IGNORED

Is CTIA rare?

Jeffrey Worley

I have a couple of 800 machines of early make which still have CTIA chips aboard.  Is this chip rare these days?  Back when, first thing we'd do on encountering one is swap it for a GTIA, toss it in the trash, and adjust the vpot for the new GTIA.

I plan to do just this, but wonder if there is a need or want for these chips in the field of emulation, collection, or museums.

Best,

Jeff

Check if those machines also have the rev A OS too.

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

We had a discussion about this some years back.  I think the consensus was that, yes they're rare, but not really worth anything.  They're interesting curiosities and should be saved though.

Heh I recalled that as well, and found the thread: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/198069-800-with-ctia-what-now/

I've got one or two laying around. But I'm not sure what I'd ever use them for...it's not a chip I'd want to put back in my 800 and I've got extra GTIA's too, so I doubt I'd ever need it in a pinch either to keep my 800 running.