IGNORED

What time is it?

liveinabin

The looming deadline on the Gunfight label competition presented a new confusion on your site. Living in the UK, I have no idea what time it is in whatever bit of america you guys are in. Would it be possible to have some spot on the main messageboard that tells us what the time is where you are?

The time and date next to your name in your post lists the time that Atariage operates on (Central Time). I am located in Eastern Standard Time, 1 hour ahead. You, located in the UK are in Greenwhich Meantime (or you should be). Therefore, Atariage is 6 hours behind you (and likewise I am 5).

As per the deadline. The contest deadline is midnight Nov 28, 12am. For you that would be 4am Greenwhich Meantime, basically you get an extra four hours (kind of).

Does this help or just make it more confusing???

Timeless Stan

This is one area that Ultimate Bulletin Board (the software you're using right now to read messages here on AtariAge) is relatively weak. It would be great if they added a Time Zone setting for individual users, and then calculated the displayed time for each message based on your own time zone. Not difficult to do programmatically and I bet there are even hacks to UBB to add this functionality.

However, the reason it might be setup the way likely has something to do with how UBB generates the HTML for each topic. I believe when someone views a topic, UBB caches the page it generates so the next time someone calls it up the page doesn't have to be regenerated (unless, of course, new messages have been posted). This saves CPU time on the server and causes cached pages to come up more quickly. If timestamps for each post had to be changed on the fly, then this caching scheme wouldn't work. This is my theory as to why UBB doesn't support users' time zones.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

THANKS A LOT LEMMI! Now everyone knows what time I get my daily hot water enema. Sheesh, is nothing sacred.

Ummmm Eeeewwwwwwwwww yucky

Quote by

ubersaurus Howdy Doody Time, duh.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Albert -

It would be great if they added a Time Zone setting for individual users, and then calculated the displayed time for each message based on your own time zone.  

I read in a UK internet magazine that in order to combat this problem the internet powers that be had devised 'Internet Time'.

Basically they had divided 24 hours into 100 equal units, each one being called or referred to as a blip or click or something.

Then when you were say, having a live internet chat you would advertise "Chat starts at Blip 25 on 25th Dec 2001" and everybody the world over would know when it started instantly because blip 25 occurs simoultaniously whether your in UK, US, Katmandu or Outer Mongolia.

I seem to recall seeing something about it on Discovery Magazine as well, they reported that a couple of major watch manufacturers like Casio and Seiko are releasing wristwatches that display both local and internet time.

Whether it will take off or not I dont know - I suppose we'll just have to "watch" this space

Adam

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Fretwobbler ]

Quote liveinabin -

quote:

I got internet time on my Swatch 'beat'

Your sooooo on the scene liveinabin It must be livin' in UK's Cosmopolitan Capital

Beat was the word I was looking for, blip or click????? what was I thinking, dumbass

Off topic -

BTW is there still a resteraunt called Casa in Brighton? Thats a great place for afternoon eating and boozing

Adam