IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm wondering if this might be simpler than it seems.  That is, running VSCode and Atari Developer Studio?  Essentially use VSCodium (already done: https://learncgames.com/how-to-install-vscodium-on-a-raspberry-pi/ ) and then you just have the ADS issue. I assume it's a build required?  

I have failed to understand his underlying needs.  Not sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

I have failed to understand his underlying needs.  Not sure.

It seems like he has ADS running, which just complains that it can't find the ARM binaries. I'm going to try to get it running on my own Raspberry Pi over the weekend to see if I can be of any help.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Philsan said:

If I am not wrong, to fix DPC+ top row color, you have to put DPCplus.arm in bBasic include folder.

Where should I put it in Atari Dev Studio?

Have you tried putting that file in your project folder for the project that needs it?

UPDATE:  To be clear this is an educated guess.  I haven't put on my big boy pants and tried DPC+ development.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Have you tried putting that file in your project folder for the project that needs it?

It works, thanks, together with

asm
   LDA DF6FRACDATA ; bgcolor priming read (first value will be read twice)
   LDA DF4FRACDATA ; pfcolor priming read (first value will be read twice)
end

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

new release (v0.8.6) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.24 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Fixed 7800basic keyword bankset references for syntax highlighting, hover and context help
  • Added option to send binary to emulator or cart on launch (experimental)

Update: I've been given access to the VSCodium marketplace - just need to verify the process to ensure compatibility before I upload.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hi, is it possible to add a parameter option when selecting "make" as you compilation method? And could that be tied to the F5 and SHIFT-F5 build options? The reason I ask is that both buttons do the same thing in the tray when using "make"... when I want to compile and run (in Stella), Stella doesn't launch at all (only when using dasm as the compliation method). I got around this by modifying my make file to specify multiple targets (ie: make build vs make build_and_run)... but I cannot use the F5 or SHIFT-F5 buttons since they just call the make command with no target parameter.

12 hours ago, rcwalter70 said:

Hi, is it possible to add a parameter option when selecting "make" as you compilation method? And could that be tied to the F5 and SHIFT-F5 build options? The reason I ask is that both buttons do the same thing in the tray when using "make"... when I want to compile and run (in Stella), Stella doesn't launch at all (only when using dasm as the compliation method). I got around this by modifying my make file to specify multiple targets (ie: make build vs make build_and_run)... but I cannot use the F5 or SHIFT-F5 buttons since they just call the make command with no target parameter.

Hi there!

Thanks for the suggestion.  The Make option really needs to be fleshed out much more than it currently is and the way it's been designed really doesn't lend itself currently to adding this feature as the script is meant to do the work for you (ie. everything).  I do want to revisit the entire process eventually (along with a number of things!!) so it's on my list of todos!

• 4 weeks later...

new release (v0.8.7) is now available with the following changes:

• Cleanups to sending binary to emulator or cart on launch option (added Windows validation and Language check)
  • Added settings option to specify port the cart launch option is communicating on

The other major change is the extension in now available in VSCodium finally!! (apologies it's taken so long - I've not being doing a lot recently).  I've given it a brief test and it appears to be working fine.

Update: The VSCode extension upload has been published now 

Edited by mksmith
Upload was approved
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Please add more tools. I think the simplest one would be a playfield editor, since the same code that is used for sprite editor could be used to edit playfields (just with different export function). Also support for DPC+ multicolor 2600 sprites would be nice.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 8:41 PM, Darkhog said:

Please add more tools. I think the simplest one would be a playfield editor, since the same code that is used for sprite editor could be used to edit playfields (just with different export function). Also support for DPC+ multicolor 2600 sprites would be nice.

Yes I definitely would like to add more features! The 2600 multi-color is do-able in the current editor and a number of 3rd party tools such as from Alienbill (https://alienbill.com/2600/) would be good to at least link or open into would be a great option for 2600 devs. I just need to find some time to implement that.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Darkhog said:

Can't wait! BTW. Since I never used VSCode (more of an Atom guy), will it update automatically once the new version is out, or will I have to re-download it?

Yes you should at least get a notification of an update otherwise it will be automatic.

• 4 weeks later...

My first try and I noticed REM statements get flagged as invalid.

rem hello world gets the following error:

(1): Error: Unknown keyword: hello

; hello world works fine 

batari Basic v1.7 (c)2022

Visual Studio Basic

Version: 1.79.2 (user setup)
Commit: 695af097c7bd098fbf017ce3ac85e09bbc5dda06
Date: 2023-06-14T08:57:04.379Z
Electron: 22.5.7
Chromium: 108.0.5359.215
Node.js: 16.17.1
V8: 10.8.168.25-electron.0

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grizzly Adam said:

My first try and I noticed REM statements get flagged as invalid.

rem hello world gets the following error:

; hello world works fine 

Visual Studio Basic

Version: 1.79.2 (user setup)
Commit: 695af097c7bd098fbf017ce3ac85e09bbc5dda06
Date: 2023-06-14T08:57:04.379Z
Electron: 22.5.7
Chromium: 108.0.5359.215
Node.js: 16.17.1
V8: 10.8.168.25-electron.0

Oh, poop.  I tried it with ALL CAPS " REM" and got it too.  Not sure if it's an ADS Studio thing, though.  I got similar results in VisualbB.

As a workaround try just using lowercase " rem".

I usually make my remark statements visible by using a style like this:

rem //** NTSC Colors **//

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Oh, poop.  I tried it with ALL CAPS " REM" and got it too.  Not sure if it's an ADS Studio thing, though.  I got similar results in VisualbB.

As a workaround try just using lowercase " rem".

I usually make my remark statements visible by using a style like this:

rem //** NTSC Colors **//

No joy with the lower case either. I usually add flair to my rem statements too, but I was simplifying because error.

Anyway, the ; works for rem, so at least we have a workaround.

Edited by Grizzly Adam

4 minutes ago, Grizzly Adam said:

No joy with the lower case either. I usually add flair to my rem statements too, but I was simplifying because error.

Hmmn.  Then I'd make all rem statements lowercase and double check that everything but the labels and any sprite/playfield/data statements that need "end" have at least one space at the beginning of the line.

To pare down the logic I'd also try compiling a sample project.  I used zombie_chase.bas and it compiled fine.

28 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

Hmmn.  Then I'd make all rem statements lowercase and double check that everything but the labels and any sprite/playfield/data statements that need "end" have at least one space at the beginning of the line.

To pare down the logic I'd also try compiling a sample project.  I used zombie_chase.bas and it compiled fine.

OK, for simplicity sake the entire program is currently just a rem statement and I am still getting the same error

rem hello world

Verifying compiler files exist...

Starting build of hello.bas...

Compilation failed.

Exit code: 1
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grizzly Adam said:

OK, for simplicity sake the entire program is currently just a rem statement and I am still getting the same error

rem hello world

Verifying compiler files exist...

Starting build of hello.bas...

Compilation failed.

Exit code: 1
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...

I'm guessing that you don't have any spaces before the "rem" keyword. At least one space is required before "rem" or any other keyword other than "end" or labels. Spaces are not required before a semicolon as a comment, though, so that may be the difference.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I'm guessing that you don't have any spaces before the "rem" keyword. At least one space is required before "rem" or any other keyword other than "end" or labels. Spaces are not required before a semicolon as a comment, though, so that may be the difference.

Yep, that did it. Thank you.

• Like 3

new release (v0.8.8) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.27 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated 7800basic keyword, hover and context help lists

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

new release (v0.8.9) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

Thanks again to @RevEng for the great update adding the RMT engine into 7800basic and @Random Terrain for maintaining his great Atari Memories help and references for bB and 7800basic.  Don't forget you can hover over keywords for the basic syntax or sit the cursor on a keyword and press F1 to be taken to RT's help.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

new release (v0.9.0) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.28 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Like 5