IGNORED

VCS Dreidel

Karl G

This is a virtual dreidel game for up to 4 players. A simple manual is attached below.

dreidel.bas_4.png.ccef92bf22601db3427e754bef476170.png

dreidel.bas_5.png.0bce2ee59fd6dec8b4d9ab7de5da4900.png

Version 12/23/2019:

Dreidel-Complete-NTSC.bin

Dreidel-Complete-PAL60.bin

Javatari link: http://javatari.org/?ROM=http://gridbug.homebrew.net/Dreidel.bin

VCS Dreidel.pdf

Older information:

I've not been able to find any dreidel-related Atari games, so I am making a simple one with bB. I'm not Jewish, but my boys are. I hope to have a playable version before Hanukkah.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Skwrl63 said:

Put this on a Cartridge so I can add it to my Holiday Atari Collection?

I don't know that the end result will really be cart-worthy, although it would be cool if it got included in a future holiday collection. 

Anyone who wants to make a custom cart of the completed version is welcome to do so, however. 

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

Should I go for an ARM CPU enhanced 32K uber dreidel simulator, then? ;)

While it's a work in progress, as I plan to flesh out the post some more during the week, I did publish Part 3 of the CDFJ Tutorial yesterday with the source for the beginnings of Collect 3.  It shows a splash screen, non-functional menu, and a game screen that 2 players can move around on. ?

• Like 3

I don't know that the end result will really be cart-worthy, although it would be cool if it got included in a future holiday collection. 

Anyone who wants to make a custom cart of the completed version is welcome to do so, however. 

Ooh. Maybe a Menorah to light... Or Jews In Space!

• Like 1

Here's a very early version. This version 4 human players only. The only control is the joystick button to spin.

The song, and therefore the spin length definitely needs to be shortened, but I wanted to post a version with the full dreidel song added by @mvo. ?

Dreidel.bin

• Thanks 1

Here's a very early version. This version 4 human players only. The only control is the joystick button to spin.

The song, and therefore the spin length definitely needs to be shortened, but I wanted to post a version with the full dreidel song added by @mvo. ?

Dreidel.bin 4 kB · 2 downloads

Is the song data in the style that VbB uses? If so, can you post the data so I can play around with it?

2 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Is the song data in the style that VbB uses? If so, can you post the data so I can play around with it?

I don't know if the fields are in the same order or not. She also uses some constants in the data to be able to change things around quickly, but those could be handled with search and replace. I'll check with her but I doubt she will mind if I post it. 

• Like 1

I played around with it to see if I could have the music play on one channel so you could have sound effects on the other. 

Here's my attempt that has a slight "drum" sound:

dreidel_one_channel_drum.bin

Here's the same thing with no drum sound:

dreidel_one_channel_no_drum.bin

I can post the code if you want to use one of the versions. I don't think either version is better than the original, but at least the attempt gave my brain some bB exercise. 

• Like 1

I've attached a new version to the first post of this topic. This adds the following:

• Shorter music for quicker spin time
  • A numeric turn counter
  • Select switch can select between 0-4 players. 0 players is spin-only mode with no scorekeeping. For numbers of players less than 4, the computer will take over the spins of the remaining players up to 4.
  • A new splash screen at the beginning

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2019 at 10:55 AM, Karl G said:

I've attached a new version to the first post. Changes include:

• Added a PAL60 version
  • Visual fixes when selecting players
  • Replace "Shin" with "Pe" with both difficulty switches are set to "A" (this is done for dreidels founds in Israel).

dreidel.bas_6.png.8d5be6bd8081b060fc20297ca1723d80.png "Israel mode" dreidel with "Pe" letter.

Thank you for making VCS Deidel?

4 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Thank you for making VCS Deidel?

Thanks - I'm glad you appreciate it. ? 

So, my ex-wife and my boys are Jewish, and I made the game with them in mind. They both were underwhelmed with it, but mainly because the dreidel game itself is a bit dull - all randomness and no strategy. I wasn't offended.

I'm not sorry I made it though, since it was fun, and it seemed like something that should exist. Maybe next year though I'll make a platformer starring the Dreidel Dude (running joke in my household), and see if they like that better. :P

• Like 2