IGNORED

We need a better Pole Position!

Greg2600

• 4 years later...

5 years later

Before qualifying begins, could the words, "Prepare to Qualify" appear on the screen?

image.jpeg.a5e96760b1a953d21aebd5a07ee9d0e4.jpeg

It doesn't have to speak it.  Just writing the words on the screen is enough IMO.  

And after you successfully qualify, could your place (1st - 8th) appear on the screen in large type for a moment so you wouldn't have to look in the instruction manual to see how you placed based on your lap time?  

image.png.403589a73ee3b82ff904f7b088e230bf.png  image.jpeg.cd9f20de832bce8fb0b40cc9ac7eb0db.jpeg  

Your lap time was 56.98 seconds.  According to the chart, you qualified 1st for the Grand Prix (Pole Position!).  Let's show that information on the screen.  

When you get extended time, the car flashes and four fast beeps are heard.  I like that.  I think that's enough to let you know you got it.  (No need to flash the words "Extended Time" on the screen IMO.)  

IMO the game is a racing masterpiece and I wouldn't change anything about the game itself. 

UPDATE: Or could they add the voice sample of "Prepare to Qualify" from the arcade game like they did with voice samples for Voice Enhanced Berzerk?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, Supergun said:

I disagree. I actually loved 2600 Pole Position. I wouldn’t change a thing. The only thing I “added” (and still add to this day!) is every time I play I always say: “Prepare to Qualify” out loud when the opening chime music ends. It’s a habit. I can’t help myself.

Hahaha. I do exactly the same thing. Every time.

-Ben

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 11:12 AM, Impaler_26 said:

Is this the hack you're talking about? Looks like the ROM was released after all...

Checkered Flag (Pole Position Hack) (2005) (Thomas Jentzsch).bin 8 kB · 147 downloads

Thanks - didn’t know this hack! @Thomas Jentzschmaybe you have or can do a PAL version of it please? 🥺