IGNORED

Any one got one of these monitors?

Mclaneinc

Supposedly there's only a few LCD panel manufacturers in the world, LG is one of them and they have a pretty good reputation.

That said though, a good panel can be backed by shitty electronics (PS and logic board) which can let the whole show down.

But being an LG branded job it should be OK.  It's IPS also (in-plane switching) which is better than the basic TN type.

IPS generally means the viewing angle should be better and colours/brightness should remain consistent among a large range of viewing angles.

I don't have one - got a 22 and 24 Benq as well as an old Chimei that I recapped a few years ago and a 4:3 Viewsonic that I scored as a throwaway, as well as a little Asus which I bought only because it was cheap.

The things to test with monitors - if it's the one you're buying do a black, white, red, green, blue fullscreen test which should reveal any stuck or dead pixels (prod them, it'll sometimes fix it).

And get a few pictures with good colour/luma spread and do the viewing angle consistency test.  Good monitors will remain constant over nearly the full 180 degrees.

The downside though with this particular monitor so it seems from the specs in the description - only D-Sub and HDMI.

D-Sub is the old 3 rows of 5 pins each plug that was in common use from the mid 90s.  Still very common in commercial applications but the video quality is poor compared to digital types.

HDMI is common on most monitors these days and some even have 2 such sockets.

The missing things are DVI though it's been superseded by HDMI and DisplayPort - which is the other missing thing.

As prices go, I'd not get over excited as you can sometimes find 24" monitors with better specs on sale or clearance around the same.

I'm tempted for my emulation collection, my current and old Samsung monitor is in the 60-75hz range only so PAL emulation is choppy, size does not matter to me as my real crts are old school 14" etc. They are fine for my C64 and Ayari bar the horrible composite banding but although I own a real Snes etc I simply can't have everything out at once and unpacking and repacking is a true pain for me in every sense so emulation for them is easiest.

Also, I'm one of those people who look at a big screen filled with say an Atari game and I can't help but think the pixels at that size looking dead ugly....As a work monitor, yeah something big would be nice but cost becomes a HUGE factor. I afford my treats with real scrimping and selling off little bits that I really don't want to sell but its the only real way to get new stuff and the whole notion isn't just relevant to me, many of us on here have to do the same.

In some ways I like it that way, sort of feels like I've earned it :)

Thank you for the positive feedback..........Right, selling my daughter, 90 cash only, free UK delivery!!

Lol....She would kill me :)

Cheers rybags for the excellent checks to make, not had a dead pixel in anything I've had and I don't want to start now, the draw as you might have seen now is the nice wide hz range, the bane of any monitor I've had since by beloved  17" iyamma (spelling?) crt died years ago is the 60 - 75hz range which is great for NTSC stuck but yucky for PAL bits and as I was brought up on PAL and many releases are PAL its seems right to get something that fits that bill and seems half decent.

So that's why I plonked this in here, I'm ok when it comes to TV electronics in a general sense but you guys know your stuff and I hugely admire the folk in here for being incredibly technical and / or helpful.

Generally computer monitors start at 60 Hz.  Getting 50 Hz can be a case of fiddling with custom modes in the nVidia or AMD graphics control panel and it might or mightn't work.

I've just run every LCD of mine at stock 60 and put up with the inconsistencies when doing emulation of PAL systems.

Interesting... I just tried a few custom refresh rates on my 24" Benq - 50 Hz works.  Tried 70 and above and you just lose pixels.  So max rate is probably somewhere in the 60s for this one.

Interlaced works though but it's an ugly flicker-fest.

I've not really played around much with custom modes on LCDs - used to do it a bit on CRTs as you have much more flexibility to play with resolution there but LCDs tend to look crap in anything other than native resolution or an integer divisor of it.

Holy crap, didn't think about the Nvidia CP, just nipped in there, found a setting @  50Hz and it worked, smooth as silk  at 50 Yay......

Thank you Rybags....Back in the old days I used to play with a well known but the names forgotten by me bit of software, it was a paid item with a trial....Used to hear the poor old tube making some really odd noises so left it alone :)

Well pleased with the 50Hz...Thank you again..

I used to have various utilities like that too - guru3d.com probably still has them.  Most became obsolete when they started just incorporating custom res creation and overclocking/fan profiles into the stock drivers.  Though in my experience fan control is poorly done so I use MSI Afterburner to do the job properly.

17 hours ago, Rybags said:

The missing things are DVI though it's been superseded by HDMI and DisplayPort - which is the other missing thing.

The HDMI and DVI video signals are actually the same, HDMI uses a different connector in order to be smaller and more consumer friendly with the ability to also include digital audio and ethernet. 

• Like 1