IGNORED

Sokoban

Andrew Davie

Hi Andrew,

On 7/28/2019 at 6:02 AM, Andrew Davie said:

Well, after all these years... here it is.

I'm talking about the source code for the "tile engine" developed between 2003 and 2011 by Thomas Jentzsch and myself. The one used in Boulder Dash(TM) and now, of course this implementation of Sokoban(TM). Thomas and I spent many years perfecting it, and we are both extremely proud of the work we did on that one. It wouldn't have been nearly as capable without both of us contributing, and I would like to emphasise that we were equal partners on this code!

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to looking through this. Boulder Dash(TM) is an impressive masterpiece.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DEBRO said:

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for sharing. I look forward to looking through this. Boulder Dash(TM) is an impressive masterpiece.

You are welcome. You will, of course, find absolutely NONE of the BD implementation in there. All of the generic tile engine is there. Just no BD stuff.

If you missed our live Twitch broadcast of us playing Andrew Davie's Sokoban (and Boulder Dash) yesterday, below is the YouTube archived version of the show!! Be sure to subscribe to the ZeroPage Homebrew Youtube, Twitch and Facebook channels (links below) so you don't miss any upcoming episodes!

We played this new game by Andrew Davie right after we played the retail boxed copy of his game Boulder Dash and were honoured enough to have both Andrew Davie and Thomas Jentzsch, both programmers of Boulder Dash, in the chat while we were broadcasting live!

(Sokoban starts at 1:45:54)

SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY
Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4

Great show everyone.  Just caught the re-run on Twitch.  Would have loved to catch this one during the livestream, but I work took precedence.

@groundtrooper My “grails” were Boulder Dash and Thrust+ Combat Pack too.  

@johnnywc @ZeroPage Homebrew Not trying to rush anything, but I can’t wait to see Lunar Lander on ZPH. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sramirez2008 said:

Great show everyone.  Just caught the re-run on Twitch.  Would have loved to catch this one during the livestream, but I work took precedence.

@groundtrooper My “grails” were Boulder Dash and Thrust+ Combat Pack too.  

@johnnywc @ZeroPage Homebrew Not trying to rush anything, but I can’t wait to see Lunar Lander on ZPH. 

And Ladybug limited edition. But I also checked that one off in 2018.

• Like 2

I wrote a quick-and-dirty tool to convert arbitrary images to a 3-colour interleaved chronocolour(TM) format. The idea was that I was going to use this for a full-screen title, and I wanted to see if it would work. Well, it's a bit kludgy but here's a few examples... no flicker, of course, and actually not too bad. I think this is going to work. Screenshots only - binary looks exactly the same...  colours are kind of arbitrary; I haven't spent a lot of time trying to get them "good"...

Edit: When I say "3-colour" I meant 3 scanlines of set colours. But the image itself is effectively 8 colours, using combinations of those scanlines. You can sort-of-see this if you count the colours in the SOKOBOO screen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.34.02 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.41.34 am.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 12.44.31 am.png

Edited by Andrew Davie
  • Like 5

On 8/4/2019 at 7:35 AM, Andrew Davie said:

I've integrated a first-pass colourful title screen into the game. Somehow I've also broken the "move counter" but I'll fix that later. I was rather keen to show the title screen which is rather awesome.

sokoboo_20190804.bin 32 kB · 15 downloads

Love the title screen, but upon startup, it rolls a bit on actual hardware (UnoCart).  BTW, the USA2 flag bin looks great.:thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Love the title screen, but upon startup, it rolls a bit on actual hardware (UnoCart).  BTW, the USA2 flag bin looks great.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the feedback. This is the first I've seen it running on an actual TV. I'll work on getting the frames correct, and NTSC/PAL selection back in for the next version. I'm surprised how well the colour bars (particularly the bottom one) has come up. Better than Stella, I think. Looks pretty good to my eye. Would you be able to get me a screenshot of USA2 flag, too?  Ta :)

I have increased the number of character rows from 8 to 9. This improves the visibility of the playing area, and still fits within line limitations of NTSC. I've also (mostly) fixed up PAL/NTSC line counts, so the next version this evening will be dual-system and, as I said, 9 rows. I must say, the mixing of colours in PAL with the interleaved chronocolour(TM) seems to produce much nicer combinations than with NTSC.  Screenshot shows PAL, 9 character row screen...

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 11.33.30 am.png

• Like 2