IGNORED

I killed it... :(

Shannon

Well my enthusiasm while checking out my new 5200 hoard died, when I heard a nice little POP come from my 5200. From that point on the machine could power on/off, but no game image comes up on the screen. As usual I went thru the four stages of denial.. :? :sad: :ponder: :x

In my game deprived state of mind I decided to open her up and see if there was anything obvious. :twisted: After removing that pain in the neck RF shield I noticed one of the chips (or whatever it is) has a nice chunk missing from it.

The number is SN74...(3 or8)9N the chunk is where the missing numbers are. This baby is soldered to the board next to a socketed chip.. part number SK8323 CN32543N C019156A-08 copyright 1982 Atari.

I'm guessing this is the culprit. I noticed one of the pins on the AMI chip is bent up. Plus wires soldered from one chip to another. This was the fix to get it to work with the 2600 adapter right?

On top of that I think the galaxian, wizard of wor, and popeye carts are bad. I heard something rattling in the wiz cart so I opened it up (easy to do) and a bunch of dead bugs came out. The only thing in there was the connector (where the cart connects), nothing else. Is this normal?? :? :x

Anyway this baby is fried... any chance for recovery???

There's a 5200 Popeye at my local goodwill... The first 5200 game I ever saw... but I didn't get it because I have no hope of ever obtaining a 5200.

That's too bad since I found ALL of my 5200's and games from goodwill/thrift stores in my area about a year ago. Got 7 5200s and 45 different carts. All of them worked accept 1 controller. Have 15 controllers. Had no idea why this was happening all in about 3 months period at about 4 different stores within 5 miles from each other. Haven't seen anything 5200 since.

After removing that pain in the neck RF shield I noticed one of the chips (or whatever it is) has a nice chunk missing from it.

The number is SN74...(3 or8)9N the chunk is where the missing numbers are.  This baby is soldered to the board next to a socketed chip.. part number SK8323 CN32543N C019156A-08 copyright 1982 Atari.

Can you take a picture of that - that doesn't sound good! :sad: Does it look like the chip disintergrated, were there any traces of the broken off parts in there?

... but I didn't get it because I have no hope of ever obtaining a 5200.

Why have you given up hope? They are out there to be had - maybe not for $5, but you can pick one up on eBay pretty cheap - maybe someone in the forums has one for sale or trade? You can always ask. Don't give up man, all hope is not lost! :)

Well my enthusiasm while checking out my new 5200 hoard died, when I heard a nice little POP come from my 5200.  From that point on the machine could power on/off, but no game image comes up on the screen.  As usual I went thru the four stages of denial..    :?   :sad:   :ponder:  :x  

In my game deprived state of mind I decided to open her up and see if there was anything obvious.   :twisted: After removing that pain in the neck RF shield I noticed one of the chips (or whatever it is) has a nice chunk missing from it.

The number is SN74...(3 or8)9N the chunk is where the missing numbers are.  This baby is soldered to the board next to a socketed chip.. part number SK8323 CN32543N C019156A-08 copyright 1982 Atari.

I'm guessing this is the culprit.  I noticed one of the pins on the AMI chip is bent up.  Plus wires soldered from one chip to another.  This was the fix to get it to work with the 2600 adapter right?

On top of that I think the galaxian, wizard of wor, and popeye carts are bad.  I heard something rattling in the wiz cart so I opened it up (easy to do) and a bunch of dead bugs came out.  The only thing in there was the connector (where the cart connects), nothing else.  Is this normal??   :?  :x  

Anyway this baby is fried... any chance for recovery???

That part number is a demultiplexer/decoder logic chip (74LS139), it is soldered into the board to the left of the BIOS. These are pretty easily obtainable from online electronics stores. :)

After removing that pain in the neck RF shield I noticed one of the chips (or whatever it is) has a nice chunk missing from it.

Can you take a picture of that - that doesn't sound good! :sad: Does it look like the chip disintergrated, were there any traces of the broken off parts in there?

... but I didn't get it because I have no hope of ever obtaining a 5200.

Why have you given up hope? They are out there to be had - maybe not for $5, but you can pick one up on eBay pretty cheap - maybe someone in the forums has one for sale or trade? You can always ask. Don't give up man, all hope is not lost! :)

Hehe... I'm just mildy depressed at the moment. After a couple more recent purchases it may be a while before I can score another 5200, but who knows maybe someone in the forums will help me out.

Yeah the little spaces that is missing the numbers is completely disintegrated. It's the freakeast thing. It's like there a little bug ripped a small little chunk out of it. Or a miniature asteroid collided and created a crater lol.

And playing kangaroo and jungle hunt was bringing back suck great memories!! Lol. The Jungle hunt is very accurate to the arcades. Although I did notice when playing that some of the character grahics were messed up, and strange little lines kept poppint up here and there. I wonder if this was a sign the thing was about to blow.

Anyways before this happened I was debating on getting some type of alternate controller to make gaming a little easier (those buttons can be annoying), kept killing me in Dig Dug. Which the 5200 version actually rocks compared to that sorry sack they released for the 8-bit computers.

Well even if the multiplexor chip is replaced...you still have to wonder what the hell made that chip pop in the first place!!

And we are fairly certain that is wasn't something that Shannon did since the system had been playing fine and then all of sudden...*POP!*...*smoke*...*fizzle*.

It is just like when my 5200 switchbox popped on me. It was actually the transistor that popped...but it turned out to be a bad OpAmp that caused it in the first place. I guess an trace in that OpAmp burned out and caused some stray voltage to hit that transisitor in a way it wasn't meant to handle...hehe..

However, it was an easy $5 fix...actually much less since I had a spare OpAmp here...

I wish Shannon the best in getting this fixed. Wiz you should offer your assistance for an Atarian in need...!!

Wiz you should offer your assistance for an Atarian in need...!!

:ponder:

Those suckers are too heavy to ship around, last one I sent cost me $20.00 to ship. :x

I'd be happy to desolder a 139 from a dead 5200 and send it on over though. :)

OK Mr Wiz. I might just take you up on that offer..

My soldering skills aint the greatest, but then one of the nice things about 80's technology one doesn't have to be too careful. Things were spread apart better.

But your right... I was thinking the same thing... shipping is probably a killer. The funny thing is I also noticed my joystick connections (the player 1) was kinda fickle. I had to jiggle a little to get it to respond.

Anyways is there any particular soldering gun anyone would recommend? I think I have one laying around, but I want a newer one that may be easier to handle. The one I had always felt kinda awkward.

I use variable heat pencil-tip soldering irons and a hot air soldering station but those things are way expensive. Best bet is probably a cheap pencil-tip iron from a local electronics shop.

Well after a vanity session with the soldering iron and a few burnt fingers later I have officially declared my 5200 dead. :sad: I didn't have much luck with the socket thing-a-majiggie so I tried putting the chip straight on.

Not having a clue as to how things are supposed to work I tried to get it so it at least looked like the pins were connected. :ponder: Hooked the bad boy up to my tv, plugged it in, plugged in a cartridge. Turned it on. A nice pretty red screen came up. A couple subsequent re-powerings produced nice shades of red thru purple. :?

Viewing will be from 5-7pm eastern standard time July 3rd. The burial will be July 4th at 12pm.

Well at least I'll have a few spare chips for some other project like maybe a stereo pokey attempt.

Big thanks to cpuwiz for donating a chip for my hopeless cause. I think I'll stick to mowing grass. :D

Archived