IGNORED

Atarimax 32-in-1 corrupt graphics and crashing

tjlazer

Been having some issues lately with my set up. Tried creating a new ROM and burning to a new 29F040 B chip and I’m getting intermittent issues with corrupt graphics on games and crashing. At first I thought it was my new ROM and maybe the ROM code, but it’s happening with the original EEPROM too. Tried programming the new code to my old chip and it’s still doing the same thing now. Tried making sure that everything is sealed correctly and also replace the RAM chips which didn’t help. (has Rambo 256k upgrade). Anything else I can try?

Is the system stable if you replace the original OS ROM chip?

How about if you program 1 OS (maybe a Stock Atari OS) to a 27128 EPROM and try that by itself?

It is interesting that you say the original 29F040B is causing you grief now. Can you tell me what the speed ratings of both chips are? ie: 29F040B-150, 120, 70 (nanoseconds). My original chip was 120ns, and I'm currenting using a chip rated at 150ns. 70ns "may" be too fast.

Lastly, can you confirm the "Chip ID" bytes for each of your chips, as reported by your programmer software. If you're using a MiniPro TL866, it shows here after a read or clicking the "ID" button:

chipid.png.d2c6ab72be5a5b5cf12ece76a17f4368.png

Counterfeit chips may add confusion, as the indicators on the chip may not match what the chip identifies itself as internally...

39 minutes ago, tjlazer said:

I then changed the ROM to the stock rev C and it’s fine now... but it will return later or on a cold boot.

Can you clarify if "stock rev C" is via an actual original Atari OS ROM chip, or are you just changing the OS selection in your 32-in-1?

Maybe a bad flash chip?  When mine was installed I experienced the Phi2 problem which caused graphical glitches but when they occur it's usually fairly consistent around the text screen and wasn't causing crashes.

Or maybe not mounted quite right in the OS socket, and heat expansion causing the problem to occur some time after startup.

Can you clarify if "stock rev C" is via an actual original Atari OS ROM chip, or are you just changing the OS selection in your 32-in-1?

On the 32-in-1. I don’t have the original ROM on this one, I can try to install the rev 10 from my other machine if it’ll fit without uninstalling the 32-in-1. Can I just remove this from the socket and put the old Ron’s in? Aren’t they 2 chips?

If you're using a 32-in-1 in a 1200XL your machine would have had the modifications done to allow use of a single 16KB 28-pin OS ROM in 1 socket, instead of 2 8KB OS ROM's as would be the case for a stock machine.

Test with an OS ROM chip from any other model XL or XE, or program a stock XL/XE OS to a 27c128 EPROM, which is a drop-in replacement.

Edit: or do you mean you already have a stock 1200XL OS on an EPROM?

Ok some more troubleshooting to see if there is a pattern. There seems to be. On a cold boot I get really bad corrupt graphics on Temple of Apshai Trilogy. On a reboot, less corrupt graphics, then on the 3rd reboot it’s fine! Seems to do this every time. Weird. What I was doing before was changing Roms (in the 32-in-1 menu), or changing flash chips. And it would then work. So it seems the system needs to warm up to work correctly.

If you're using a 32-in-1 in a 1200XL your machine would have had the modifications done to allow use of a single 16KB 28-pin OS ROM in 1 socket, instead of 2 8KB OS ROM's as would be the case for a stock machine.

Test with an OS ROM chip from any other model XL or XE, or program a stock XL/XE OS to a 27c128 EPROM, which is a drop-in replacement.

Edit: or do you mean you already have a stock 1200XL OS on an EPROM?

Ok that’s good news as I can program a 27c128 or 256. And yes I also have the old 2 chip Rev 10 1200XL OS from upgrading my other 1200XL to rev 11.

1 minute ago, tjlazer said:

Ok that’s good news as I can program a 27c128 or 256. And yes I also have the old 2 chip Rev 10 1200XL OS from upgrading my other 1200XL to rev 11.

If you program a 256, repeat/append the same 16KB twice (for 32KB programmed)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

@tjlazer did you ever get a chance to see the chip ID of your existing 29F040B's as they are reported from your programmer?

Yeah here it is.

29F040B Chip ID.jpg

I found two non B variants on eBay and ordered them!  I'll let you know if I have any luck with them.

Edited by tjlazer

3 hours ago, tjlazer said:

Yeah here it is.

29F040B Chip ID.jpg

I found two non B variants on eBay and ordered them!  I'll let you know if I have any luck with them.

Alright, "01A4" matches an AMD Am29F040-90JC & AMD Am29F040B-150JC I have - both identify with the same ID and work fine in the 32-in-1. So, if yours is a fake, its not blatant at least... One AMD AM29F040B-120JC I bought from eBay/China identified itself with Chip ID "20E3" - with some searching I found was really an ST M29W040B, which was rated for 3.3V, not 5.0V! So the top labelling would have been re-printed... yeesh