IGNORED

Space Fury Kicks Ass

VectorGamer

Yes I was a big fan of this game BITD. I remember our local Two Guys Department store had a Space Fury and Star Castle side by side. Two kick ass vector games.

Whenever I get in a hypomanic state I like to play some Space Fury and just kill everything in sight. What a great shooter this game is.

The games released for the ColecoVision and Vectrex just don't do it for me.

According to Aurcade.com my high score on the arcade game is 68K which I put up at the Funspot tournament years ago. Just put up 40K on my Pi.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I remember SF, they had one at the local Malibu Grand Prix. Cyclops dude kind of scared me, but the voice synthesis was awesome.

Am I remembering this detail right: You had to choose a spaceship hull for each of the first 3 screens, and each one had different firing directions. Whichever one you picked last, you were stuck with it for the rest of the game?

1 hour ago, lymontyme said:

Am I remembering this detail right: You had to choose a spaceship hull for each of the first 3 screens, and each one had different firing directions. Whichever one you picked last, you were stuck with it for the rest of the game?

You have to complete each wave before more ships appear. After you complete each wave in a timely fashion you're presented with a screen to choose your power-up and then you earn your bonus points. You should choose 12:00, 3:00 and then 9:00 (which gives you triple bullets). You will not necessarily be stuck with the third power-up for the rest of the game because it is possible to complete that wave before more ships appear and you'll again be presented with the power-up screen.

I always found Space Fury pretty unapproachable.  I really like the basic concept of the game, but damn is it frustrating.  I think my highest score is around 30k but that was a bit of a fluke if I recall.  

22 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

I always found Space Fury pretty unapproachable.  I really like the basic concept of the game, but damn is it frustrating.  I think my highest score is around 30k but that was a bit of a fluke if I recall.  

I think my high in MAME using an XBOX controller is around 57K. I put up a higher score at a Funspot tournament on an actual cabinet - around 75K I think.

I watched John McAllister put up over 200K on it while I was waiting in line to play it. The key to getting a high score is to keep your ship moving at the most difficult levels to stay away from the missiles.

I love this game and can play it over and over again. I wish this game were more common so I could play an actual cabinet instead of in MAME.

• Like 1

I think my problem is my aim just sucks.  I try to point my fire at enemies and miss just a bit to the left, I make a correction, now I miss a bit to the right, and by that point they have fired on me or rammed into me and I'm dead.  I have the same problem in Asteroids but at least in Asteroids, most of the "enemies" aren't chasing you around.  You can do things in sticky situations like bolt off the edge of the screen to wrap around to the opposite side and you have a good chance of being in the clear for a moment to regroup.  If you try that in Space Fury, the enemies stop on a dime and start a mad dash toward you immediately so it doesn't help like it does in Asteroids. 

Anyway, I'm not averse to ridiculously difficult arcade games in principle, but when they're more infuriating than fun I tend to move on to something else and this one falls in that category for me. 

40 minutes ago, Cynicaster said:

Anyway, I'm not averse to ridiculously difficult arcade games in principle, but when they're more infuriating than fun I tend to move on to something else and this one falls in that category for me.

Have you ever played Satan Of Saturn?

23 hours ago, VectorGamer said:

Have you ever played Satan Of Saturn?

Not sure that one rings a bell.  I just checked out a quick Let's Play on youtube and it looked like the guy was getting killed by invisible bullets.  

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2024 at 12:08 PM, lymontyme said:

Cyclops dude kind of scared me, but the voice synthesis was awesome.

I wasn't scared of him, but the similar alien from Rolling Thunder scared the shiznit out of me. Kids are weird.

• Like 1