IGNORED

Record your 5200 game play for videos

Omega-TI

I've been looking at cheap off-the-air TV converter boxes that record for some older gentlemen, but it suddenly dawned on me, I could plug my Atari 5200 into one of these and record my gameplay and use it to make videos.  Sure, the RF output on the 5200 is not great, but it's a cheap way to get the job done.  << THIS GADGET >> looks to be the best for the task.  Have any of you done this yet?

1182991821_RecordYourPlay.thumb.png.aa03522727e16389c3c77dc95c74f9d7.png

I don't normally recommend extended warranties, but I've read that numerous versions of these devices are prone to failure.  So, for three extra bucks you can get a three year warranty.  

Warranty.thumb.JPG.585612aac1930c439fb544530db45258.JPG

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

I've been looking at cheap off-the-air TV converter boxes that record for some older gentlemen, but it suddenly dawned on me, I could plug my Atari 5200 into one of these and record my gameplay and use it to make videos.  Sure, the RF output on the 5200 is not great, but it's a cheap way to get the job done.  << THIS GADGET >> looks to be the best for the task.  Have any of you done this yet?

1182991821_RecordYourPlay.thumb.png.aa03522727e16389c3c77dc95c74f9d7.png

I don't normally recommend extended warranties, but I've read that numerous versions of these devices are prone to failure.  So, for three extra bucks you can get a three year warranty.  

Warranty.thumb.JPG.585612aac1930c439fb544530db45258.JPG

I recently purchased an Ambery RFDM2 and I'm not too happy with it. If the console has a good RF OUTPUT it looks great. If it doesn't it looks terrible. For example the Colecovision and intellivision look clean. Any Atari 2600 model I've tried looks absolutely terrible.

Moreover it costs more than twice the device you linked to. I'm interested to see how that device works. 

• Sad 1

On 10/3/2019 at 8:20 AM, Charlie_ said:

I'm interested to see how that device works. 

** UPDATE **

Well, it converts and records DIGITAL channels off the air (not analog).  So the model listed above is a big fat NO GO if planning to record the channel 3 RF output from an Atari 5200 or other analog channel 3/4 RF device.  

On 10/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, --- Ω --- said:

** UPDATE **

Well, it converts and records DIGITAL channels off the air (not analog).  So the model listed above is a big fat NO GO if planning to record the channel 3 RF output from an Atari 5200 or other analog channel 3/4 RF device.  

That's what I thought when I read the description for the device.

To get composite output an old VCR might be the best.

All three of my 5200 systems have horrible RF output. They are all better on channel 2 than channel 3.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 11:10 AM, Charlie_ said:

To get composite output an old VCR might be the best.

All three of my 5200 systems have horrible RF output. They are all better on channel 2 than channel 3.

Yeah, well I sorta wanted to directly record to a microUSB card.  I'll probably end up passing this off to one of the older gentlemen I help out as I really have no need for a device that simply records OTA TV. 

If you have an old Series 2 TiVo with Home Media Option, you should be able to record your 5200 video that way, then transfer the video over to a PC. There were ways of scrubbing the proprietary hooks out of the video files so they could play as standard MPEG-2 content. Granted, I haven't messed with any of that since about 2006.