IGNORED

Your Favorite Computer Keyboard?

bluejay

I'm not sure if its fair to compare an 8-bit computer keyboard to a Model M., so I'd prefer to categorize.

On the 8-bit machines, I think my favorite keyboard is the Coleco ADAM.  Worst is the Sinclair ZX80.

On the 16-bit machines (not counting the obvious Model M), I actually liked the Amiga 500 keyboard, and the Apple //GS keyboard was nice.  I liked the feel of the original Mac keyboard, but I'm particular about having cursor control keys so the Mac was a no-go for me.  Sorry, Mr. Jobs, that was a dumb design decision.  Worst of the 16-bit machines for me was the Sinclair QL.  I thought I wanted one for the longest time, then I got to actually touch it...

On 12/20/2019 at 10:02 AM, wierd_w said:

Wireless has advantages, I agree.

If you want function keys, you simply cannot beat an IBM 3179 terminal keyboard.

6110344.jpg

There are adapters for it to make it basically whatever you want. (Default is IBM coax for servers.)

You will need a special driver, but where there's a will, there's a way-- and that is a LOT of extra keys you can assign things to.

If there is a wireless modern offering, bob's your uncle.

Well I do love the layout as well, I couldn't get the 3178, I got a Close second. I still have to make the USB decoder and programmer. Still close as I can get within budget lol.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Mehridian Sanders

• 2 weeks later...

I love mechanical keyboards from the "old days" and I certainly find them a joy to type on. But, most recently my favorite keyboard goes to the "CoCoMech" keyboard. A hobbyist project mechanical keyboard replacement for the Color Computer 3:

https://thezippsterzone.com/keyboards/

I actually "look forward" to typing in this...although I have not much to type about ;)

Love my Model Ms very much, but I really need to find something a bit quieter, so I can type/game on my desktop while the girlfriend is sleeping. I might have to hit up some thrifts soon and see if I can find any of the non-clicky IBMs, just for consistency's sake. Or maybe just something in USB, for the plug-n-play.

Atari 800 had a good keyboard? The 600XL keyboard (mine, at least) isn't great.

I'm always surprised at how nice the Apple //e Platinum's keyboard is...though mine is missing the num-+ key.

4 hours ago, bluejay said:

How about the PCjr and the chiclet keyboard?

Just kidding!

I wouldn't know :) I've heard they weren't great, but our PCjrs came with wired ones.

One of them came with this one: PCjr_keyboard_2nd_revision_small.jpg

I'm pretty sure the other one had a longer keyboard, with FN keys down the left side?