IGNORED

1 vs 1 Baseball (Complete)

easmith

Most  recent revision:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/299706-1-vs-1-baseball-complete/?do=findComment&comment=4456453

image.thumb.png.18a166cedbad5aa5ad45641645c9d9bb.png

This one will take a bit longer than my last couple of games. 

When I was  a kid my friend and I used to play a game in the sandlot/ back yard  that was 1 on 1 baseball.  No fielding or running, but more similar to electronic hand held baseball.

Here is the way it worked :

There were predetermined areas where the ball would land that were considered singles or doubles , basically line drives down the line or in the gaps, off the wall , or hard grounders through the holes.  Any fly ball or pop up to where a fielder would be was an out. Also any routine ground ball was an out. Strikeout was an out .Homerun was Homerun of course. 

Hits placed ghost runners on the bases , and a single or  double would score a runner from second base.  So it was all kept track of in our heads and all of the hits/ outs were agreed on .

I have been thinking about this for   a while , and think I can do this now that I think the graphics might look decent . A full baseball game is beyond my ability.  

I did another childhood game "Pickle" , and hope to rework that game at some point now that my graphics ability has improved. 

After hit,  the view will switch to an overhead view of field , runners, traveling ball, fence, etc..

Edited by easmith
  • Like 10

Sounds cool. I played a lot of 1 one 1 baseball with friends growing up using similar rules. (And formed a 4 team 2-on-2 wiffle ball league with a group of friends when we were in our 20's, complete with a website with box scores and stats.) Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Proof of Concept screens pretty much complete. I have posted a .bin , but all you can do at this point is toggle between screens using TV type switch .

Field screen will just track where ball is hit , ball size will change based on height of ball.

The diamond at top shows position of  ghost runners.

Will be a while probably before next update , but here are plans for next steps:

1. pitch control and animation

5 pitches  selected  by joystick direction ( fastball, sinker, curveball, screwball, change up)

9 pitch directions controlled by joystick direction

strike zone detection 

2.   swing animation and location ( high , medium , low)

3.  hit detection 

4. hit type   ( ground ball, line drive, fly ball , pop up ) , hit direction, and hit distance determination, hit result ( out, hit , or Homerun)

5. hit animation ( ball movement ) in field view 

6. stats and score updates. 

Happy Holidays to everyone !!!

image.thumb.png.59fd14f1e672700b17c782b93f7fb1a1.png

image.thumb.png.9f6340ab94d238660969d500fa1217b8.png

Edited by easmith
  • Like 3

I really like the way you're using the 2600 assets in this -- creative and artistic methods to give some really nice perspectives.  The batting/pitching screen reminds me a little of Pete Rose Baseball which is still my favorite baseball game ever (both 2600 and 7800 versions).

I have made some progress on gameplay.

What I have so far is "batting practice."

Press button for computer pitcher to pitch . The pitch will be a fastball or an offspeed pitch . Offspeed can curve in any direction so be careful.

To swing, press button  for level swing.   Press up +button for high swing, down + button for low swing.

If contact is made, then  it switches to field screen.  Do not have ball movement on this screen yet.

For now you have to hit reset to get a new pitch .

With a little practice I can hit pretty well.  The hardest part is distinguishing pitch height.  Gets a little better with practice  .  Still some tweaks to be made.   Perhaps the size of the shadow could indicate the height of ball on novice mode--  small = high, wide = low.

Sorry no video-- my laptop  battery is dying so it runs very slow when doing screencapture

Edited by easmith
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The game is now completely playable as a 1 player game .  9 innings . 

Still to come :

-2 player option

-more sounds

-title screen

- other refinements / bug fixes 

Here is the game description along with controls:

This is 1 on 1 baseball, like you might have played in the back yard or sandlot.

There is no fielding or base running:  all fielding and base running is controlled by "ghost players."

The result of a hit  ( out , single, double, triple, or HR) is determined by the location of the hit and also the type of hit (  grounder, line drive , fly ball,  high fly ball) .   Basically, if the ball is hit to where a ghost fielder could  make a play , then the result is an out).    

You control the Red player , who is right handed. The computer controls the blue player who is left handed.

BATTING:

As the red player, you start off batting.  

PRESS BUTTON to start the AI pitch .  

The pitch will be either a fastball or an offspeed pitch .  There are nine possible locations

( down the middle, high, high inside, etc).

If the pitch is a strike, swing by pressing the button.

To swing low, push down while pressing button.

To swing high, push up while pressing button.

Button only is a level swing.

Three called or missed strikes is a strike out.

4 balls is a walk.

After 3 outs, change sides.

PITCHING:

( there is a one second delay after each hit so pitch will not register until then)

1. Push up to select fastball, down to select offspeed.

2. Next, select the location of the pitch by holding the joystick in the desired direction ( or no direction) and then press the button.

Change View:

While in the pitcher/batter view, move TV type to B&W to check runner positions.

Edited by easmith
  • Like 3

Updates 12-31

2 player option added.  Right Difficulty B = 1 player ( you control red player)

Right Difficulty A = 2 player  ( right player controls blue player)

--  Left difficulty A =  AI pitcher is better

Also added:   

-refined pitch locations. 

- game now ends in bottom of ninth if blue player is leading.

- Title Screen added 

On 12/30/2019 at 1:34 PM, easmith said:

Here is the game description along with controls:

This is 1 on 1 baseball, like you might have played in the back yard or sandlot.

There is no fielding or base running:  all fielding and base running is controlled by "ghost players."

The result of a hit  ( out , single, double, triple, or HR) is determined by the location of the hit and also the type of hit (  grounder, line drive , fly ball,  high fly ball) .   Basically, if the ball is hit to where a ghost fielder could  make a play , then the result is an out).    

You control the Red player , who is right handed. The computer controls the blue player who is left handed.

BATTING:

As the red player, you start off batting.  

PRESS BUTTON to start the AI pitch .  

The pitch will be either a fastball or an offspeed pitch .  There are nine possible locations

( down the middle, high, high inside, etc).

If the pitch is a strike, swing by pressing the button.

To swing low, push down while pressing button.

To swing high, push up while pressing button.

Button only is a level swing.

Three called or missed strikes is a strike out.

4 balls is a walk.

After 3 outs, change sides.

PITCHING:

( there is a one second delay after each hit so pitch will not register until then)

1. Push up to select fastball, down to select offspeed.

2. Next, select the location of the pitch by holding the joystick in the desired direction ( or no direction) and then press the button.

Change View:

While in the pitcher/batter view, move TV type to B&W to check runner positions.

Edited by easmith
Title Screen added plus a few more refinements
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, easmith said:

I have this pretty much finished now the way I want it .  I hope someone will enjoy it . 

I just missed getting it done in 2019 :(

1-VS-1BASEBALL.bin 16 kB · 7 downloads

1VS1 Baseball instructions.txt 1.87 kB · 4 downloads

Its the leading candidate for the "Best Homebrew" of 2020 as this is the first (and only) "completed" (and released) homebrew for the new year!!!

:rolling::rolling:

• Haha 2

We'll be playing 1 vs 1 Baseball LIVE on TOMORROW's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Games:
- Mr. Yo-Yo (2020 WIP) by DaveM
- Beer Pong (2019) by Edward Smith aka easmith
- George 2007 (2007 WIP) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- George 2019 (2019 WIP) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- 1 vs 1 Baseball (2020) by Edward Smith aka easmith

EDIT: YouTube Archive of Stream

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

On 1/2/2020 at 4:39 PM, easmith said:

I have this pretty much finished now the way I want it .  I hope someone will enjoy it . 

I just missed getting it done in 2019 :(

1-VS-1BASEBALL.bin 16 kB · 38 downloads

1VS1 Baseball instructions.txt 1.87 kB · 25 downloads

some suggestions from last night:

add extra innings when a tie at the end of 9th

car horn/alarm goes off when foul ball is hit WAY out of the field (extreme left or right)

bigger infield when in overhead view - it doesn't seem proportional to the outfield that is 3 times bigger

left hand/right hand batter option?

runners locations on the gamescreen instead of toggle switch

Awesome game Edward!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arenafoot said:

some suggestions from last night:

add extra innings when a tie at the end of 9th

car horn/alarm goes off when foul ball is hit WAY out of the field (extreme left or right)

bigger infield when in overhead view - it doesn't seem proportional to the outfield that is 3 times bigger

left hand/right hand batter option?

runners locations on the gamescreen instead of toggle switch

Awesome game Edward!

I think a cart for this game will be available in May . I will see about fixing the extra innings issue before then . 

I don’t know if I can do the car alarm justice so that it would actually sound like that . Not very good with sounds . 

As far as the field proportions , it is not too off . If you consider that the distance from home to first base is 90 feet , and a typical right field fence distance is 330 , then it should take about four times the first base distance to be to the fence .  It is not too far off.  But I’ll see what I can do to make it a little bigger . 

I don’t think I can fit the diamond with runners onto the pitcher -batter screen . I could maybe put it in the black area , but I do not want to cut down on the other areas , and part of this black space is just scan lines that are eaten up by horizontal positioning routines .

i thought about the option of choosing left or right handed , but did not do it .   It would be a bit more complicated and I wanted to move on to working on the tennis game . 

Thanks for your interest !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...