IGNORED

Incredible Hulk prototype

Sanjou Miretou

Early screenshots used in pre-release advertising are often completely faked.  A scan from a magazine that proports to include a screenshot is not proof that a prototype was created.

:idea: IMO this "screenshot" is definitely a fake!

I can see no way how to create so many different playfield colors in a row. This was already tough with my Turbo fake (3 colors/row -> 1 static and 2 changes) but here you would need 5 colors (~2 + 4 = ~6 changes!).

So no "April Fool!" Hulk from me. :D

I don't know, maybe I'm just optimistic when it comes to the "Long Lost" stuff, but we have seen LOTR, Ewok Adv., and the thrill a minute McDonalds show up from that catalog! I'm still waiting for James Bond: Octopussy to surface- that one at least had ads run for it!

Didn't Digital Press stick up a bunch of pics of prototypes they found and were sitting on about a year ago? If I remember, there were all kinds of cart shells in there. Whatever became of that?

Those screenshots look cool (and somewhat like Survival Run), but I seriously doubt something like that could be done on the 2600 and still manage to play well. But then, I'm neither a programmer nor a 2600 tech expert, so anything's possible.

I will say it's too bad this was never released, would've made a great companion piece to Spider Man.

Who remembers Imagic's "Murder On The Orient Express" for the 2600?

Electronic Fun magazine published a phony game review in an April Fool issue. The game was called "Orient Express" for the 2600 by Imagin (clue to the hoax). The screenshot was MORE than impossible for a 2600 game or even a Colecovision game. The game concept was actually rather entertaining.

The punchline: a competing magazine soon published a review of the phony game and thereby severaly embarassed themsleves.

But game mags of today would never review a game thay hadn't played, right? Uh. . . right?

Who remembers Imagic's "Murder On The Orient Express" for the 2600?

Electronic Fun magazine published a phony game review in an April Fool issue. The game was called "Orient Express" for the 2600 by Imagin (clue to the hoax).

The punchline: a competing magazine soon published a review of the phony game and thereby severaly embarassed themsleves.

Ding ding! That's 100 points to NovaXpress for getting not only the reference, and the implication (whyfor I posted it), but also correcting a couple details I screwed up!

But game mags of today would never review a game thay hadn't played, right? Uh. . . right?

For the most part, that's probably true, but... well... you never know.

For the most part, that's probably true, but... well... you never know.

It wasn't long ago that EGM was lifting material straight of of Usenet and publishing it verbatim as their own. In particular I remember them using a Mortal Kombat II move list that deliberately had false moves added - EGM printed them all.

I would think that there IS a Hulk proto out there somewhere. Yes the screenshot is fake, but I venture to guess that whoever 'made' the screenshot for the catalog did indeed see a real proto. Look at the other 'screenshots' in the PB catalog. LOTR, McDonalds. These more or less looked just the way the actual protos did. Something must (or must have) existed......

I would think that there IS a Hulk proto out there somewhere. Yes the screenshot is fake, but I venture to guess that whoever 'made' the screenshot for the catalog did indeed see a real proto. Look at the other 'screenshots' in the PB catalog. LOTR, McDonalds. These more or less looked just the way the actual protos did. Something must (or must have) existed......

The classic gaming era is filled with artist-rendered "screenshots" of games that we know never even made it to the development stage. Often the drawing would come first with the programmer trying to copy it. It's easy enough to draw up a fake game. With 70s/80s camera technology actual screenshots often looked bad in print so the paintings were very common.

Now it may be of note that Parker Bros wasn't known for doing this. That may be telling us something. But one thing about LOTR and McDeath's is that anecdotal evidence of their existence was floating around long before the games surfaced. Everyone believes that Turbo by Coleco really exists because of testimony from those who've seen it. At this point, no one has claimed to have seen or known anything about a Hulk game.

Archived