IGNORED

ignorant schematic-type question

NoahsMyBro

OK, tonight was the night I planned on finally doing the 5200 A/V mod I've meant to do for a very long time now.

I'm stumped on something really simple, though.

I plan on using the mod described in the 5200 FAQ, found at both Atari Age and AtariHQ. ( http://www.atarihq.com/5200/5200faq/04_13.html ) Near the left side of the diagram, where the 4 Lumas and the Sync connect to the rest of the circuit, are the vertical wire & the horizontal wire supposed to be connected to each other, or do they just cross in the picture, but are supposed to be separate wires? I'm talking about the line that starts with '9.1k'. To the right of that a little bit, the wire running vertically crosses the wire going into the transistor. Should those wires be connected, or not?

CR1  750       1.6K  |    10     | +    |

Sync --|<]--///-,  ,-///-`           |      / GND

4.7K      |  |        ___/-------`

Luma 3 ---///-----|  |     Q /|/c

9.1K      |--|------(b|   )                   RCA jack

Luma 2 ---///-----|  |       |e/          75        __

18K       |  |           -----,---///-----O__ LUMA

Luma 1 ---///-----|  |  2K             |             |   OUTPUT

36K       |  `-///----///--`         GND /

Luma 0 ---///-----`          |    75

GND /

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Steve

Yeah, Dan's right. One trick I do is to clip the luma resistors and sync diode down short and solder them standing straight up on the 5200 motherboard. Then I solder that 750 ohm horizontally to connect them all. That way you only need one wire going to the transistor circuit instead of five.

Thanks guys. This is probably the most ambitious project I've undertaken so far, and tips like yours are definitely helpful and appreciated.

I'm going out of town Wednesday through Monday (finally, the beach, I need it more than you can imagine....), so it's unlikely I'll get this done before then, but once it's done I'll let you all know how I did.

-- Steve

• 1 month later...

Man, it takes me a LONG time to get things done! I can't believe how long I've been getting ready to do this mod. And this is something I want to do! I'll have to point this out to my wife the next time she complains I procrastrinate about things I don't want to do. (And, I am typing this on a new laptop, and I cannot type with this keyboard!)

OK, now on to my latest progress, and the reason for this post:

I have soldered the Chroma, Luma, and Sync resistors and diode to the board, as Jon suggested. The sync and Luma leads are all tied and soldered together.

Where is the best place to get GROUND and +5v ?

Also, where is a good place to put the rest of the circuit? I don't want to lose the controller storage bin; I've always appreciated that feature of the 5200. I planned on putting my composite jacks on the aux. port cover.

I was thinking of putting the rest of the circuit on a small board from Radio Shack, and just resting the board on top of the aux. port edge connector (with tape insulating the bottom of the board).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Archived