IGNORED

Altirra 3.20 released

phaeron

36 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Ok, that explains it, thanks. There's also a bug in 3.90 that's been around since 3.20 but I can't tell you how to reproduce it. It's much reduced in 3.90 and I've only seen it once so far. I'm waiting for it to occur again so I can get a screenshot. The first symptom is the sector counters shown when reading/writing stop displaying. Once that happens, if you select a drop down menu, say File, with the View Printer pane already being displayed, the drop down menu doesn't disappear after you select an item and click. It remains there on the left over the black border. At that point different things happen. Altirra will not redraw it's window if something is brought into focus in front of it and then minimized, you're left with the just the window outline. The printer view pane becomes non-functional, as in output from a program ceases to be added to it. At some point in the process, emulation itself eventually stops. It used to happen a lot in 3.20, much less so as I said in this last build but I have seen it at least once. If I can get a screenshot of it, I'll pass it along. I am always in 65816 mode running Dataque's Turbo-816 OS, so perhaps it's related to the 816 emulation. There really doesn't seem to be anything common that I do to cause it, other than loads of using the Action! editor and running the Six Forks assembler and linker.

These symptoms are kind of all over the place. They're all at the host rendering level, though, so they don't sound like the kind that would be affected by emulation.

Which version of Windows are you using? The printer pane renders using GDI while the display pane is typically Direct3D, so it's strange for them to interact in any way. The symptoms are somewhat consistent with running out of global GDI or USER resources, but that's pretty rare on current versions of Windows. When it happens, you can try bringing up Task Manager in Details mode with the GDI and USER handle columns active -- if some program is leaking global IDs it should show up as a large spike in this view. Another sign to watch out for is if you start seeing fonts revert to FixedSys.

This with Win 7 Enterprise, with Service Pack 1 applied. If it happens again, I’ll try your suggestion. I don’t think I’ve seen the font change. It always starts with sector display not happening any more. After that it’s kind of random what goes wrong next but the drop down menu not erasing is usually the next thing I notice and it’s not long after that that everything goes wrong.

Just for a pov, I like many use Altirra and awful lot and I have never seen what you say is happening, between testing stuff and having far too much time on my hands Altirra gets a good bashing daily so I would have expected to see what you say. Obviously it IS happening to you, wish there was a way to reproduce it so we all could see it. I'm on the same as you with a genuine OS.

19 hours ago, MrFish said:

I'm pretty sure .PAL and .ACT are just different extensions for the same file type.

No, they are not. Microsoft's .PAL format contains a header and stores 4 bytes for each colour. .act is just raw data with 3 bytes per colour.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pseudografx said:

No, they are not. Microsoft's .PAL format contains a header and stores 4 bytes for each colour. .act is just raw data with 3 bytes per colour.

Interesting, because I've taken many .PAL files, output from Altirra, renamed them to .ACT, and then used them in Photoshop and they work perfectly.

2 hours ago, pseudografx said:

I just attempted to load a .PAL file from Altirra into Photoshop and got this message. This is probably why I attempted to change the extension (before) and found out it worked (it's been a few years ago, when I first did it).

550928110_NotPAL.png.ed55ad6b98d46ba2e1779e91ae3b196d.png

On 5/8/2020 at 7:45 PM, phaeron said:

Those are parameter-matched. Altirra can't use .PAL files directly because it needs the generation parameters for the palette and not just the final colors. You can get the main screen to be more blue by adjusting the Hue Start and Hue Step parameters -- I have tried to match some pictures that I have seen from PAL systems but it is a bit difficult. If you can post a picture from your PAL Atari of the COLORMAP utility from Altirra's Additions disk, I can see if I can come up with parameters to better match it.

Thanks! I had no idea this was even an option. I set Hue Start to 42° based solely on my memory of what the default shade of blue looks like (also, y'know, 42), and while the rest of the colours are probably wildly inaccurate Altirra is now a much more nostalgic experience when I'm only using SpartaDos and BASIC.

My XEGS is temporarily hooked up to a portable LCD with questionable colour accuracy, otherwise I'd use that to calibrate it properly.

56 minutes ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

My XEGS is temporarily hooked up to a portable LCD with questionable colour accuracy, otherwise I'd use that to calibrate it properly.

Even if you had a reference-quality flat panel display, it simply won't looks the same as the CRT look of our youths. Just take a look at any Lucasarts game - on a CRT, the background will appear brownish/red ("rust" colored) on a CRT, but will lean decidedly toward green on a flat panel out of the same Atari. 

5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Even if you had a reference-quality flat panel display, it simply won't looks the same as the CRT look of our youths. Just take a look at any Lucasarts game - on a CRT, the background will appear brownish/red ("rust" colored) on a CRT, but will lean decidedly toward green on a flat panel out of the same Atari. 

Ah, but I have a 90s Nokia CRT that still (miraculously) produces a sharp image, so I’m planning to use that for reference. Unfortunately it’s a few hours’ drive away at the moment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Eyvind Bernhardsen said:

@phaeron, I connected the Atari to my projector and have attached some photos of that. Based on the photos I've adjusted "Hue start" to -37°, which looks decent for colour 1/15 and the blue/green transition. Colour 4 should be purpler but I can't find any way to fix that while keeping the blue and green colours correct, and every time I touch the "Hue step" bar the colours go completely crazy. It seems like the reds should be bluer?

This is UAV S-video through a Framemeister to a projector, photographed with an iPhone.

Oh, and I just noticed a typo in my previous post - it was supposed to read -42°, not 42°.

IMG_0771.jpeg

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldelsarte said:

@Eyvind Bernhardsen Can I ask where I can find this software that generate this "Atari control picture" & "Even / Odd artifacting"? It looks great and should be very useful to test various configurations. Thanks in advance.

The first one is the Colormap utility from the Altirra Addons disk that’s included with the Altirra distribution.

The second is ACPRocky, which I downloaded from a thread on this forum. I don’t know where it originally came from.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

The emulated colors are very different depending on the selected display API (DD, D3D etc.). It also causes problems with Video Recording, because it is done with DirectDraw I think, therefore if you have emulator configured for any other display API, the recording then looks very bad.

• Like 1

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test33.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-3.90-test33-src.zip

• Fix for an issue in the rescaler when scaling video down in the 64-bit version.
  • Added documentation for properties supported in custom effects (.cgp).

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

Hi,

The emulated colors are very different depending on the selected display API (DD, D3D etc.). It also causes problems with Video Recording, because it is done with DirectDraw I think, therefore if you have emulator configured for any other display API, the recording then looks very bad.

No. The video recorder does not use DirectDraw and you should not be seeing significant color differences between the different display API modes. The only cases where you will are if you have opt-ed into either the 16-bit display mode for speed or have "use hardware acceleration for screen effects" enabled with bloom turned on Adjust Screen Effects, since that effect is display-only. Check your video driver settings to see if you have a color correction or other rendering override set for 3D graphics.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My Altirra "Wish List":

-Old values on the cheater. Very useful!:

altirra390-cheater-old-values.gif.e3ee58130f8a7508ab6d1e5d496f4454.gif

-Show filenames already mounted on Drag & Drop mount disk area:

altirra-mount-filenames.gif.36f217867dfaced6a8d82b0a65bba6c7.gif

-Drag & Drop on disk explorer tool too.

-After entering address in disassembly window and hitting enter, would be nice if address was prefaced in scrolling window with the blinking cursor(like is it after clicking on a JMP address) so it's easier to locate.

-Any chance of a "real-time" memory viewer in the "Debug" section, something like the FCEU NES emulator has?:

vaoBePa.gif

-Printer: Ability to output the raw data to a file. Maybe "turn on" printer would create a buffer(in emulator), all raw printer data would go there, and "turn off" printer(and/or exit emulator) dumps buffer to file? Or even open file at start of printer activity and close after a time-out of no data being sent(say 8 seconds or so), use sequential file numbering on filenames?

-Printer: Even more ambitious. An MX80 "Device". Would process the commands sent from Printer Programs(such as Print Shop) and output to standard PC graphics files(one image file per page) or even to a PDF(all pages in one file).

And, lastly, a potential "Typo" report:

-diskwritesec description in debugger help may need a fix:

altirra390-help-text-issue.gif.deb9226052b8a83fbab3b819778c80e1.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EddyFree said:

-Drag & Drop on disk explorer tool too.

I assume you mean for disk images? It already supports drag-and-drop for files.

-After entering address in disassembly window and hitting enter, would be nice if address was prefaced in scrolling window with the blinking cursor(like is it after clicking on a JMP address) so it's easier to locate.

Can't, the caret is tied to the keyboard focus and the disassembly window doesn't switch focus from the address field to the scrolling view on Enter. If it did, you wouldn't be able to get back to it easily.

-Any chance of a "real-time" memory viewer in the "Debug" section, something like the FCEU NES emulator has?:

I don't want this enabled by default for performance reasons, but I suppose it could be an option. There have been other requests for memory viewer functionality, so it could use an overhaul.

-diskwritesec description in debugger help may need a fix:

Fixed.

By the way, those screenshots are all from Windows XP -- you should be aware that I am going to be dropping support for XP and Vista in the next version. So if you are running XP, even if I do add these features, you won't be able to run the new version unless you upgrade to at least Windows 7.

13 minutes ago, Keatah said:

A sad day.

C'mon, please don't start this again. I warned that this was coming last year on page 1 of this thread, and you've gotten a reprieve since I was originally going to drop support for XP on this release instead of the next release and 3.90-final will still run on XP. I think I'm being generous enough here given that the new baseline of Windows 7 just fell out of official support.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Since you are taking requests.... ?

On the Input mapping, allow the Console controller to map to any arbitrary key on the keyboard.  Currently, it only seems to allow the Space Bar, along with the console keys.

If I could map a Joy Button to any key, then I can have a button trigger Hyperspace in Defender.  Currently, I have a Joy Button mapped to the Space Bar, so I can use a Smart Bomb from the Joystick.  Other games, such as Star Raiders, would also benefit from this capability.

It would also be nice if we could map a Joy Button to the second & third buttons on custom joysticks.  There is a lengthy thread here about making 2+ button joysticks, and several games have already been updated to take advantage of them.

I'd like to try just once more ( ;) ) to kindly ask for  possibility to load external .act palettes, instead of only choosing predefined ones (among them included Oliver's and Jakub's, that most likely are originated from .act files anyway ;) ).

Edited by Jacques

5 hours ago, EddyFree said:

My Altirra "Wish List":

-Show filenames already mounted on Drag & Drop mount disk area:

As I´m on Mac, I´m used to Atari800MacX which I totally love for it´s ease of use. I run Altirra with wine, but always struggle with some basic stuff, which I´m used to have on a800macx.

Something like the media window and the keys window would be great to have in Altirra:

a800macx.thumb.jpg.6c5b4a1face9c28f8c84284cdc3e5574.jpg

All the Icons are drap&drop areas: For example put an ATR on D1: and the drive will be switched on and the disk mounted automatically.