IGNORED

Getting rid of massive amounts of battery leakage

bluejay

I just got a Panasonic RQ-337 walkman from Goodwill for a whopping $19.99 and I've asked this question on stereo2go but I'm not getting replies so that's that. Anyways, it has a major battery leakage(the second worst I've ever seen) and one of the battery prongs is COMPLETELY covered in hardened blue battery fluid. I've tried 91% Alcohol and trying to chip it off with a screwdriver. How can I get rid of this?

Do you know what type of battery leaked and whether it is acid or alkaline?

I have never tried it but if an internet search for something like "remove battery leak corrosion" has not already suggested them then then try these...

1) Use and ACID:

If the battery that leaked was a standard non-rechargable alkaline battery then with an acid being the opposite of an alkaline would seem logical that the deposit can be dissolved (or weakened to where it can be chipped off) by using an acid. I would not try anything too strong because if you get it on the wrong place as it may into parts you don't want it to, it may require several applications but perhaps try something like lemon juice or vinegar.

2) Use an Emery Board, cut the width down to that sufficient to access the battery terminal and slowly sand the deposit away or possibly as mall grinding wheel in a Dremmil.

If all else fails and you are not concerned with keep it 100% original then do an internet search for "Battery holder". They are quite cheap so it may be worth getting one and trying to remove the battery terminals so that you can use them to replace the corroded ones.     

Edited by Stephen Moss

I've had good luck using white vinegar to remove crusty battery leakage from alkalines. I believe that is what is also recommended for nicad and nimh.

A quick google of that confirms Duracell recommendations the same. Although they say to dilute it. I never did, just used it full strength. 

https://www.duracell.com/en-us/help/faq/how-do-i-clean-up-after-a-battery-leak

• Like 1

After getting the blue funk off, it might be useful to follow up with a chemical metal polish. If the contact is copper, something like brasso. For aluminum, hit the automotive store for something like 200mph all metal polish.

that will get rid of the tarnish layers that the old residue will have left on the metal.