IGNORED

Any info on StellaDS?

AgentOrange96

• 5 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 6:51 AM, llabnip said:

Well... not too bad of a necro-bump!

After 2 years and more than 350 development hours, I've just released version 5.6 of StellaDS (based on the original Alek Maul 1.1 version).

It's 250% faster across the board - just about every bank switching scheme is supported with the exception of CDFJ/CFFJ+ and BUS.  It also adds in SaveKey support, all the popular controller types and high-score saving. I just added the DPC+ emulation with a streamlined Thumbulator... the poor DS is absolutely maxed out with not a spare CPU cycle in sight... but it will run most DPC+ games full speed on the DSi. One notable holdout is Space Rocks which runs about 54 fps though but is still quite enjoyable.

As always, you can find the newest release here:  https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS 

Many thanks to Stephen and the entire Stella team past and present for their amazing work of which this is based. I apologize for any butchering of the code during optimization ... the original DS runs at 67MHz and some sacrifices had to be made :)

image.thumb.png.f6bd6eb7636f7f07259dc50b49837d07.png

I have not logged into here for a hot minute. Dude, thank you so much! I'mma be putting this on my DSi shortly! Crazy to come back to a whole thread here.

Finally, I'll be able to play 1 Monster Truck vs 61 Children 2600 on the DSi!
Seriously, great work!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AgentOrange96 said:

I'mma be putting this on my DSi shortly!

Enjoy! I've recently released version 7.0 of StellaDS with full support for DPC+/CDF/J/+ ARM-Assisted games. The goal with this latest release is to gain more speed for ARM-assisted games and to support all of the latest cutting-edge games released by Champ Games. From the readme:

StellaDS

Champ Games Support :

Champ Games

StellaDS now supports all current Champ Games offerings through Turbo Arcade and Elevator Agent. These games represent the cutting edge of what is possible on the Atari 2600 using an ARM co-processor to help move data through the system. These games push the limits of the emulator. To run these advanced arm-assisted games, you will need a DSi or greater running either Twilight Menu++ or Unlaunch to unlock the 2X CPU (134MHz). The original DS (or the DSi/2DS/3DS running with an R4 cart) will only run in DS compatibility mode (67MHz) which is too slow to render these games full speed.

It is also recommended that you use an XL/LL model - these larger screens have a slower LCD fade resulting in a picture that more closely resembles an old TV. This means less flicker overall.

Be aware that most of these games utilize a significant amount of overscan. The DS/DSi/XL/LL only has 192 pixels of vertical resolution and this means the extra 16-20 pixels of game information will render-off screen. StellaDS will always show the main gameplay portion of the screen and utilizes a screen pan UP/DN to shift in the score or status (non-gameplay) information. For example, in GORF, you will not see the score at the top normally... but if you press the X button (pan UP), the screen will momentarily shift up to show you the score and then automatically pan back down. It's quite smooth and is very serviceable in normal gameplay.

Gorf

All Champ Games should run at or near full speed with the exception of the two most complex games: Turbo Arcade (which dips framerate slightly for some complex rendering scenes but is generally not noticeable for gameplay) and Elevator Agent which runs at 55+ (often up to full speed) but is variable enough that you will hear some slight wavering in the music output (but still quite playable and enjoyable). Try the DEMO roms first to be sure you're happy with the emulation quality here. Be aware that any performance issues related to these cutting-edge games is a reflection of my emulation and not the superior craftsmanship of the games themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...

Arrgh!

Hadn't used my 3DS in a while. Was going to update all of @wavemotion's emulators on it last night, but dropped the unit while it was plugged in. Charge port appears to be messed up and the unit no longer turns on.

Considering how little I'd used it of late, how expensive used units are going for, and the fact that I've been downsizing/decluttering, I don't think I'll replace it.

IMG_4332.thumb.jpeg.2fa021f1a7c12467bdf2e00a0ec26c06.jpeg

• Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

Before getting rid of it I decided to plug the 3DS in one last time - glad I did as this time the indicator lights came on.

The power LED was red, so the battery was very low. I pressed the power button and it turned on. It came up with a text menu complaining about the date and time being wrong - I think that screen was part of the jailbrake, but not sure and I didn't think to take a photo.

So I set the date & time to the correct values, reboot, and the normal main screen came up. The date & time were still wrong though, so I went thru system settings to set them again.

IMG_4392.thumb.jpeg.89e5c7fcd7b9764a4e0aa45817981548.jpeg

Power cord went in straight:

IMG_4393.thumb.jpeg.a818b3533e1d0774b1babcb1fa7c4b94.jpeg

Though can be moved to the left. It does not move like this to the right. When moved the screen still shows the battery is charging. I don't remember it having wiggle room like this before I dropped it.

IMG_4394.thumb.jpeg.504d55d401d5acc4ce56bc403e744a7b.jpeg

Have no idea as to why the power lights weren't working on the 13th, nor why it wouldn't turn on.  I did take it apart, and removed the battery, after I dropped it to see if I could spot anything so perhaps messing with the battery was a factor.

• Like 3

That's the plan, just need to remember how to update the emulators!

I found notes on my computer which document how I installed the custom firmware:

image.thumb.png.ec96d74899d48fb6f7d6739d177d589a.png

It ends with this:

All Done. [custom firmware is now installed]

Key combos to know:

Holding (Select) on boot will launch the Luma3DS configuration menu.
Holding (Start) on boot will launch GodMode9, or if you have multiple payloads in /luma/payloads/, the Luma3DS chainloader.
By default, pressing (Left Shoulder) + (Down D-Pad) + (Select) while in 3DS mode will open the Rosalina menu, where you can check system information, take screenshots, enable cheats, and more. This can be changed from the Rosalina menu.
Holding (Start) + (Select) + (X) on boot will make the notification LED show a color for debug purposes. See the changelog for a list.

What to do with custom firmware:
	https://3ds.eiphax.tech/tips.html

To run Stella, Install TWiLight Menu++
	https://wiki.ds-homebrew.com/twilightmenu/

For Stella:
	StellaDS.nds - put in root of SD card, put ROMs into /roms/a2600/

though I added the [] bit after pasting it here.

I do recall installing an FTP server so I could put files on the SD card without having to remove it from the 3DS and plug it into the computer.  I plan to review this topic this weekend then update the emulators.

I also want to check out the new Red Viper emulator and see how well it compares to my Virtual Boy.

IMG_4395.thumb.jpeg.70a5298afd854e3b68cfe0c01f64f265.jpeg

• Like 2

I thought Nintendo had discontinued support for the 3DS, but I've seen a system update message pop up a couple times since it started working again.  Checking Nintendo's site for 3DS System Update History I see they released Ver 11.17.0-50U on May 22, 2023. Yep, it's been a while since I'd last used it.

I've cancelled it each time as I don't want to risk the update breaking the jailbreak. I plan to do some more research on this, but that'll be later as I'm heading over to my folks - they were at the ER last night and didn't get home at 5 this morning. They're wiped out, so I'm picking up lunch.

IMG_4400.thumb.jpeg.2574594320ec088eec1a34601bd397fa.jpeg

Went to the 3DS Hacks Guide, they had this:

The latest 3DS firmware is 11.17.0. Here’s what you should know:

• If your console is running Luma 10.2.1 or higher, it is 100% safe to update. You can check your Luma version by holding (Select) while booting your console.
  • If your console is on an older Luma version, you should update Luma before you update your console to 11.17.0.
  • If your console does not yet have custom firmware, you can install it now on all firmwares with this guide.

I checked Luma's version and it was 11.0, so I would have been OK to do Nintendo's System Update.

I'd installed Luma on October 18, 2022, so since I was there I decided to review the update Luma link. It had this:

If you see a Luma3DS version of 8.0 or greater, continue to Restoring / Updating CFW

I went there and saw the current release of Luma3DS is 13.0.2, so followed the steps to update Luma. I then did Nintendo's System Update.

Tests with Draconian:

StellaDS 6.5

• level 1 - fluctuates around 55 frames
  • level 3 - stress test, flying up then down thru the stations, dipped down to 42 frames

Stella 7.2

• level 1 - mostly 60 frames with occasion dips down to 58
  • level 3 - stress test only dipped down to 49 frames

A noticeable improvement!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

StellaDS 6.5

• level 1 - fluctuates around 55 frames
  • level 3 - stress test, flying up then down thru the stations, dipped down to 42 frames

Stella 7.2

• level 1 - mostly 60 frames with occasion dips down to 58
  • level 3 - stress test only dipped down to 49 frames

A noticeable improvement!

It’s like squeezing water from the proverbial stone but yes gains have been made!

i think Space Rocks TE will just about hold 60 fps now. 

• Like 2