IGNORED

Best game on the R Zone?

Well given some of them were just redone stand along Tiger handhelds I can say indirectly I've played Star Wars Imperial Assault, NASCAR racing, and Virtua Cop. Of the three, strangely, NASCAR would be it as that one was also done using a LED light/hologram art style VRTX style release and it actually mirrors the legit game pretty well. The SW game is more of a very choppy segmented shooting gallery of ships, and Virtua Cop on the stand alone side was like a pre-Wii LED light gun game which got dumbed down to just segments button pushing which blows compared. That's why I say NASCAR. That one you have 3 difficulty levels, 40 cars, a full set of laps and ability to pit for fuel/repairs, even allows manual or automatic gear shifting so it's more intuitive than most those Tiger games ever got.

• Like 2

Well okay, the kind of weird dumping on R-zone has motivated me to pop mine out and play them. It already sounds like I need to buy the NASCAR game (Daytona USA?). I'm guessing it's a variation of 'dodge the stuff' which tends to be my favorite "racing" genre. A shame that kind of action is so rare in games today.

Of my two R-Zone games, Jedi Adventure and Men in Black, MIB is the easy winner. It's not a terribly complex game, but it's easy enough to trick your brain into thinking you're actually moving/adventuring, where the jedi adventure feels awfully static. It's probably the worst star wars lcd game I've played, but if I had to find fun in it, I suppose I could. For MIB, on the other hand, I actually went back for a second go.

Of the three(?) R-Zone form factors, I'm clearly more of an X.P.G. fan than the rest, which was the last style released, IIRC. It's a true handheld, where r-zone tends not to be, and the bright red gameplay is pretty easy to see, even if the reflectors all tarnish a bit. (that's an easy enough fix, I suppose).

NbtCXhtm.jpg ervIHScm.jpg

I also have a few other 'change the screen' lcd games that I'll probably never get another chance to share, so I'm taking it. I have an MGA Game Wizard (I'd swear I have a few of these, but could only find the one), and an Ex-Game. The Game Wizards come in a variety of colors with multiple games on a common theme, and are actually pretty solid fun for a sub-$20 game system. For a fixed-display system, the titles are fairly strong and varied. There is no power button--it's weird swapping games while it's on. The Ex-Game, on the other hand, seems to not really change games at all, but just changes 'themes' or 'skins' on the same gameplay. That is disappointing, but at least the one game is in the aforementioned 'dodge the stuff' genre.

LHw1mlom.jpg zhKvZ7vm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

There's a lot more to R-Zone than I was expecting, including a 4th system I've never seen, the R-Zone 'Datazone' which reminds me a lot of sega's IR-7000.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK3CU3EaYqg[/media]

I noticed there's also a really detailed review of Panzer Dragoon out there too. It looks surprisingly complex for such a humble system.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIM-MPbbxLc[/media]

• Like 1

Well okay, the kind of weird dumping on R-zone has motivated me to pop mine out and play them. It already sounds like I need to buy the NASCAR game (Daytona USA?). I'm guessing it's a variation of 'dodge the stuff' which tends to be my favorite "racing" genre. A shame that kind of action is so rare in games today.

Pretty much in a way yes, but it's oddly for a segmented LCD more fluid in motion. It's not so pop pop pop at weird timing like older car games like RadioShack/Tandy's Highway handheld. They move up on you fairly quicker and almost comes off as some semi-fluid low-FPS racing game. That's probably why I didn't get bored of it and kept the handheld I said it's similar to because it actually is challenging trying to pass like 20-40 cars whatever it was in the laps you're given and it has 3 difficulty settings in case you can get through the first skill level. For a LCD game from Tiger it's just more complex and varied than most of them wished they could be which is just strange for a car game.

Kind of like your idea of MIB vs Jedi which one feels tricked into fluidity vs being static, that's how Daytona flows. Maybe there's some lame youtube video I've never looked. Also your star wars handheld I've had my hands on one of those before like 2 years ago at a flea market, the clown wanted a lot for it because of the movies being out so he figured gold bars which is a shame as it was pretty fun.

I guess because I had Tiger stuff before and a little after Gameboy I can tolerate and even enjoy some of them, even still, so I can see why people would dump on the R-Zone but I have to admit I would love to get one, the handheld version at least, as they flow more smoothly and I like the wannabe virtual boy style red glow it gives off. I'd love to know more on what sucks or not from someone who isn't a hater of old segmented style games.

• Like 1

I only have one R-Zone game, and yeah, for a handheld LCD game it is somewhat ambitious. Batman & Robin is one part beat 'em up and one part driving game. Yes, it's an R-Zone game with multiple types of gameplay, how many of those are there? Both are really, REALLY simplistic, though, as expected from a Tiger LCD handheld -- the beat 'em up levels are extremely simple and repetitive, and the driving stages are just 'drive forwards and avoid stuff until it ends', that's it. It's a kind of okay but really pretty poor game, compared to games on systems which actually can change the graphics and not just light up different parts of the screen. I got the system with the one game a couple of years ago, and haven't bought any more yet though I have thought about it. I never did like most Tiger handheld games much, and what I've played of R-Zone definitely hasn't changed my mind on that, but while I do think the R-Zone isn't very good, yes, it could be worse. This game I have is far from the worst Tiger LCD handheld game around, certainly.

As for models, I have the XPG. The Head Gear is the one I remember from the '90s, and it did look cool in ads, but this is probably the one to have if you want to actually play the game...

On that note though, one reason why I haven't bought more games is that every time I look on ebay, I notice how R-Zone game sales are somewhat uncommon. A lot of the time, you've got to buy a bundle with a few games and a console in order to get more games, and that's definitely not an economical way of building your library for what is one of the worst consoles of the last few decades... like every system there are definitely reasons to have an R-Zone, but I only want one, not like ten!

• Like 1