IGNORED

Analogue Pocket

I really wish I wasn't conflicted on this thing as it looks excellent.  Perhaps I'd be more motivated once I see how the other modules work/price out, and what the value attached to the dock will be as well.  It's really nice for what it is and from who made it too, I have the SuperNT so I know they don't cut corners or shovel garbage either say like hyperkin and retrobit 90% of the time.  I'll leave it as I'm fascinated.  I have been looking for some time at those other wannabe cheapo devices people on here link along with CFW to fire up the 8bit and some 16bit stuff out of those cheap chinese mini gb-esque style shelled handhelds but this would be leagues beyond it.

On 10/19/2019 at 12:00 PM, PlaysWithWolves said:

The pocket does come with a microSD slot.  Didn't Kevin release a bunch of FPGA cores for one of their other systems to load through the SD card?

The Nt Mini had a bunch of cores for things like the OG Game Boy and a bunch of 8-bit consoles. The Mega Sg does Colecovision via jailbreak along with Master System and Game Gear. So yeah there's a lot of precedent for a jailbreak here. 

This thing is fine, I guess, but I just don't do much handheld gaming. I'm more interested in the rumored Analogue 8, assuming it's some sort of Nt Mini refresh. 

Edited by derFunkenstein

My experience has been FPGAs rarely have 100% accuracy or compatibility and in many ways both are better with good PC emulators, you can even use the gamut of original controllers for almost all consoles with inexpensive adapters like a 2600daptor D9. Much of this may simply be a 25 year head start.

• 2 months later...

quick question about the fpga chip. I assume this will eventually be jailbroken to allow people to run ROMs of games off of an sd card.  Does the fpga chip run ROMs better than traditional emulation? (I understand that it will allow you to run games off the cartridges better that traditional emulation, but what about roms on an sd card?)