IGNORED

In search of the Oldest 2600 VCS

surfnmadness

This topic routinely arises on the AA forums. The meaning of Atari serial numbers remains unclear. To date, I don't think a definitive answer to the question of what they mean has been provided on this forum. The best explanation I've read so far is:

The serial number format differences you've identified was caused when Atari went outside for licensed production. I believe TRW was the first licensed production facility outside Sunnyvale. The original Atari Sunnyvale 1977-78 heavy sixers have the serial number letter suffix. Each letter represents 99,999 units. For example, S/N 25311J is the (99,999 *10) + 25,311 or 1,025,301 produced. This is a mid-production heavy sixer probably dating to spring 1978. I've seen A suffix Serial numbers but never a number without a letter. The latest I've seen is a S/N ending in 'U' which is very late production around 2million produced. Many of the 6-switch regular cases have serial numbers representing year of production. 80XXX, 81XXX or 82XXX. A woodgrain 4-switch will typically begin 82XXX or 83XXX, the 4-black 83XXX and 84XXX, representing year of production. Even the 2600Jr year or production can be determined by the Serial number 87XXX or 88XXX. As in life, there are exceptions...

If this explanation is even remotely correct, then the list on Stella's Boneyard is completely inaccurate and does not represent an age-based rank order.

Moreover, I've been unable to find any information regarding heavy-sixers that lack a letter suffix, such as mine with the #7621 or fire_Wil's #2176.

If anyone has an accurate explanation of Atari serial #'s, please pipe-up.

I've been unable to find any information regarding heavy-sixers that lack a letter suffix, such as mine with the #7621 or fire_Wil's #2176.

If anyone has an accurate explanation of Atari serial #'s, please pipe-up.

If the number scheme you describe is accurate, it follows that they

are likely pre A suffix, you guys probably have very early units :)

btw mine is 45981F

If this explanation is even remotely correct, then the list on Stella's Boneyard is completely inaccurate and does not represent an age-based rank order.  

It would be constructive to hear from people with their original 2600, who remember (or can document) when the console was originally purchased.

If we have a reasonable sample of serial numbers with confirmed dates, we can then compare the data with the various theories.

Alas, I sold by original 2600 (purchased May-June 1981) in 1983. :(

It would be constructive to hear from people with their original 2600, who remember (or can document) when the console was originally purchased.  

If we have a reasonable sample of serial numbers with confirmed dates, we can then compare the data with the various theories.

That would be the problem, most of us were kids. I can't remember exactly when I bought my Super Nintendo let alone my Ataris.

That would be the problem, most of us were kids. I can't remember exactly when I bought my Super Nintendo let alone my Ataris.

Exactly. My first 6-switcher was bought for Christmas of '79....or was it '80? I can't remember if I ws 5 or 6 at the time. But here's the funny thing....the game packaged with the 2600 wasn't Pac-Man, it was Pong! I can almost certainly recall playing Pong that Christmas on my grandad's back and white TV. But Pong was never released as a solo cart, was it? And if not, what the heck was I playing? :?

Just for background info, my 6-switcher is NOT of the heavy variety, was manufacutred by Atari-Wong Ltd. in Hong Kong, and has SN 568219614.

Archived