've removed for 2600 mode is the Fill tool as it doesn't make much sense here (please let me know if you think that's the wrong assumption).

It's been a bit of rework to get this working in a couple of areas because of how the editor stores both information for the sprite and how the active pen color is selected but we got there!  Also now when you load an existing .spe file for 2600 projects I automatically remap the existing pixels so it will match the new format so no suprises!

The last change I'm going to make is adjusting the Export feature to display a textarea outputting the code and color tables (for copy/paste) along with a dropdown to switch output formats. Plus I'll still offer the ability to save to file.  I think this will be a better way of doing it!

I've been really happy with how the past week or so has panned out. The Sprite Editor has been ok to use but it's now much more feature complete and worth having a play.  As I've said previously I do intend to redo this tool to make the layout a bit more user friendly getting rid of the floating windows and making it work better with a resizable environment.  I also want to bring the editor area front and centre so we'll see what the future brings.

Hoping to get this release finished in the next 1-2 days so keep an eye out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A new release (v0.10.4) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated the Sprite Editor with the following changes:
    • Rebuilt the 2600 and 7800 Export window to offer a more streamlined and feature rich process
    • Updated the Editor and Palette features to work with multi-color 2600 sprites
    • Added an output content (showing the generated source) and copy/paste feature to the 2600 Export window
    • Added color information to the 2600 export content
    • (Re)added a Show on startup option for displaying the Project window when you open the Sprite Editor

As noted over the past few days lots of changes especially for 2600 users plus I've also rebuilt the Export window for 7800 users to match the flow.  Hopefully this will now cover off much of the remaining issues using the Sprite Editor making a much more useful tool 🙏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2