IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Hello guys

Could we get some popcorn here?  I don't like them salted and I'm a diabetic, so please put some of that solid sweetener on it.

Serious mode on:

STOP FIGHTING OVER EVERY ... WORD!!!

We're all adults here (at least age wise), there is no need what so ever to fight each other over every f*ing word.  That goes for every side of the conflict!  Accept that people have different ideas and suggestions and accept that a developer/programmer is free to use those ideas and suggestions or to not use them.  We're not here to burn developers and programmers down, we do however have ideas that we think could make the hardware or software that is being realized better.  We are not the ones that will be remembered for our ideas, the developers and programmers will be remembered for their products.  That said, the developer and programmer has the freedom to reject our ideas, it's his or her or its product, so the decision is his, hers of its.

SO STOP FIGHTING!!!

Because it's not leading to new hardware or software, it's leading to people leaving.  Leaving their product or even leaving the Atari 8 bit scene.

Sincerey

Mathy

PS I know Covid-19 turned all of us into victims in some form or another, please don't let the Atari 8 bit community be a victim.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Mathy said:

PS I know Covid-19 turned all of us into victims in some form or another, please don't let the Atari 8 bit community be a victim.

When it comes to COVID-19 the battle is about the lifestyle as we know. PoP is so much more - it's about the Atari legacy and users pride. :D

Don't be so simple minded and don't stop the fire ;)

Edited by zbyti
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/8/2021 at 4:35 AM, STE'86 said:

thats very interesting, i had no idea that you could mix and match colour depth like that on the bbc. i had wrongly assumed that to display on the 8 colour mode that you would have to store the sprites in 8 colour mode.

It's all software sprites on the BBC: so very slow but great freedom in terms of format... The A8 sprites are a mix of

software and hardware.

I believe the original sprites dimensions could have been kept on the beeb with a fair amount of work.

The atrocious beeb palette could possibly been improved with flickering (between white and purple for the skin for instance) at 50hz which would have been another good chunk of work requiring surgical precision but that would have pushed the bounds of what people believe is possible on that machine. (Not sure why people don't use this trick in games on C64)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mathy said:

STOP FIGHTING OVER EVERY ... WORD!!!

No!!!

(It's probably more like every other sentence anyway.)

Stop fighting with people for fighting!!!

(It was a very harmonious chorus of debates, disagreements, rebuttals,

and off-topic humor, until you came along and interrupted things...)

Let everyone fight in peace, please!?!?

(Forget popcorn; pick up some stones and show us what you're made of.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2021 at 4:49 AM, STE'86 said:

Today i was looking at the past few pages, i was struck by the title image that Jose posted and was inspired to think that something like this could work. colour selection and conversion permitting obviously

title.png

I really like this one. Great suggestion STE!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rensoup said:

It's all software sprites on the BBC: so very slow but great freedom in terms of format... The A8 sprites are a mix of

software and hardware.

I believe the original sprites dimensions could have been kept on the beeb with a fair amount of work.

The atrocious beeb palette could possibly been improved with flickering (between white and purple for the skin for instance) at 50hz which would have been another good chunk of work requiring surgical precision but that would have pushed the bounds of what people believe is possible on that machine. (Not sure why people don't use this trick in games on C64)

interlacing is very old hat on the c64 as is interleaving lines of colour to use chroma noise to give the impression of more colours. the c64 community by and large will not use interlacing tho as its very noticeable and "flickers like a bastard" no matter what u may read elsewhere its a nasty practice.

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

(It was a very harmonious chorus of debates, disagreements, rebuttals,

and off-topic humor, until you came along and interrupted things...)

2 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

Yeah, that's the one. Parts of this thread remind me of that. :D

I never realised it was that old. I thought it was a more modern production. 

4 hours ago, STE'86 said:

interlacing is very old hat on the c64 as is interleaving lines of colour to use chroma noise to give the impression of more colours. the c64 community by and large will not use interlacing tho as its very noticeable and "flickers like a bastard" no matter what u may read elsewhere its a nasty practice.

nasty or mindblowing... see Metal Slug on an atari STe: 

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/322794-metal-slug-mission-1-for-atari-ste-complete/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRBcTnn-5M