IGNORED

AES 4.1 and FreeMINT 1.15.12 and TOS 2.06 Incompatibility?

With this setup on my 4mb STE, when I try to resize a window using the box in the lower right hand corner, the GUI will freeze. Is this a problem with AES 4.1 in general or a combination of things? What should I downgrade to fix this problem, as it can be rather annoying. Thanks!

The Atari AES 4.1 is very outdated at this time. So I think it is better to use third party AES. For example commercial N.AES or free XaAES. Second you can download from XaAES site or Sparemint site.

Can you tell me which one has a better GUI? I tried either Naes or Xaes, I forgot which one, and it kept booting in low resolution and i couldn't get it to do ANYTHING because I couldn't see what was going on because it was all overlapping. Thanks.

You must set the start resolution properly in XaAES config file.

Hard to say which one is better, I am using N.AES because not every calls are implemented in XaAES yet. But XaAES is under heavy development and everytime new XaAES appear I play with it. And I think that XaAES is more and more stable

Three questions.

1. I installed XaAES. Is there any way to get a "desktop" with it (besides x11 - i'm on an STE)

2. Where can I get N.AES?

3. Is there any way I could have FreeMiNT prompt me as to which AES should be run or am I going to need to edit the config file each time?

Thanks for all the help!

Three questions.

1. I installed XaAES.  Is there any way to get a "desktop" with it (besides x11 - i'm on an STE)

Yes, you must use some desktop application. Try new Teradesk http://members.ams.chello.nl/h.robbers/Home.html

2. Where can I get N.AES?

I am not sure but I remember Woller Systeme is selling N.AES.

3. Is there any way I could have FreeMiNT prompt me as to which AES should be run or am I going to need to edit the config file each time?

There is several ways how to start AES from MiNT. For example you can start AES from mint.cnf.

BTW you can ask in freemint mailing list. There is more people which can help you.

As a longtime ST user, I must ask..  What the  heck is AES?

AES is that part of TOS, which is resposible for window and menu control, rendering and manipulation of objects and for system messages. In single TOS it is included in ROM, but if you want to use MiNT you need external AES.

Archived