IGNORED

Colecovision maintenance/repair question...

gavv

Hi all,

I picked up a CV at a garage sale a few weeks ago, and have been having trouble with it, as it's having a 'jumbled sprite' (all i could figure out how to describe the problem ^^) error problem. I believe i saw in a thread before something about it possibly being caused by a dirtied up power switch, but not much description about what you could do to fix the problem....Knowing that the CV isnt' the easiest case to get in to, i thought i'd ask for advice before going in blind,

thanks,

gavv ^^

YOur probelm could be teh result of 2 things.

1. The power switch (as you mentioned)

2. The power supply. This is the most likely culprit. I have seen thsi time and time again on these units. The power plug usually gets a short or disconnected wire at the plug.

To really determine if it is the switch, you can dissemble the unit and "fiddle" with the power switch (contact cleaner and such) and see if that helps. If not, then, I am almost certain it is your power supply.

Good luck,

-Lee

I've had this problem. I would start by cleaning the carts/cart port first as this is the easiest thing to do. I've actually have never had a CV power supply go bad (I have 4 of them), it's always been the switch. You can tell if you wiggle the power switch when the jumbled screen comes up, chances are the screen will rejumble, meaning it's the switch. If that's the case, open up the CV (it's a big pain compared to some other consoles) and try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the swicth and move it around a bit. Let it dry before power up. This has always worked for me.

Good Luck!

Archived