IGNORED

Do you plan on getting both systems next year

Jim Pez

On 10/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, Flojomojo said:

I'm on the side of "sheer hatred" for the Atari VCS and I'll tell you why: they've been super dishonest about their capabilities, the ecosystem they'll bring, their reasons for using crowdfunding, and their development process. Both of their main project leaders have shown themselves to be untrustworthy, and both left the project angry (one was fired, one left after not getting paid -- at least that's the public story). Their communication has been insultingly inept, and the only real asset they have is their nearly 50-year-old company name, which has a reputation they did not earn in the slightest. Comparing them to OUYA isn't fair to OUYA, which launched on time, under budget, with a massive store full of software, and some modest retail success. "Atari" is coming at this with less talent, a worse idea, and fewer resources, so it's frustrating to see the fans of the "Atari" name say things like, "it hasn't been proven to be a scam yet!"

Your point about just judging them when/if they actually deliver is fine for projects that don't show probable cause for being scams. Playdate, Analogue Pocket, Intellivision Amico, and even the new Coleco mini-arcades are legit projects. From all the evidence shown so far, "Atari VCS" is not. 

I'll wait to judge the console, & judge the project today: it's a mess, & I doubt anyone'll get a console on time, or at all. 

On 10/21/2019 at 11:23 AM, zzip said:

I mean, I don't really care about the drama.   There's a reason they say "you don't want to know how the sausage is made".   This kind of  stuff used to happen behind closed doors, but was often just as messy.   Just look at the history of Atari.   Jack T showed up at CES with a prototype ST that barely functioned was held together by duct-tape, while it gave impressive demonstrations,  the media and industry insiders publically doubted the thing would ever make it to production, because of Atari's poor financial standing at the time, and JT's awful reputation from Commodore.   Before that Nolan Bushnell talked about how he struggled to pay his employees and that's one reason he sold to Warner.

Only thing that matters is if they deliver a working product.  I mean, I know the Atari name has bounced around, and the company currently called Atari is plagued by quality and money problems.   Even if they can't make the ecosystem work, but deliver a Linux PC-based console as promised, that would be much more useful for many retro-projects than a Raspberry Pi because it would be significantly more powerful.   That's really the only thing that interests me in the project.   Certainly more useful to me than aB&W  handheld system, even if it has a crank

I wish I could like this twice, thrice even.

I will have to see exactly what the Amico is, as of now it isn't on my radar. Will it have great games? We will see. 

I bought a PS4 slim 1 year ago and have very much enjoyed it. Mostly playing Dirt 4, Spider-man and then HZD which collectively took winter spring and summer!  So, likely I don't be interested in PS5 for a few years.  The upcoming  Star Wars and Shenmue 3 will keep me busy. 

I think we will buy a Switch finally before 2019 is done. Have never played it. 

47 minutes ago, pacman000 said:

I wish I could like this twice, thrice even.

Why?  Those other projects he refers to weren't crowdfunded.  That's the difference.  

I see only a Fuji symbol's difference between AtariVCS and RetroVGS/Chameleon.  If you are OK with Atari's shenanigans, then Kennedy's was fine and wrongly accused.

I should note we saw some of the same arguments with RVGS/Chameleon.  "Xbox had nonfunctional demos at conventions too", or something like that.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

Why?  Those other projects he mentions weren't crowdfunded.  That's the difference.  

I see only a Fuji symbol's difference between AtariVCS and RetroVGS/Chameleon.  If you are OK with Atari's shenanigans, then Kennedy's was fine and wrongly accused.

I should note we saw some of the same arguments with RVGS/Chameleon.  "Xbox had nonfunctional demos at conventions too", or something like that.   

Weirdly I agree with you too. :) I'm more concerned about folks insulting each other for liking/disliking the Atari box, or for thinking it will/won't work out. I think the system's a dumb idea, & I doubt it'll be successful, but others don't have to.

• Like 2

It is very likely due to new technology and nm architecture that both consoles will cost $500 or over. This will make it much harder for people to consider getting both meaning that E3 and the conferences after it are going to determine who goes here.

Even now, the 6+ year old PS4 and Xbox One are having issues dropping in price. The Original Xbox and PS2 generation is likely the last time we'll see $99 and sub $99 consoles. Even the mid-gen refreshes have barely moved in price despite being made of similar parts with slightly more powerful processors.

• Like 1

I think by late next year I'll pick up a Switch. Seems to be a system that, as a retro gamer, I might be the target audience for based on what I've both seen and read from others here as well as a good friend who has one and loves it.

I enjoy the big flashy current gen AAA titles by Sony and Microsoft but they rarely hold my attention very long and I end up gravitating back to Atari or the NES so there's no need for me to spend several hundred dollars on one of them. Besides I have friends who will end up getting the next Xbox so I'll experience it with them.

As for the Amico I'm intrigued but as others have said I'll wait and see once it's released.

Frankly I'd rather spend my gaming dollars on homebrew Atari games or other niche items like the TG16 mini when it comes out. 

• Like 3

On 10/26/2019 at 6:16 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

Why?  Those other projects he refers to weren't crowdfunded.  That's the difference.  

Angel investors know that 95% of the ventures they fund will fail.  But the other 5% will be profitable enough to make up for it.     Crowdfunding is basically angel investing spread out over the general population, and most of the crowdfunded projects will fail.  Everybody should understand this going in, or you shouldn't be investing in them.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, zzip said:

Angel investors know that 95% of the ventures they fund will fail.  But the other 5% will be profitable enough to make up for it.     Crowdfunding is basically angel investing spread out over the general population, and most of the crowdfunded projects will fail.  Everybody should understand this going in, or you shouldn't be investing in them.

I agree with this in its spirit, but Atari wasn't looking for angel investors of any sort: 

82175178_Atariaresuchliars.thumb.png.5f9b3f8cd0403bfcf1d6707589be4db1.png

Their verbiage was always about "pre-orders", even the product description:

image.thumb.png.e93876ebfaca575b0009a71f628b147e.pngimage.thumb.png.7fa287f800261b18b3172877843a6601.png

Once the campaign was over and they got their three million smackaroos, the thread changed to mostly monitoring and mocking "Nutari".  It's like watching a taco truck go up in flames.  You don't want it to, and think of all those poor tacos, but still can't help but watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Leeroy ST said:

It is very likely due to new technology and nm architecture that both consoles will cost $500 or over. This will make it much harder for people to consider getting both meaning that E3 and the conferences after it are going to determine who goes here.

Even now, the 6+ year old PS4 and Xbox One are having issues dropping in price. The Original Xbox and PS2 generation is likely the last time we'll see $99 and sub $99 consoles. Even the mid-gen refreshes have barely moved in price despite being made of similar parts with slightly more powerful processors.

I think we'll see "games as a service" instead. There's going to be an Xbox you can buy via installments, and it will include the high end Game Pass. $25/month for the high end model, and like $15/month for the digital only model. The pricing seems smart, and it would have the effect of locking people into the Microsoft ecosystem. Also compatible games would have cross-save between console and PC. 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/10/28/xbox-all-access/

They're competing against $200 PS4 and Xbone, of course. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

No consoles for me for the first time in my life, at least not on release. I do all my gaming on PC, I may get an Xbox later cause it's tied into Win10 etc. and I like playing movies and media on it. 

PS5 is a big maybe years LATER. It's the only console exclusive games I can't play on PC with. (Last of Us, God of War etc) but there's absolutely no rush at all for me to ever want it.

I'm finally getting a switch next year for Animal Crossing.

• Like 2

I don't need even more games. I've barely played anything from this generation, let alone the next. I'll pick stuff up on PC if they really interest me and make it that way but apart from that I'm done.

Edited by Cepp
  • Like 1

Not sure yet.  I have a Xbox one X and a PS4... I am running the Xbox one X in 4K and HDR and it looks amazing (on selected titles of course).  Still planning to get a Switch but, just never got one.. I do most of my modern gaming on my Xbox one or PC..

As for the Next Xbox, SSD would be nice but, I think I would be more interested in a 5tb storage option.  With 4K games, the 1tb option fills up very quick.  Deleting and moving games is just getting old... I already have a 1tb Xbox one X and a 5tb drive that is 85% full.

It's going to come down to exclusives that will take me to buy a PS5, as it looks like "The Last Of Us 2" will be a PS4 title, and it's one I am waiting for...like losing sleep waiting for...

The problem for me is my back log...so many games I got but, never finsihed, then a NEW game comes out and I must play it.... So the NEW Modern Warfare, Gear 5 and Forza Horizon 4... those are my CURRENT playing games... never mind my mountain of backlogs..

• Sad 1

I would like to upgrade to Xbox Scarlet and even a Ryzen PC to match it, but since I only have 1080p displays I can wait.

TBH I would also like to get at least a PS4 for playing exclusives like FF7 Remake...maybe they'll drop in price when the PS5 comes out.

I'll likely get both.  I want a single title that will sell me on the system and I don't know if there will be one for launch.  I'm liking the idea of a back compat Xbox Next so I can carry my Fallout and Wasteland titles forward to it.

As for the PS5, I'm sure there will be something exclusive that my son will want.  lol  I can see this being on a Santa list.  lol

Amico, hmm give me an updated Cloudy Mountain... or even let me play the original Cloudy Mountain on it at launch and I'll buy it.  Having fresh hardware and that game is an instant purchase!  

• Like 1

If I get a new system, it would be the Amico, as it's certainly going to be the original console of the bunch. Unless Nintendo release a new system, which would be surprising so early after the very successful Switch release (but seeing more Switch variants? Certainly gonna happen, heh).

I'm not sure to get it, mind you, but, it's the one that seems to be willign to offer something different.

The PS4 and Xbone are two glorified fancy computers, and I have a computer.

The PS5 and Microsoft next system certainly won't do anything different, so why wasting 400 to 600€ on a console when that much money will buy me a computer upgrade that will last as long as the consoles ?

Bring something different on the table (and heck, being able to stream your game with a button is NOT something different) and I'll consider a console. Else, well, you won't see my money.

• Like 2

Well they are cool systems but they, as far as I can see, are just playing retro games. They are nice, but not quite what I would call "different". The Switch is different. The Amico is different (even if it's really just "better VMU" as controllers, it's not something usual). A crank... It's original, but I don't see it becoming a major feature.

Take motion sensors. Franckly, shooting with the bow in Zelda BOTW feels SO NATURAL using your pad for fine aiming that going back to joystick aiming feel awkward and clumsy. It's a tiny but game-changing experience.

I don't see neither the Playdate not the Analogue pocket offering the same level of "game changing" experience.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

This is a tough one for me. Do I NEED another console? Nope. Do I WANT them all? Yup! But here's the thing: Not having free time as an adult with a long commute to work and other obligations has really cut down on my gaming time.

This console generation, I bought a Xbox One two years into its existence and picked up a Switch in late 2017 after Xmas. I also recently picked up a gaming laptop. I still don't have a PS4, although I do want one. Out of those consoles, I have far more playing time with the Switch than the others, although I've been gaming on the laptop a lot lately (mainly playing Wreckfest, which is awesome BTW). Most of the games on the Switch I've been playing are smaller, old-school style indie titles that can be played in bite-sized amounts anywhere, making it perfect for someone who doesn't have a lot of time. I can count on one hand the amount of times in the past year I played stuff on the XB1. Plus, with the PC and Switch, I can game in the same room as the wife as she watches whatever she watches on TV.

The Amico is cool, but the Switch will likely scratch that itch, and it's portable to boot. The Atari Vaporware Computer System is never coming out, and the other two heavy hitters from Sony and Microsoft aren't grabbing my attention just yet. If anything, I'll finally get a PS4 and not have time to play that either. ?

• Like 2