IGNORED

WANTED: Feedback for Baby Pac-Man

Dauber

Now that PRGE has happened and the game is now available, I'm looking for feedback a future episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 ).

What are your thoughts on Baby Pac-Man Collection?

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline will be...hmm....let's say 11:59pm CDT Hallowe'en. Thanks!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dauber said:

Now that PRGE has happened and the game is now available, I'm looking for feedback a future episode of the Atari 7800 Homebrew Podcast (you can find it on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play, or use this feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/homebrew78 ).

What are your thoughts on Baby Pac-Man Collection?

You can also e-mail text or audio to homebrew78 -at- fab4it -dot- com.

Deadline will be...hmm....let's say 11:59pm CDT Hallowe'en. Thanks!

Where is the game available?

Where can I see a YouTube presentation?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacManPlus said:

It was made available at PRGE.  As far as I know, 30+ were sold.  I signed 5 of them :)

I believe they will be in the store shortly thereafter.

There is a video of the game being played although I don't know who posted it (I'm in an airport at the moment).

Congrats Bob! Hope you enjoyed the show!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PacManPlus said:

It was made available at PRGE.  As far as I know, 30+ were sold.  I signed 5 of them :)

I believe they will be in the store shortly thereafter.

There is a video of the game being played although I don't know who posted it (I'm in an airport at the moment).

Congratulations with another completed project!!

• Like 1

Baby Pac-Man on the 7800 is awesome! I have to say that the arcade unit is just too damn hard for me to play...as it appeared to be for lots of casual gamers at PRGE. I was watching a group of players going at it, and they kept asking “how do you play it?” I’m really bad at the arcade game, but none of those players got past the first level.

I also couldn’t quite get a handle on the arcade controls. The flippers seemed to be kind of weak and I couldn’t get the ball moving very fast...is this common? Then again, I played it Saturday night, and it probably had tons of use before that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

Hi guys...  I thought he meant video of it being played at the show :dunce:

Edward's got that covered ?

First game played in the below video. He jumps back to it too, after a brief look at Galagon for the 2600:

P.S. Great game playing, Bob. ?

• Like 4

Baby Pac-Man is great!  The game retains the hard level of difficulty that the coin-op is known for and it plays exceptionally well.  The pinball physics are truly amazing and the transitions between maze and pinball are smooth and provide a bit of a breather if needed.  The key to Baby Pac-Man is the pinball portion of the game.  You'll need to practice playing this portion, as pinball is the way you'll achieve your high scores.  

Thanks to everyone involved for making 7800 Baby Pac-Man a must own game. 

:-oNote:-o  You haven't seen anyone play Baby Pac-Man until you've seen the man himself, Bob (AKA Pac-Man Plus) DeCrescenzo play this game. What a treat. I almost had a chance to watch him play the coin-op too, but it was being played by two gentlemen and Bob needed to get back to the PRGE AA booth.  

BPM.jpg

• Like 4

It's a great port. Played it all day Sunday after picking up a copy at PRGE. What's impressive is how similarly it plays to the arcade, the pinball physics are quite close to how the game actually plays on a real machine. It's hard as hell too.

Pretty much the only classic-style pac man game the 7800 doesn't have now is Pac & Pal. Thanks Bob!

• Like 1

Thanks, guys - holy crap!  That's me playing it in the beginning of the video.

My God, I need to lose all that weight I've gained... :(

...and remember, this game would have been dead in the water without Kurt's pinball physics code.  That gave me the kick in the butt I needed to finish the game.  I *still* need to go through his commented code to see how it was done.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Baby Pac Man is a dream come true for 7800 lovers, pinball enthusiasts, and Pac-Man fanatics. The arcade game was one of those quirky early eighties titles- some people loved it, others didn't get it. The 7800 port has several advantages- you can change the enemy A.I., it requires far less maintenance and upkeep, and you get to keep your quarters. Sound is good, with no Pokey required. If you already own Pac Man collection and want more, check it out.

• Like 3

In the arcade halls,i hated Baby Pac.....much too

heavy to play and it ate my money too fast.

But the 7800 conversion is my game of the year.

It does not eat my money ? and plays very well.

It is a really great effort to combine a pinball machine and an arcade video gane for the 7800.

Only suggestion.....i want a teddy bear difficulty ?

cause the game is heavy like the arcade game.

• Like 1

I wasn't a huge fan of this in the arcade way back when, but I've grown to appreciate it more lately.  I love it on the 7800. It fills a sorely unfilled niche on the 7800, that being no pinball game for the console.  Bob and Kurt, and everyone on the dev team did an outstanding job.

• Like 2

Yeah this is one of those games that nobody played back in the day because it was a quarter eater, and not in a terribly fair way.

Having a home version where quarters are not required is making me appreciate it a lot more than I once did. It really is a clever game. Just ... hard.

• Like 1

this looks amazing and hard. The only problem I might have with this one is the whooew whooew whooew sound its a bit to much but then again thats how pac-man generally is though the Sega gensis Ms pack man is ok not annoying at all. Do what you think is best it is my opinion. When do we expect to see this in the AA store.

• Like 1

As a tiny contributor on this brilliant title from Bob and Kurt I am so happy to hear people saying it is hard, I nagged poor Bob and Kurt so much I am sure they were sick of hearing from me during development pressing them to make it harder than every previous version ha ha .  I however own and love the original arcade game and wanted to suggest and advise everything I could to help those two guys make the best and closest version to the arcade in terms of the actual ridiculous difficulty of the pinball and ghost monster difficulty.

Don't worry once you get the hang of earning power pellets your scores will start to climb, but yes it's a game you have to practice and work at, just like the games of yesteryear!

The game is a triumph to Bob and Kurt's vision and their genius programming, I am very much looking forward to buying a copy when they are available!

• Like 3

On 10/21/2019 at 6:33 AM, Trebor said:

Edward's got that covered ?

First game played in the below video. He jumps back to it too, after a brief look at Galagon for the 2600:

P.S. Great game playing, Bob. ?

Thanks for recording what I missed this year. I will definitly be buying 7800 titles. Always wished there were more. The original lineup is weak. Hopefully people keep them comming.

• Like 1