IGNORED

Whats the difference....

... between Pac-Man Plus and Pac-Man? Was it just a speed up, different objects appearing under the ghost house (looked like the first was a coke can), and slightly different looking ghosts or was there more?

Thanks in advance!

Mendon

Think it was just another try at making a few more quarters on the name.

Game does not look that much different. http://coinop.org/g.aspx/101253/Pac_Man_Plus.html

There was also Jr. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Pac-Man, Pac-Land, Puck-Man and more.

Differences are noted on this page.

http://www.atarimagazines.com/cva/v1n2/pacman.php

Pac Man Plus started as an illegal hack. Very little difference really other than the fact that the ghost movements are supposed to be random. The hack was designed to defeat patterns. Midway sued the maker and as part of the settlement released it themselves.

Thanks for all the posts and info!!

The one I saw on Starcade yesterday was different than the pic's on that website, Surf. The ghosts had what looked like hats on (or at least something on their head) and the first object that came under the ghost house wasn't a cherry but a Coke can.... strange.

Mendon

Thanks for all the posts and info!!

The one I saw on Starcade yesterday was different than the pic's on that website, Surf. The ghosts had what looked like hats on (or at least something on their head) and the first object that came under the ghost house wasn't a cherry but a Coke can.... strange.

Mendon

Yeah, I think it's a pretty bizarre game. When you eat a power pellet, the ghosts turn blue and have a hat with a flag on it. And sometimes when you eat a power pellet one of the ghosts doesn't actually turn blue! All of the "fruits" in this game are supposed to be cocktails I think. I think it's much harder than the original Pac-Man.

Not all drinks...for example there is a loaf of bread. BTW the thing above their heads is supposed to be an apple stem. The game is a variant of the "Midway (harder?)" version...where the board difficulty is moved up a notch and the monsters have slightly more acceleration. Since the monsters eaten after eating a bonus are worth twice as much as ones eaten after an energizer, some people can score higher on this game. And yes, full board patterns are impossible to use (since the effects of bonus items and energizers are slightly random).

More PacMan cheats to make the game harder:

http://cheat.retrogames.com/forums/viewtop...php?p=4322#4322

[/plug]

Judging by that info I was wrong about the randomness. It was really just a speed up? Doesn't seem worth the effort.

There are more things than just a speedup. There are no more patterns. Sometimes the ghosts don't turn blue. The "prize" sometimes makes the ghosts turn blue. Sometimes the ghosts turn invisible. Later in the game, some parts of the maze turn invisible. And also of course.. the various graphic changes.

But you're right.. it's mainly just a hack and not really worth it ;)

Saw it on Starcade again today; game looked MUCH harder than the original Pac-Man as the ghosts came right out of the house and after the players. They didn't seem to wander at all but were focused on trapping the player. And they didn't stay blue very long at all.

Think I'll stick with the original.

Mendon

Archived