IGNORED

What the hell is going on here?

Albert

First, Alex and I would like to apologize to anyone who experienced problems posting to the message boards earlier this morning. This was caused by exceeding our disk storage quota, and Ultimate Bulletin Board (the software you're using right now) could no longer create any new files. Unfortunately it doesn't handle this condition very gracefully and just reports errors when people try to post. To rectify the situation for the short term, we have taken the 5200 Manuals offline. The space used by these manuals is more than twice that used by the message boards, so that problem will not occur again in the near future.

Alex and I could not have anticipated how much traffic AtariAge would draw and it has certainly exceeded our expectations. While we're grateful that the site is successful, it's also caused a lot of growing pains which some of you have experienced directly. Our original plans were to build a server and host the site ourselves, eliminating the problems with disk space and bandwidth in one fell swoop. Unfortunately it is impossible to bring those plans to fruition soon enough, so we're going to go an alternate route.

We're now aggressively researching dedicated hosting plans, where AtariAge will be running on its own machine. Presently, the site runs on a machine shared by many other sites. While the site doesn't suffer from performance issues, we've run into a brick wall as far as disk space and bandwidth are concerned. A dedicated server will allow us a huge amount of disk space and bandwidth can more easily be adjusted to accomodate the site's needs. Plus performance should never become an issue since we won't have to worry about other sites running on the same box.

Our plans are to move the entire site to a new server as soon as possible. At present we're actively researching dedicated server plans. Once we've chosen a plan and the machine is available, we'll move the site over to it and redirect AtariAge.com to point to the new site (since it'll have a new IP address). The road might be a little bumpy during the transition, but the end result will be well worth the journey.

Once we have completed the transition to the new server, we'll be able to add a wealth of new content that we've had to sit on because of the disk space issue. This includes the Jaguar and Lynx sections, 2600 manual scans, more catalog scans, and other features we don't want to reveal just yet.

We thank everyone for their patience and support.

..Al

On the subject of performance issues:

Browsing AtariAge during the time when America is still sleeping is nice and fast from over here in Germany, but once people on your continent start getting up, the reaction time of your site slows down consideranbly. Of course at this time it's evening over here when more people have time to surf the net, so I can't definately blame the speed reduction on your server, but on the other hand other American hosted sites still seem to work at normal speed. So maybe moving AtariAge helps to improve this situation.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Originally posted by Eckhard Stolberg:

Browsing AtariAge during the time when America is still sleeping is nice and fast from over here in Germany, but once people on your continent start getting up, the reaction time of your site slows down consideranbly. Of course at this time it's evening over here when more people have time to surf the net, so I can't definately blame the speed reduction on your server, but on the other hand other American hosted sites still seem to work at normal speed. So maybe moving AtariAge helps to improve this situation.

Interesting. I've never really had major slowdown issues with the site from either California or Texas and I typically access the site with a high-speed connection (DSL, Cable or T1). The site is almost always pretty snappy when I use it, at all times of the day. I have to wonder if this has more to do with the location of the server and its connection to the pipe going across the Atlantic.

Would anyone else care to comment?

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Nukey Shay:

Looks like you may have been hacked. I'm getting "All your Atari..." etc. in the "Did you know?" field. It redirects the browser to ayb.net (no, I'm not going to post the complete url...this joke has been going on far too long already).

You might want to take a look at the .html

We weren't hacked.

..Al