IGNORED

Oh how I want a modern TIE Fighter game.

Flojomojo

TIE and to a lesser extent as it was a bit crude X-Wing were my absolute favorites along side Wing Commander 1 and 2 -- I never could decide which even now I still can't. I had for all four games all the add on packages, did the later upgrades too which GoG as well received with the DirectX 3D stuff for the SW games and then the WIn32/64bit loading possible WC package which had 1-3. Those books you got for the SW games and WC (1 at least) were really fantastic with so much detail, back story, it was like a manual and novel rolled into one.

I still keep a fairly desirable on the aftermarket joystick around to meddle with them on rare occasion or something else because they're just not the same without.

• Like 2

Yeah, you'd think that'd be a slam dunk with the resurgence of cockpit space sims.

But if there were a new Tie Fighter, Disney'd just have EA do it, just like most of their other games.

Then EA would promptly get it exactly as right as they got their last Wing Commander game (or everything else they do).

I may be a bit of an Eeyore with no faith left, but at least then I'm rarely disappointed.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyepNalZFtk[/media]

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Yeah, same here. I loved these games.

Best thing at the moment is to go buy Tie Fighter/X-Wing Alliance from gog.com for $10 and install the modern graphics update from moddb. While the menu screens, being bitmaps, are lower res, the in-flight graphics are scaled up to 1920x1080 and they look and play amazing. The best part is, they'll run on a potato, so chances are you can throw this on your laptop and play anywhere too.

If you like wing commander, there is wing commander saga, a TC of the Freespace 2 engine that's been overhauled for modern systems:

https://www.wcsaga.com/

• Like 2

Freespace 2 is one of those games I'd really like to play if I could put the outside world on hold for a while. Also Skyrim, toon Zelda, and some MMOs. But thanks for pointing out that the answer to my wishes is right in front of me ... I had forgotten.

And wow Wing Commander Arena was a complete and utter disappointment.