IGNORED

Ever Buy An Atari System On Launch Day?

The only system that I ever get on launch day (well, launch week anyway) is whatever the new flavor of GameBoy happens to be.

That sounds about right. I would have gotten a PS2 on launch date if I could have, but they were sold out everywhere.

Got a Jaguar on launch day, which was decidedly low key.

Also scored a PS2 on launch day by going to Sears, where there was no line. Of course it was defective out of the box.

Got an XBox on launch day because I knew the manager of the local Circuit City. I played show and tell with the external PS2 hard drive from the company where I worked at the time, and he set one aside for me.

Eric

Now my big secret is out. It works all over the country.

NO ONE EVER THINKS OF LOOKING AT SEARS

They get the games and systems the same day as everyone else. Keep it to yourselves kids and you'll always have your stuff at launch week.

The only Atari system I bought on Launch day was the Atari Jaguar. And it showed up in different parts of the country at different times, so there really wasn't a coordinated launch day like you have with systems today. If I remember correctly, they launched the Jaguar in a few select cities first, and gradually it became available all over the country. I was living in Framingham, Massachusetts at the time and bought mine from a Nobody Beats The Wiz store on Route 9 (which from my understanding is no longer there, which is amusing as the store was brand new when I bought the Jaguar).

I think I paid $249.99 for it. :)

..Al

Hmm, now that I think of it, I've never gotten any classic system at launch. Must have had something to do with being a kid with no money.

Got a

Sega Saturn at launch (oof! $400!)

import Sega Dreamcast almost a year before the US launch (ack! $300!)

GameCube on launch day (argh! $200)

I paid some eBay scalper for a launch PS2 bundle, but I've surpressed the memory of how much it was. It seemed like a good deal at the time. Still can't believe that thing was sold out for months after launch.

I think my tolerance for launch prices is waning.

Now my big secret is out. It works all over the country.  

NO ONE EVER THINKS OF LOOKING AT SEARS

They get the games and systems the same day as everyone else. Keep it to yourselves kids and you'll always have your stuff at launch week.

I did, that's how I got my PS2 on launch day.

Eric

Got my PS2 on Launch Day- I was #95 out of 96! Haven't had a problem (yet?)

I bought a Lynx AFTER its debut- I recall bringing it to work right from the mall & telling my manager it was "the future of video games". I think I was right- for awhile.

I also bought my Jag (same store) after its debut but still paid $250. The store had bad checks the previous Xmas so they didn't accept them over $200! I got into it w/ the clerk, store manager, etc & had to go to the bank & w/draw another $50!!! The manager was nice enough to give me a discount for my trouble on whatever game I bought w/ it...

Never got an Atari system on launch date -- the only systems I did get on launch day were the GBA and GBA SP. I got the N64 the day after launch day.

And speaking of Sears, that's were I purchased my PS1 back when FF7 came out. Down in the Bellevue Mall in NE -- nobody ever thinks of going there :D But, it appears that Sears is only carrying Sony and Microsoft now -- I have no idea what happened to the Nintendo gear, but it seems pretty stupid to me. Why would anyone want to sell the XBox and not the GBA and GCN? Maybe if it was a choice between XBox and GCN, but I'm assuming that it was an all or nothing deal...

Or maybe Nintendo just realised that nobody buys games at Sears... :)

Archived