IGNORED

Redemption 5200 Controller Adapter Announced

Albert

5200Controller.jpgPixels Past and AtariAge have announced a new controller adapter for the Atari 5200 called Redemption 5200. Redemption 5200 allows you to use controllers from other systems so you can enjoy Atari 5200 games without fighting the standard Atari 5200 controllers, which are notorious for frequently malfunctioning. Redemption 5200 comes in three models, all allowing non-5200 controllers to be used on a 5200 system.

• Atari 2600 and Sega SMS/Genesis
  • Atari 7800 (with two fire button support)
  • PC joystick (analog style with trimmers)

All Redemption 5200 models also allow you to plug in a standard Atari 5200 controller, giving simultaneous access to the 5200 Keypad for games that require it. Redemption 5200 will make its debut at the Austin Gaming Expo, where you'll be able to try out all three versions and purchase them at the Pixels Past table.

How much will the adapter cost??

And will they be available after the show??

I was wondering when something like this was going to be produced and sold in numbers. I looked into it about 5 years ago. But nothing ever came of it.

We haven't figured out a price yet, but we'll try to keep it affordable ;)

They will definetely be available after the show through the AtariAge store. AA has been an exclusive "distributor" of all the stuff I design so I can continue to build cool stuff and have them sell it. It works out well (so, if you've been dreaming of other videogame gadgets you need, PM me!) :wink:

I never used my 5200 because I hated the controllers so much. The Redemption project came together nicely and it kicks major ass, if I say so myself. Being able to use a 2600 controller is key for me, since that's my favorite, but the 2 other models support the 7800 controller or an analog PC joystick if that's your style. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with an easy way to combine all 3 joysticks into one unit.

I hope you guys like it :)

I was wondering when something like this was going to be produced and sold in numbers. I looked into it about 5 years ago. But nothing ever came of it.

I did the same about 6 months ago ...

The Atari 2600/ Genesis and Atari 7800 adapters are gonna be expensive .. because of the complex circuitry involved.

The PC adapter is alot simpler ..

The biggest obstacle for me was finding cables that can plug into the 5200 ..

Then there are options:

1. Do people want a reproduction WICO cable setup (which provides for the greatest modular flexibility)?

2. Or do people want an all in one box with which to use the 2600 keyboard as a replacement? If the latter, then there is the issue of making a good looking box that has the RESET, PAUSE, START buttons ...

3. Another option is an adapter with 16 button keypad for keyboard and RPS buttons too.

I have all of the above including: A simple box with three buttons into which I plug a PC controller and a 2600 keyboard. Voila! :D Simplicity and full functionality without any 1982 controller compromise. :P

Dang .. all this sounds like an advertisement for my stuff .. Well I did have fun making the circuits (by other's designs) and figuring out how the 2600 keyboard can work with the 5200.

But as Ice Cold knows, all this stuff is very labor intensive .. So we'll have to wait and see what Pixels Past comes up with pricewise. Did they find a source for the cables? I couldn't ..

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Being able to use a 2600 controller is key for me, since that's my favorite, but the 2 other models support the 7800 controller or an analog PC joystick if that's your style. Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with an easy way to combine all 3 joysticks into one unit.  

At first I didn't realize that you were going to have 3 different models but I guess it makes logistical sense. So if I plan on using the 7800 model to support a 2-button 7800 proline joystick I assume it will also support the 2-button 7800 joypad. And since you can plug in 2600 joysticks into a 7800 console why do you need different 2600 and 7800 versions of the Redemption?

To answer Rob's question, yes, I found a source for cables, but they aren't original Atari ones. That was a big roadblock for me, too, but I found a good source of DB15 cables that would be prepared in advance for assembly into the boards.

The pricing will probably be similar for all three models. The component costs are pretty much negligible, even though the 2600 and 7800 versions require a few more parts. The real cost comes down to the labor and time required to put all the circuitry together, wire up the cable, packge it, etc.

The cool thing about the Redemption units is they have a DB15 connector on them, too, so you can plug a 5200 controller in, as well, to allow you to use the keypad ont here. Kind of like the Wico adapter, I think?

To answer Oesii's question, since the 7800 model supports the 2-button "standard" joystick, it will also support the joypad. Two different models were needed because of the way the fire buttons are wired up on the 2600 and 7800 joysticks. If you plugged a 2600 joystick into the 7800, you would only have 1 fire button. I figured that the most important part of the 7800 stick was to have 2 fire buttons (which are commonly used on 5200 games), and supporting 2 firebuttons required wiring different from supporting 1 firebutton with the 2600. Heh.

Joe

Actually, I considered using a switch to do it, but it required a 3PDT switch, which aren't cheap. And to find one in a form-factor to fit inside the housing was a real pain, so I decided to split the models up - most of the switches I found were all metal toggle switches and were upwards of $10 each in small (few hundred) quantities. Slide switches I found were flaky and hard to acquire. I didn't want to have one version that cost way too much, and I'd rather let people pick their preferred poison for a lower cost :)

We're not totally sure, but I'm going to assume around $50 each (definetely not more than that) and there will be a discount for buying 2 or 3 (for people that want the other models).

Wait until you see some pictures. They look sweet! Hopefully we'll get some together soon. :)

Joe

Nobody really wants to blow $50 on a controller, but when you are talking about the 5200, for which dependable controllers are often hard to find & just as expensive, it's a different story. $50 or so is cheaper than a Masterplay or Wico on Epay.

Of course I already have a Masterplay, and I love playing the 5200 with Sega Genesis 6-button controllers.

To sum up my thoughts, this is a GREAT idea, making these adapters available to anyone who wants one! It may be primarily responsible for causing many to shy away from the system due to it's evil sticks (of which I must add, reports have been greatly exaggerated. But that's another thread.) :P

IMO, I'd prefer an controller alternative that does not need the standard controller, ala the Wico with the Y connector.

I don't know about you guys, but the only buttons I really use on my 5200 controller are the start, pause and reset. I rarely if ever use the keypad for most games. The # and * buttons may be needed from time to time to select levels and difficulty, but I don't often use them.

The problem with the keypad is, from my experience, even with a rebuilt controller, the keypad can be difficult or impossible to use. I'm referring to the numeric portion of it, not the start-pause-reset.

I think it would be nice if these basic function buttons could be worked into an adaptor.

I don't understand why all the adapters will be similarily priced. The masterplay circuit is WAY more work and much more complicated. The PC adapter circuit is very cheap to make(around $2, and I didn't even buy in bulk), and fairly simple too.

Well, good luck, hopefully I won't be "put out of business"(I only make a few of the PC adapters here and there, but it's nice to have the extra money sometimes).

As I mentioned above, it's not the cost of the components that dictates the overall cost of the product. It's the time required to populate the board, solder the connectors, add the DB15 cable (that connects to the 5200), fit it into the case, add the label, test the product, package and ship, etc - all the things that have to be done regardless of which model it is.

From a design point-of-view, the 2600 and 7800 interfaces took a lot more time and effort on my side, but that doesn't mean they should cost more than simpler models. The mechanical design, parts sourcing, etc. also took a lot of time, and that was common for all 3 models.

Anyway, I doubt you'll be "put out of business", so I wouldn't worry. :P

Joe

Archived