IGNORED

Turgen System 8.6.13 Coming Soon

baktra

Shame on me, the new Tape side creation tool had serious bugs in post processing (completely bogus symbolic substitution, external programs getting stuck, no way to cancel).

The 8.6.16 has been deleted and 8.6.16a has been released. Whoever has 8.6.16, please uninstall and re-install 8.6.16a which rectifies the problems.

As compensation, you get three presets for MP3,OGG and FLAC external programs.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Hi baktra, thanks for the reply,

I think I know someone who might be able to host it and its a wonderful offer from you, as long as you are sure?

I'll let others chip in as to what they think is most practical..

Again thank you.

Paul.

That would be great!

Few more technical notes for the post-processing in general.

The Tape side creation post-processing is working just fine with 8.6.16a. The key was to add code that swallows output from the external programs (to do it right, you need to spawn two parallel threads, one swallowing stderr, another swallowing stdout). Absence of this swallowing results in the external program becoming stuck - the buffers for stdout and stderr get full). I am grateful for the comprehensive "When Runtime.exec() won't..." article.

Some of the external programs can generate a lot of output by default (e.g. LAME). The output is displayed in the report box. If it is too much, you can look for command line options that reduce or suppress output. These are external program-specific, of course.

The standard Wave output and Tape image post-processing still suffers from the same problem. Until this is fixed, the only way to go is to specify command line options that reduce or suppress output. No one reported this problem, which indicates the post-processing is not used.

11 minutes ago, archeocomp said:

Thanks for the tape. Soooo many games on only one cassette. Turgen is installed, but I will need (a lot of) time to get to it.

The product documentation (Help -> Documentation), and the wiki are a good start. Turgen System is not that difficult to use (for its complexity). It just requires certain level of Atari-related technical knowledge.

2 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thank you Baktra, hopefully the long term hosting is being organised between you and who I mentioned..

It is :-). I will allow some window for feedback and then it will be moved to permanent location.

I tried to use it with Altirra, well until I saw the mp3 files, I used Audacity to convert to a wav but Altirra just bombs, I'm no audiophile and apart from knowing that Atari tapes have one channel for program data and the other used for any audio accompaniment that is my expertise on converting tapes :)

Help :)

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I tried to use it with Altirra, well until I saw the mp3 files, I used Audacity to convert to a wav but Altirra just bombs, I'm no audiophile and apart from knowing that Atari tapes have one channel for program data and the other used for any audio accompaniment that is my expertise on converting tapes :)

Help :)

Step #1 is correct. Use Audacity to convert the mp3 to WAV.

Step #2 Ensure you have Altirra 3.90 configured to emulate a standard XL/XE machine with at least 64 KB of RAM, PAL. Choose Standard Atari OS too.

What is next?

1. Setup Altirra to handle Turbo 2000. Go to System, Configure System, Cassette.

Set Turbo Support to "Enabled (Command control)".

Deselect all boxes beginning with "Auto boot...". Deselect "Invert turbo data" and "Prefilter signal..." boxes too.

Also deselect the "Auto rewind on startup" box.

2. Get yourself a turbo loader cartridge. Open it with Altirra (8KB Phoenix cartridge). You will see the blue screen of VisiCopy III turbo loader/copier

3. Open the WAVE file: File, Cassette, Load.

4. Press ESC to load and start ("ZAVEDENI A SPUSTENI") . After 11 seconds of silence and dark screen, you will see horizontal loading bars and the first game will load.

If you want to load next game, just perform cold start to re-activate the cartridge and goto #4.

• Like 1

Sorry, my fault, I should have been more clear, when I converted in Audacity to wav, tried the 3 versions of wav but Altirra claimed it was an unknown format when trying load load the wav...

In Audacity what are the steps to convert it properly....

The loading stuff I'm aware of but thank you for making them clear..

Thank you Baktra for the help, the audio stuff is not my thing, I sort of understand it to a degree ie normalising but the difference in all the formats ie PCM etc etc is just words to me, I understand lossless and lossy :)

36 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Sorry, my fault, I should have been more clear, when I converted in Audacity to wav, tried the 3 versions of wav but Altirra claimed it was an unknown format when trying load load the wav...

In Audacity what are the steps to convert it properly....

The loading stuff I'm aware of but thank you for making them clear..

Thank you Baktra for the help, the audio stuff is not my thing, I sort of understand it to a degree ie normalising but the difference in all the formats ie PCM etc etc is just words to me, I understand lossless and lossy :)

If Altirra states "... uses an unsupported WAV format", then ensure that when exporting from Audacity ("File->Export->Export as WAV") you choose "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM" in the "Save as type" box.

Apparently, Altirra doesn't accept float or 24-bit samples. Such precision would be an overkill, anyway.

Good luck.

1 minute ago, Mclaneinc said:

Thanks again Baktra...May your tape heads never oxidise :)

Thanks. Ironically, my only decent tape deck is under repair in an apparently overloaded Hi-Fi repair shop. Estimated repair time? One month ?

Wow...How this virus has rerouted everything..

And thank you, I actually didn't know about that cart, I knew of other loaders but not that one so an extra thank you for superb support there..

Edited by Mclaneinc

1 hour ago, archeocomp said:

Nakamichi Dragon? ?

That would be a waste to use such a glorious tape deck to record ehm... beeping and screeching ?

For someone from the Czech republic, TESLA SM260 or SM261 would be more fitting, however I use Denon UDR-F88. It is nothing breathtaking, but it has one virtue - it is small and works as a standalone unit.

9 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

Wow...How this virus has rerouted everything..

And thank you, I actually didn't know about that cart, I knew of other loaders but not that one so an extra thank you for superb support there..

No problem. Please let us know if you made it working with Altirra.