IGNORED

GAMES magazine blurb about classic gaming.....

The new Games magazine has a little blurb......

<quote>

BACK FROM THE GRAVE?

Despite breathing their last gasps years ago, the Atari 2600 and Colecovision game platforms retain a small cult of fans devoted to their classic games. In addition, the internet hosts a booming community of gamers with a taste for vintage titles, and enthusiasts even have their own conventions, such as the annual PhillyClassic (in Philidelphia) and Classic Gaming Expo (Las Vegas).

This years PhillyClassic saw the demonstration of the first new games for these systems in years. Entity, written by Subterrania and Pick-Up designer Mark Klien, will be published by CGE Services for Atari 2600, while Digital Press will offer a Space Invaders Collection for ColecoVision. Both of these products will be officially released in August at the Classic Gaming Expo.

</quote>

Though I hear that Digitpress isnt gonna release the Space Invaders game now......

This years PhillyClassic saw the demonstration of the first new games for these systems in years.

While it's always nice to see mention of classic gaming in magazines today, it's too bad that whoever write this blurb didn't even do cursory research. Many new games (both homebrew and reproductions) have been released for the 2600 and ColecoVision over the past several years. Oh well!

..Al

I can forgive this hack's oversight of the homebrews. It's his "BACK FROM THE GRAVE?" comment that rankles me. Whoever said classic games gasped their last breath years ago simply does not pay attention. Pac-Man, Defender, Frogger and other arcade consoles have been blooping and bleeping at my local arcade since the early 80's -- not because the owners are sentimental, nostalgic old fools --- because these grand old games gobble down quarters like Pac-Man himself. Old dudes play them. Teenagers play them. Little kids hear the simple and snappy tunes and beg their older brothers to lift them to the controls so they can play, too. Because these games are fun! They have always been fun, and for as long as there is electricity to power them, they always will be fun.

The Atari 2600 may have gone out of production years ago, but time cannot erase the magic within. Nor has time had much luck penetrating the venerable console's mighty armor. I still find these quarter-century old relics kicking and tumbling about on thrift store floors every now and then. When I buy them, they almost always work.

I once found an Atari 2600 console buried in a rain-soaked mud hole in a Auto parts salvage yard. It had been a thrift store before then, but that was several years earlier. How long that old Atari had been lying in its grave, beneath a carpet of broken glass and crusty motor oil is anybody's guess. Had it not been for the rain, which uncovered the tinies corner of its wood grain shell, I would have never spotted it. But spot it I did. I pulled it up from the muck and took it into the shop, an unrecognizable blob of mud-oil and plastic. The shopkeeper wiped it with a rag, looked at me like I was crazy, and told me to get it off his counter top and get it outta there.

I took my free mudball home, took it apart, cleaned the worms and the moldering gunk out of its innards and let the Atari console air dry dissected for a week. After I was satisfied the board was throughly clean and dried, I reassembled everything, jammed a Pitfall! cart into the slot, powered it up and...

...It worked! Other than the Select and Reset Switches having lost their ability to spring back after being pressed, the damn thing worked. Let's see how many X-Boxes or PS2's could survive something like that! It just goes to show that even if you throw an Atari 2600 into the grave, don't be too quick to bet on it having gasped it's last breath.

But if I were inclined to wager and a few years younger, I'd place solid money on seeing the day when hundreds of thousands of Atari 2600 consoles will be breathing just fine and bringing joy to their owners, long after a certain Games Magazine columnist had gasped his final breath.

Ben

Join us for the classic videogame horror film that keeps modern-day game companies trembling in fear...

THE GAME SYSTEMS THAT WON'T STAY DEAD!!!

(Voice of CEOs): "Die, system, die!!! Stop working!!! You're not supposed to keep working!!! We've replaced you years ago!!! Why won't you stay dead?!?"

Archived