IGNORED

Restoration of a companion

Mehridian Sanders

I am still new to knowledge of the TI-99/4a, I was a serious Wownerd up until about 41, then I picked up a Raspberry PI. It went down deep into the rabbit hole from there. I barely play anymore, I have been working on projects and learning linux, made the Pi-Hole for my kids, etc. I remember wanting one of these at 7, even though it was already a cancelled project at that time. I started off on the Kaypro 16, then the Commodore 64, then the Atari 2600, and so on .. Around 16 I picked up a 386DX computer for the cheap and remember having that Turbo Button. I started building computers and eventually went to college for it. 

Anyway, is the mechanical keyboard TI a bit more rare? I have been over to deskthority and they have been helpful with another keyboard project I had. so many projects.

• Like 1

no.. basically there are 5-6 keyboard types for the TI.. 4-5 of those are mechanical.. the last is the mitsumi membrane keyboard..  if the computer was built before 1983 likely it has a mechanical keyboard..  

the best keyboards for the 4/a in my opinion were the surplus beige ones they sold at radio shack.. super nice mechanical ones.. 

19 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

no.. basically there are 5-6 keyboard types for the TI.. 4-5 of those are mechanical.. the last is the mitsumi membrane keyboard..  if the computer was built before 1983 likely it has a mechanical keyboard..  

the best keyboards for the 4/a in my opinion were the surplus beige ones they sold at radio shack.. super nice mechanical ones.. 

I have been noticing that mechanical keyboards are superior to me. Others may have their own opinions but the mechanical are just .. wonderful. 

Thank you for the info and love your site, have been there a lot over the last week.

• Like 1

differences.thumb.PNG.8808c48a3009114e014c1c6a3c3272c2.PNG

One oddity I am finding is the wild variances on the Power Boards and their pinouts. Even the resistor tolerances are different. These are the exact same board but the jumper changes in the W section at the bottom are ... strange to me. Almost seems like each board could be different.

I haven't even gone over resistor codes yet. Just the tolerance changes and different jumpers.

Edited by Mehridian Sanders