IGNORED

Black and White Astrocade

Cafeteriafraiche

Hi all,

I recently got what I think was a pretty good deal on an Astrocade. It was in very good physical condition. Came with 20-25 games, so almost all of them, four controllers, most of the manuals and the BASIC cart. I'm very interested in digging into this system.

I even made the leap of faith to buy it without verification that it works. I was lucky enough that it actually does! I can play all of the games...

BUT

It's entirely in black and white. 

I replaced the RF box inside the device with a new one and have the same result. All the games play fine, but there's absolutely no color. I've been working with some friends that are very handy with soldering on some other older systems so we are ready and willing to go in and check and replace parts. But I wanted to ask around first what people think the issue we should be looking for is here. I haven't been able to find any documentation or previous posting on an issue like this.

Thanks

So stupid question but what kind of TV are you connecting it to and since you mentioned replacing the RF box did you replace the RF cable?  Are you using a switch box at the TV or one of those adapters to bypass it?  Lastly, what channel is the TV on?

No stupid questions, these are all the right questions to ask as I didn't even think about some of those variables.

So I've got it hooked up to a CRT. Channel 3 and channel 4 give the same issue. And I just tried a fresh RF cable running from the console to the TV. Still black and white. On the TV I have a coax to RCA adapter to plug the RF cable into and the coax into the TV. and this has been the case on two different CRTs.

1 minute ago, Cafeteriafraiche said:

[...] and this has been the case on two different CRTs.

I just posted a link to this thread to the Bally Alley Groups.io.  Hopefully someone there will visit this thread and help you out.  Out, and Michael hit the nail right on the head with his questions.  Oh, and Michael, I missed you on this current Astrocast.

Adam

16 minutes ago, Cafeteriafraiche said:

No stupid questions, these are all the right questions to ask as I didn't even think about some of those variables.

So I've got it hooked up to a CRT. Channel 3 and channel 4 give the same issue. And I just tried a fresh RF cable running from the console to the TV. Still black and white. On the TV I have a coax to RCA adapter to plug the RF cable into and the coax into the TV. and this has been the case on two different CRTs.

OK and the console was set to channel 3 when on 3, and 4 when on 4?  I'm trying to remember if I've seen this before but it's been 10+ years since I used RF with my Astrocade (I have the S-VIDEO  board from 8bitDomain).

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Cafeteriafraiche said:

I haven't been able to fix anything yet. I don't have an account on Ballyalley. How do I sign in?

Presuming that you are the person who just tried to get an account on the BallyAlley group.io site, then I approved you just now.  There are many thousands of messages there-- you're sure to find some great history that you'll find enlightening.  And, of course, you can post new content there too.

Adam