IGNORED

Track & Field 2600 cart only

classicgamer74

29 minutes ago, eddhell said:

I seem to find more controllers in ratio to cartridges....why is that?

just opposite of Omega Race - more carts than booster grips...

I suspect all those years ago, when most people were selling or donating their old Atari stuff, things like the Booster Grip were lost and/or placed in other bins. In places like GoodWill and Salvation Army, probably found their way to the PC or small electronics side of things. 

On the cartridge label of Omega Race, CBS should have pictured the Booster Grip (in line art at least) instead of just saying 'use with booster grip adapter'. I bought the cartridge loose, years before the Internet and never realized what the Booster Grip even looked like. Doubt I would have recognized it as an Atari peripheral, even if I had seen it mixed with misc. PC controllers and the like.

BTW: CG74, here's a pic of my T&F cartridge... notice anything different about it? @pboland makes reproduction labels and happened to have a jazzed-up T&F example that I just love. The camera's not doing a great job of depicting the metallic silver either as it's not just a flat gray like the original. Looks more like the silver series of other carts of the time. 

track.thumb.jpg.ee031c04472cf20edb7bf981fa82fc4f.jpg

Typical example: 

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.52f67e59774a500da7a5cfd918f380eb.jpg

...like above, the label on mine wasn't the greatest (scratched, uncentered, etc.), so decided what the hell. Besides being B&W, original T&F labels are garbage anyway. Not even die cut, they look like some child using safety scissors and school glue, affixed them. Really strange label choice that sticks out (and not in a good way) in a collection of other Atari carts. Phil's label rectified that.   ;)

I never even saw the Track and Field controller when it was new....in fact, didn't know it existed until about 10 years ago, by the time that was available we had already moved on to Commodore 64 and didn't give a shit about 2600 anymore.  

The weirdest part - I got my T&F controller (severely used) in a Colecovision cartridge lot.  No T&F cart, just odds and ends - RF connectors covered in rust, extra controllers for coleco and atari, and 39 coleco carts, 22 of which were somewhat rare....strange lot.

• 1 month later...

I was researching C-64 carts, figured out why so many more T&F controllers.....C-64 version was of Track and Field was on Disk!  Naturally, most of us kept our games in 'disk organizers' and it was easy for controllers and the matching games to get separated over time....