IGNORED

Dead 5200 , techie needed please

Skatepunk60

how handy are you with an multimeter?

Well, I'd say find someone you trust who knows some electronics and let them look at it. If I was closer I would. You just need to see if the problem can be seen, or is deeper. And if it is a replaceable part.

Brad

While I am no expert...I may have the thing for you to check out. Do you have a 2 port or 4 port unit? I only ask because my 4 port was doing the exact same thing when I first got it. But since the light came on on the unit just fine...I knew the power supply had to be good. I finally tracked it down to my 4 ports switchbox. The relay wasn't kicking over to actually display the game. For the cost of only about 5 bucks I was able to repair my switchbox. It appears that either the previous owner did something similar...or they plugged an 800 power supply into the thing. I could never figure out which. But I Had to replace the Opamp and Transistor in the switchbox. After that...my 5200 has been going strong.

So if you have a 4 port unit...see if you can hear it switch over. If not...then that might actually be your problem.

Let us know.

Hmmm...well..take the case shell off..and open up the shielding. You might actually then be able to either see...or smell what could have gone out. It is possible that one of the chips on the thing was taken out in the short. But I do not know the 5200 nearly as well as I would like. I am very novice electronics guy anyway. I can handle a soldering iron and know how to use a Multimeter...if given the info to check and testpoints locations. But otherwise I would be in the dark as well. I have an Intellivision that does almost the exact same thing. I know it isn't the chips as I swapped them all out with antoher one I have that works...and it still did it. So either my RF isn't working on that unit...or...WAIT!!!!...There has to be a Voltage Regulator in that thing...in fact I know there is!!...Okay...I am not sure what kind it is...but Atari was incredibly fond of 7805 +5 volt regulators. There should be one in the area of the rf cable I would imagine.

It is totally possible that it blew on you in the short. I had a heavy sixer that would only give me a black screen when I turned it on...but since it went from static to black screen...I knew the RF was fine. Turned out to be a $2.50 Voltage Regulator I picked up at Radio Shack...and BOOM!!...in a good way...that 2600 now sits proudly in front of the TV on the floor of my Mom's house where she plays Ms. Pac-Man for hours on end!

Anybody else with any other ideas?

well...unfortunately...I haven't realy found a way to reliably test a voltage reg. Might research it a bit online. Perhaps you could understand it better than I. But basically the voltage regualtor actually switches the voltage to the components to make it all work. When they fail...you will get the black screen of death as you are. They are cheap enough...and I assume they are 7805 +5v regulators. Atari used different numbers on their parts...but almost all of their regulators were 7805s. I wonder why no one else has responded with ideas? I am not sure which could be bad if they even are. But I am hoping that is where what got taken out when the short accured. You could just run down to radio shack and get two new ones and stick them on to see what happens.

Beyond this...I really haven't any other quick ideas. I suppose one of the chips could have gotten blown but they are pretty damn sturdy to be honest.

Good luck with this...I hate to see any Atari that DOA.

• 1 month later...