Hi guys!

I and my friend decided to bring something new to you. The joystick. But we need some feedback before it.

Description:

We decided to find out a way how to make new Atari Joysticks and similar joysticks with 3D printer. We try to have as similar as possible construction for the same impression of playing games like the original old joysticks. But we have one thing in our construction different. Our Stick will be exchangeable and modulable. We will have more types of sticks and you can choose what type you want. Sticks will have different shape, size etc.

Our questions are:

• 1) Is this idea interesting for you?
  • 2) Are you looking for some new joystick because your old was damaged?
  • 3) What types of sticks do you prefer? What joysticks do you like? What was your favourite joystick in 80/90's? ( CX40, QuickShot etc. )
  • 4) Would you like exchangeable stick at your joystick ( when you will get tired of the old type of stick you can simply change it for another one ) or you'd rather buy another new joystick when you want to exchange the stick?
  • 5) Is the autofire function important for you?
  • 6) How long stick movement do you prefer? ( short movement is like pressing a small button, long movement is like pressing a key on your keyboard )
  • 7) Do you like an idea that you can buy only the 3D data for your 3D printer and make it for your own?
  • 8) Do you have some tips why this idea doesn't make sense? For example you can buy really new QuickShot on Ebay etc.

Progress:

Spoiler

We started when summer holidays of 2019 begins. You can see the first version on this picture which was done about month and half ago.

render1_old.thumb.png.fde54fc5adbb6afbdc4dde25a1b9898b.png

On the another pictures you can see actual and maybe final version of joystick's base. We have made exchangeable sticks too but we will publish them as present for you after some more feedbacks.

render3_new.thumb.png.ee1e5ea98bb50eac2d4286d4d999d970.pngrender2_new.thumb.png.35e2a055e102d41b81f7812afdbb3274.png

Thank you for your time, sharing and answers!

Best regards,

EnJoyStick Team

render1_old.png

render2_new.png

Let me be the first with personal opinions

1. Very interesting to have a reliable supply of joysticks for 8-bits computers.

2. Yes, damaged joysticks are not easy to repair

3. Both CX40 like and let us say QuickShot II Turbo. In theory both are good models, but lack resilience. Especially CX-40 is fragile.

4. No, I would prefer fixed stick

5. It would be welcome, but not necessary. I would buy a decent joystick even without autofire

6. Short movement preferred.

7. No, I prefer finished product. I would be willing to pay for that, of course

8. No. There can be old-new stock, but its quality and reliability is always questionable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1) Is this idea interesting for you?

Yes, especially if the joystick could be configured to support multiple systems. Being able to support obscure systems would be a huge advantage.

2) Are you looking for some new joystick because your old was damaged?

Either damaged or just not included with the purchase.

3) What types of sticks do you prefer? What joysticks do you like? What was your favourite joystick in 80/90's? ( CX40, QuickShot etc. )

I prefer the NES/SNES style controllers. They just seem so much more comfortable than a joystick.

The Hyperkin Scout is a decent joystick.

I never did play with a good quality joystick in the 80's. The Gravis Gamepad was a nice controller in the 90's.

4) Would you like exchangeable stick at your joystick ( when you will get tired of the old type of stick you can simply change it for another one ) or you'd rather buy another new joystick when you want to exchange the stick?

Swappable joysticks never seem to work out. The swappable parts are usually the weak point.

5) Is the autofire function important for you?

No.

6) How long stick movement do you prefer? ( short movement is like pressing a small button, long movement is like pressing a key on your keyboard )

Short movement.

7) Do you like an idea that you can buy only the 3D data for your 3D printer and make it for your own?

No.

8) Do you have some tips why this idea doesn't make sense?

Poor quality or outrageous will not go over well.

There may be a bigger market for adapter cables rather than joysticks.

Finding quality joysticks for older systems is a huge challenge. Buying original joystick is often very expensive.

Edited by cdoty