IGNORED

BBS Screen Creator Version 2A (Update)

Hello everyone:

I have worked 18 or more hours on my BBS screen creator, basically it takes any text and rewrites it in Inverse Video, coming soon will be color codes and as I am using an array now to store the screens in, they are easily manipulated, IE: fancy borders done around the text and I am focusing on 40 column text for the Atari8 Bit line of computers. My program is taking shape, but I need to ge some sleep , as I am one of those types to focus on nothing but the programming at hand, and often program for 18-20 hour stretches or until I tire out. And I have just done that, tired out !!!! So I am no good for programming until after about 12 hours sleep. I will however upload the atr file, and hope that someone can see the logic in my programming , and maybe help me to use Atari Basic more efficiently.  Here is the atr file:

BBS_Screen_Creator_2_A.atr

so it runs on an 800 series and will generate screen in Atascii and VT52.... it will then output two files... one in ATASCII and one in VT52 for uses on any BBS that pushes text pages from files...

you could do a companion that runs on the ST as well so it's the same experience to be has across the line.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yes I already have a working copy of the 8 bit version, release 3.0, I will upload it, I simplified it quite a bit and it works now, the program is supposed to do both 8 bit and ST, tonight i will work on the ST part, but it is all written on an Atari 8 bit with 64 K.

Here is the updated atr, much simpler and direct:  BBS_Screen_Creator_3_A.atr

I basically strip out the chars (10) and replace each char with the same value but add 128 to it, chars (13) get replaced with chars (155), everything is read and written with get and put. Output depends on your source file, if it has extra chars they too will be printed , I have yet to filter them out. What I eventually want t do is have the user actually type in each line (and put it out to file), but that is coming soon. If I think hard enough I can do almost anything on both the 8 bit and ST with programming in Basic.

Russ

Edited by rcamp48
Added some text

Well, I have done now what a lot of you were after, the ability to type into a line on the Atari 8 Bit, and have the output appear as inverse video, it allows for editing of the CURRENT line only, then shows you what your output will look like for that line, quite easy to add error correction to it, the way it is the program will display the output on the screen and then write it to disk as ATASCII, VT52 is not yet in the works, but will be coming. It allows you to also write out existing files as Atascii, I don't want to re-invent the wheel and write a  complete editor, the Atari Basic editor is good enough as it is. As i am using puts and gets to read and write both source and destination, the output is precise. Russ

Now there is version 4a, stream lined and semi finished, it now uses SpartaDos instead of Dos 2.5 , all files are streamlined and on one disk, in sub folders, including the OUTPUT folder, the new program handles sub directories perfectly, and gives you the ability to add more in the source code.  Russ

Here is the new atr: BBS_Screen_Creator_4a.atr

Edited by rcamp48
Update

Now to add borders to my new screen creator, thats what I am working on next, at least until midnight.... call my BBS if you want t chat to me about it, its right beside my 8 bit computer and now online 24/7 while I am working on the 8 bit. Russ

PS: I will also be looking on here too....

Edit: My software now has the original Forem text files on it, not mine, more useful.

BBS_Screen_Creator_5a.atr

Edited by rcamp48
Add new file
  • Like 1