IGNORED

How to do a basic wait prompt?

Roydea6

380 IF PEEK(20)>250 THEN ? "+";
This is what I have tried but doesn't look good.  This is also counting over 900 files to add to program.  The plus signs '+' show in groups of three (3). And displays 5-6 groups before program starts.  I also want to keep the wait prompt to one graphics 0 36 character line.

I have tried other characters and the plus sign was the best looking for me.

If you know how many files are being read or whatever, then how about a countdown instead?

You can lower CPU load by doing a custom display list which has just 1 or 2 text lines instead of 24.

You can speed up Basic repetitive operations by putting those parts near the beginning of the program.

You can speed up some file operations with assembler routines.

You need to set an additional flag every time the condition is true and clear it when it is false. The flag will prevent multiple symbols being printed while the condition is true (which is what's happening currently). You'll need a separate counter which counts max items/36 before displaying another symbol.

This kind of control is usually called a progress bar.

• Like 2

I have stopped trying to get a progress bar using the time peeks and decided on something like this..

? "  Press START"

POS. 15,18:? COUNT

And the file count variable goes to the line # for counting.  This shows visually on screen plus I can guess how long till my programs starts.  And don't have to worry about it having crashed.