IGNORED

Creating video clips for RaspberryPi jukebox

karri

For the upcoming PRGE and eJagfest events it would be nice to have about 30 second demo clips of games produced for the 30-year celebration of the Atari Lynx.

The normal mp4 clips don't play so well on small computers like Raspberry Pi. Especially when you want to run full screen OpenGL stuff at the same time. So I coded a new skin to my favourite jukebox software and Mike accepted it yesterday :) 

After a little research I found out that this command converts a video nicely for playing clips on a Raspberry Pi 3A which I am using.

ffmpeg -i onduty30.mp4 -b:v 2M -vf scale=320x240 onduty.ogv

screenshot.thumb.jpg.4162948c43e87b45e112be9099d340fb.jpg

If the clip contains video material the animated rotating platter assembly is replaced with a video clip like below.

screenshot.thumb.jpg.d17d92a8add781eb765fcf11e26805f9.jpg

This version is now also in github since yesterday in case you happen to own a Raspberry Pi.

Just pick it up

git clone https://github.com/chundermike/rpi-fruitbox.git
cd rpi-fruitbox
chmod +x ./install.sh
source ./install.sh
chmod +x fruitbox
sudo ./fruitbox --cfg skins/WurlyVideo/fruitbox.cfg

This is the application I will be running at PRGE.

121879527_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1413-29-14.thumb.png.078a7ff7fced05a15b9379989c38fc66.png

Enjoy!

Edit:

All the mp3's and ogv's should be in ~/Music directory.

At startup the code creates a file ~/fruitbox.db

If you want to add videos or music delete the fruitbox.db file and let the code build a new one.

You can also edit the fruitbox.db to fix the fields from "Unknown artist" to "Atari Lynx"

The new Pi4 is not yet supported! There is a conflict in one of the X11 libraries in Buster :(

Use stretch!

Example clips in 30 seconds:

http://79.125.115.174/pics/onduty.ogv

and

http://79.125.115.174/pics/findaway.ogv

You should be able to use any Pi. I tried this on PiZero and it was sluggish so I moved to a faster Pi.

• Like 2

Really cool! You even mixed different scenes and edited the videos!

Would it be possible to get these clips for all the games for PRGE and eJagfest?

Outside these events I just may have a possibility to spend some time with some Atari Lynx celebrities here in EU and it would be so nice to show them where the Lynx scene has gone in the last 30 years. I mean SD cart, Aga cart, McWill, BennVenn, the competition entries, full colour graphics, bad apple, sage's music experiments, HandyMusic, cc65, BLL just to name a few.

I also finalized my Jukebox yesterday. If you click on a run-button while watching a Lynx video clip it will exit and move to run the particular Lynx game in Mednafen using Sony joypads.

I bough a Sony Playstation Classic with two USB controllers for €29. Not bad. Sony also forgot to remove the private key from their Sony PS Classic firmware so you don't need to crack the console. It runs RetroArch directly from a memory stick (signed by Sony of course ;) ) This is a good buy if you can get them under €30 as you can here in Finland.

But for the PRGE I decided to run the code on the Pi3 and use just the joypads from PS Classic. Perhaps re-labeled to Atari LYNX.

I didn't make the video, I've got a few more too. I'll ask "The New Retro Show" if I can get the source files too.

Very nice job with the Jukebox! I've put in quotes for getting an "Atari Gamer" logo display laser cut. Have a monitor already, just need to glue it all together, load some videos on and send it to Portland.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I know this is an old post but I am desperate.🥵

I am trying to get the load and unload ogv files to play a sound file as well.😕

I have a sound file and have tried to join them in After effects with success but when I convert the avi to ogv, It wont play.

I am using the sintax supplied eg.

ffmpeg -i load_song.mp4 -b:v 2M -vf scale=320x240 load_song.ogv

I then replace the original load_song from the WurlyVideo directory with this new one but no joy.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Greg