IGNORED

Microsoft's Return of Arcade woes

I got my "new" computer back 3 days ago. I use to be a Windows 95 computer, but we gutted it and installed all new hardware and installed windows 2000 Pro.

Apparently, my Return of Arcade wont run on win2Kpro. I dont see it listed on the back of the box. I tried to go to Microsofts website and there is no patch or anything to make it run on win2k.

Now I am royally pissed off now. :x

Anyway...I'd just play the games in Mame

I give up on emulators. They dont come with instructions on how to work them. I gave up and removed them so I can get my HD space back. I tried to ask in the Emulation thread on how to use either MESS or PT, but nobody responded (long ago).

Anyway...I'd just play the games in Mame

I give up on emulators. They dont come with instructions on how to work them. I gave up and removed them so I can get my HD space back. I tried to ask in the Emulation thread on how to use either MESS or PT, but nobody responded (long ago).

The problem is that you are using an emulator-unfriendly OS. Emulators these days (including Mame...which used to be a real headache for many people) pretty much take care of themselves and run "right out of the box".

Quite frankly, NT/2000 sucks for gaming.

Not true for 2000 anyway. Most games DO work, and work well. I'd wager that 99% of PC games released after 1999 will work with Windows 2000 as well as a large percentage of the games before 1999. About the only games I have that don't work are BattleZone I & II.

Who cares anyway, just so long as MAME and every Win32 emulator works. :D

Frozen yogurt's smoother, and all around better for you. I've never noticed a difference in the quality of the product when both options came from the same manufacturer. I could go for some of either right about now though... Damn digression. Making me hungry.

I'm running Win2k, and have no problems running MAME (with a frontend program), ZSNES, JNES, VirtuaNES, PC Atari, eSMS, Virtual Colecovision, Nostalgia (Intellivision), GENS (Genesis), etc. etc. etc. If you're having problems running emulators on Win2k, you're running the wrong ones. All the emulators I listed have GUIs, and don't require knowledge of DOS commands, THANK F**KING GOD. Here's a great place to get them and frontends for them as well:

http://www.zophar.net/index.phtml

Look under Emulators For Windows/DOS.

Although, I must say that the classic console emulators are no, I repeat, NO substitute for the actual consoles themselves. The controls just aren't as good. Plus, sometimes the responses of onscreen objects to the controls are off by a fraction of a second, just enough to throw your game off. I've had no such problems with MAME, though, which, short of spending a few hundred grand for your own working full-size arcade, is the ONLY way to go for classic arcade games, especially when on a computer that's built into an arcade-style cabinet. If I had a spare 5 grand and a basement, you can be sure I'd have one yesterday.

Hmm. I've never found 2000/XP to be "emulator unfriendly". I often run MAME, Z26, COLEM, and lots of others. WinXP has additional options to better support older Windows and DOS programs, but 2000 does OK for most things I've tried.

I'd never go back to Win98 on any machine where I need to do actual work, but on an older system that's intended mostly for games then it is the path of least resistance. I have a Win98 box next to my TV for just that sort of thing.

mess is pretty much useless IMO, not worth your time.. what is this PT you are talking about?

No way dude, MESS is awesome! When was the last time you tried it :?

MESS lives up to it's name.

I'll take standalone emus any day.

mess is pretty much useless IMO, not worth your time.. what is this PT you are talking about?

No way dude, MESS is awesome! When was the last time you tried it :?

MESS lives up to it's name.

I'll take standalone emus any day.

Oh ya? Care to give an example? I'd much rather have all my emulation needs taken care of with a single program with a single style of interface, than with 20 different programs all with different interfaces.

You guys are completely nuts :?

My .02 worth...

Win 2k works well with all of the emu's I tried. It also would play the Microsoft Return of Arcade DEMO (it's on one of the Windows CD's, 95, I think...)IF you set the compatibility to Windows 95 (I think that was the setting.) Ironically, on my XP Home edition, I did'nt need to do that.

Mess is wonderful! I can satisfy my old machine cravings nicely (except for Atari 2600 and NES: I use Stella and Nesticle for them.) In fact, Mess is my only choice for several consoles: Channel F (yay!), O2 (the old O2em is way too fast on my machine and tends to argue with Windows over which controls the machine :wink: ) and Vectrex. That's the one emulator I have had issues with under XP (but worked in 2k, go figure.)

Since I don't collect the actual machines any more (sad, sad story), MESS and emulation in general are about the only way I can play now. Once I have the room, though...

Anyway, I think the original poster was trying to play Return of Arcade...I *THINK* Microsoft is releasing an update to it. Seems to me I saw a blurb about it. There is also a sequel. I'd look for an alternative, though. I believe all of the games can be found in other collections (there is an Atari and Namco collection) and if you have a semi modern console, the same collection was available for: Nintendo 64, Game Boy Advance, Playstation, X-Box, GameCube and, I think, for the SNES too. Oh yeah, I think Dreamcast as well.

Happy hunting!

Archived