IGNORED

My POKEY experiments using nonstandard settings

Hello MrFish

But it might also send out an email to an address that is no longer used by Bernard.  No sure if his relatives get to see those.  I personally wouldn't like it if a deceased relative still receives mails.  And if the mail address is cancelled, Albert might get a notice saying so.

Sincerely

Mathy

11 minutes ago, Mathy said:

No sure if his relatives get to see those.  I personally wouldn't like it if a deceased relative still receives mails.

I think you're being a little too sensitive. I have no reason to do it often; an email or two once every 10 years shouldn't cause any distress.

Like I said, my primary reason for tagging him isn't the notification function; that just happens to be a side effect in this case. I used it for the reasons stated above; and this is something I commonly do for users here. So, it has purposes beyond notifications, and I like to utilize those.

dec'd should have mail off after a period of time like on most other forums. I see both points but these things should be non issues if the forum here handled it like most others, everything would still be there, the mail would stop after a period of time and a stamp letting you know they passed on would be on the account

still able to be tagged and referred to.

• 3 weeks later...

I am working on an RMT project that attempts to create a distortion guitar sound.  I say "attempts" because I'm not particularly good at editing instruments in RMT, and the results are mixed.  I will post the project when done, it was a significant effort as I transcribed nearly every instrument as close to the original song as I could.

That being said, I've hit kind of a block.  The song has a guitar solo that would include bending strings.  I'm using a guitar sound that uses channels 1+3, which affects the output considerably, at least in RMT 1.34.  When I try to use the note tables, it sounds all corrupted, not so great.

I'm looking for something like what @VinsCool got in Flourishing Falls.  Although that's more of a "flute" type sound, it's about what I need.

Any help is appreciated!

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 4:06 PM, rdefabri said:

I am working on an RMT project that attempts to create a distortion guitar sound.  I say "attempts" because I'm not particularly good at editing instruments in RMT, and the results are mixed.  I will post the project when done, it was a significant effort as I transcribed nearly every instrument as close to the original song as I could.

That being said, I've hit kind of a block.  The song has a guitar solo that would include bending strings.  I'm using a guitar sound that uses channels 1+3, which affects the output considerably, at least in RMT 1.34.  When I try to use the note tables, it sounds all corrupted, not so great.

I'm looking for something like what @VinsCool got in Flourishing Falls.  Although that's more of a "flute" type sound, it's about what I need.

Any help is appreciated!

A couple of caveats here:

The RMT emulation in sa_pokey.dll is dodgy and not to be trusted.  I think @VinsCool was working on a project to enable these custom modes into RMT.

Also, the distorted guitar sounds I used in odyssey do not lend themselves naturally to pitch bending, because the modulation frequency on each note is not exactly linear.

Posted (edited)

Back at it again ... found a new setting that was documented by the late @analmux:

AUDCTL=$60 (1.79 on 1 and 3)

Play $AF on first and third channel

The idea is, by setting maximum volume ($AF) on first and third channels, the clipping makes a resonant frequency of a NES type triangle wave.  The note table used is identical to the "croissant" wave AUDCTL=$64 setting and the same caution applies:  Lower frequencies (beginning at $40) will introduce a high pitched whine as the source frequencies come down into the audible range. 

I will try a test tune.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Here's a test.

AUDCTL=$60

00 and 02:  $AF (1.79 mhz)

01 and 03:  $A3 (standard square wave)

The ultrasonic frequencies at max volume make the triangle wave.  There are several problems with this technique:

The resultant triangle wave is quiet, so the volume of other tracks must be lowered.

Frequencies below $40 introduce a high pitched artifact

Frequencies above  c6 are out of tune, meaning you have a 1 1/2 octave range that can be effectively used.

Binaries attached plus a note table.  The note table varies the two frequencies in 0 and 2 off by one step.  The table used for the "croissant" wave (AUDCTL=$64) is better in tune but not an option here as it dips into frequencies below $40 to make the notes in tune, and introduces the high pitched whine.

dk-title.asm dk-title.s dk-title.xex AUDCTL=$64 AUDC1=$AX AUDC3=$00 optimal.txt

• Like 1

Other possibilities in this setting:

Using double POKEY,  setting up a 1.79 mhz channel on the first channel each POKEY, then having the third channel each POKEY add a harmonic,  or turn on the filter for each channel.  It would require downmixing to mono from stereo but might produce interesting results

• 2 weeks later...

So, in addition to my game projects, I am taking little bites out of documenting the SKCTL=$8B AUDCTL=$41 Distortion $4x settings at 15 khz.  The major table is of course the ones where AUDF1 is not a mod 5 or 15.  This has enough guitar sounds to where dozens of timbres (and note tables) are possible, and the octave range for such will reach into the 5th octave without tuning errors.

Once I have this table, I'll write a utility in TurboBASIC that will let you build your own note tables from the listed frequencies.  This should be fun.  Once built, thanks to @VinsCool, they can be hacked into RMT, hopefully.

Other tables are:

AUDF1 is mod 5.  This is the "Fuzzy C" setting, where C distortion frequencies are played in channel 2, and the mod 15 frequency in 1 introduces a fuzzbox

AUDF2 is mod 5.  Distorted guitars which will hit intermittently depending on polycounters

AUDF1 is mod 15.  Alien crunch sound fx

After that, the same must be done to the equivalent setting in AUDCTL=$40 (i.e. standard 64khz clock).   I think once I have both these in the bag, I will write out an extensive doc which documents the various tables in these settings and how to use them.

• Like 1