IGNORED

Wow, this homebrew rocks...

Dantaipan

...or should I say "blocks"

<BEGIN BRAG

I've been lucky enough to be testing a version of Atari*cough*tris for John S. and it is fantastic! If you are looking forward to any 5200 homebrew, it should be this one. Damn, if this was available for the 5200 when it was current... I can't even imagine. It runs so smooth and the sound is perfect. Great job John. Destined to be one of my 5200 most-played.

END BRAG>

How do you get to be a tester, lol???? Sounds great! Another classic homebrew for the 5200... Wow, Atari Tris, Klax, Adventure 2, Irata's Quest all coming out soon! Hell, let's just re-release the 5200 and do it the right way this time, lol!!!!

John is the bomb and the man!!!

I don't think Nintendo owns the rights, I watched a show and I think I remember it saying that the creator and another guy started a company that just creates and licenses Tetris clones.

I would have to look at the back of my Tetris Worlds box for the PS2. It has the names listed there I believe.

I talked with Tetris licensing already. They can't justify licensing for such a small amount of money. Oh well.

John

Would that mean they would still give you trouble if it was too similar to Tetris?

Allan

Gotta say it since it seems no one else will..

Having played the umpteen different "Tetris SOMETHING" games released over the last 15 years, I have come to one simple conclusion: none and I do mean NONE are as fun as the original Tetris. All are briefly amusing for short periods of time, and that's it. Yeah it's fun to blow up blocks with bombs, and to match colors in groups, but you know Street Puzzle Fighter II and Columns both do those concepts better w/o trying to pervert Tetris into something it's not. I'm a purist here, so even if the owners won't license Tetris, make a Tetris game with Tetris physics that plays like Tetris would and just don't CALL IT Tetris. If you spend too much time perverting it into something not-Tetris, I'm not going to want to buy a copy anyway. Playing pure Tetris on a 5200 is the whole point, that's just MHO. *plink plink*

• 6 months later...

...so...what ever became of "AtariTris," anyway? John, you had posted about trying to work with the owners of "Tetris" on licensing for your 5200 version. Did this mean that the owners felt they didn't need to bother licensing for a project like this (giving you a green light)? Or does this still prevent you from your release?

I was just hoping to hear an update on this project...I noticed that this site no longer has "AtariTris" on its "games in development" page. Has the project been totally stopped? I'd love to play Tetris on the 5200!

Is it that difficult to change the name of the game? Just don't call it Tetris. And maybe include options that the Tetris game doesn't have (the seletable base is a good start). And maybe change the graphics to be non-Tetrisy.

Just how many Tetris clones exist for the PC? How many of them are licensed? How many are freeware?

I agree 100% with MegaManFan. Original Tetris is the best and anything that alters the original concept will really take away from the game. During the SuperBowl, my wife wanted to play Gameboy, so I gave her all my games and then I notice that for the next hour she plays the old black/green and white Tetris. Make the game Tetris, but call it a completely different name and make the packaging nothing like Tetris - I don't know. I hope there is a solution.

Take care,

RG

They have the McDonalds we are the McDowells. They have the golden archs, we are the golden arcs. We both have all beef patty, special sauce, lettuce, and cheese, but they have the sesame seed bun. Our buns have no seeds on it.

Bug, Knat, Bug, Knat? Is there a similarity here? I think so...

(Does this sound like Tetris and AtariTris? And wouldn't it be fun if everyone held conversations by quoting movies?) 8)

Archived