IGNORED

Pc joystick to 5200 schematic

Alex Melnyk

I have read several posts from bohiki and the pc joystick to atari 5200 adapter cables he made.I have also read the f.a.q.s. on a 5200 homepage. Is there a wiring diagram of this adapter someplace? I tried the search option and read many posts of people purchasing bohikis adapters for 12 bucks.It would be nice if someone like myself or others could take over and build some more adapters. Thank you. This is my first post but I have been reading from this site for a while.Thanks for sharing your intelligence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex Melnyk said:

I have read several posts from bohiki and the pc joystick to atari 5200 adapter cables he made.I have also read the f.a.q.s. on a 5200 homepage. Is there a wiring diagram of this adapter someplace? I tried the search option and read many posts of people purchasing bohikis adapters for 12 bucks.It would be nice if someone like myself or others could take over and build some more adapters. Thank you. This is my first post but I have been reading from this site for a while.Thanks for sharing your intelligence.

Okay,I see that part of his name has blocking around it so maybe he does not want to be bothered.I will shoot him a private message.I have tried to make one before but it didnt work.I bought 250volt caps so maybe that was why. I was able to make a y cable for my wico stick thanks to the members on this site.I have bought so many computer 15 pin joysticks and i have not been able to try one yet.There is a redemption or masterplay on ebay but the guy wants 320 bucks for it.I have many old and newer game consoles and I like the 5200 the best.

2 hours ago, Alex Melnyk said:

Yup,Your right.I sent him a private message.Thanks.

I've built a couple homemade ones myself, one a full masterplay clone. I may have time to make a good schematic for you for the simple bohoki on Saturday. I have the schematic for my masterplay clone around here on this subforum somewhere.

• Like 1

i could have sworn i drew a diagram a while ago

you know the top half is just a pass through for the keyboard so  that doesn't need to be discussed

so that leaves the bottom row on the 5200 side with you dont use pin 12

pins 9,10,11 are the joystick and pins 13,14,15 are the buttons

just look at the diagram in the faq file

5200 13 - 2  14 - 7 15 -4(and 5*)

5200  9-1    10-3     11-6

then stick a capacitor on the pc end from 3-4, 6-4

but what i do is connect capacitors from 3-4 and 5-6 and have a jumper from 4-5

*not mentioned in faq but ibm spec is 4 and 5 are both ground

you need to mod the plug to the 5200 by cutting off the metal and fusing the front and back together

you need to mod the plug to the 5200 controller by putting a couple bends on the top and bottom to allow the lumps to fit the bends are small the first one i made i used tin snips but soon realized that bends were all i needed

i like adding a start button so i find the cheapest momentary switch and put wires on it and attach them to 5200 plug 4 and 7

Ok,I will give it another shot.It seems that sometimes I make the harnes,only to realize I did it backwards.It can be confusing how the pins change like on a gender changer.I will take any diagram swami.I have to write every schematic I see on paper as I dont have a printer.I have written several masterplay clone diagrams .I tried the one with 2 4052 chips and I could not get the proper ohm readings.If only I was around when the masterplay clones were getting sold.I go to some retro game stores and nobody has ever heard of them.

4 hours ago, Alex Melnyk said:

Ok,I will give it another shot.It seems that sometimes I make the harnes,only to realize I did it backwards.It can be confusing how the pins change like on a gender changer.I will take any diagram swami.I have to write every schematic I see on paper as I dont have a printer.I have written several masterplay clone diagrams .I tried the one with 2 4052 chips and I could not get the proper ohm readings.If only I was around when the masterplay clones were getting sold.I go to some retro game stores and nobody has ever heard of them.

Trying to post this again: This one is much more complicated. I can make a simplified one on Saturday.

Success,I got a bohiki adapter made.I had many problems,why?I dont know but I did.I built my first cable only to have the fire button move the galaga ship left when pushed. When i would push up on the old pc flightstick the ship would fire.So I built another cable,this time the fire button worked,but the x axis and y axis were working backwards! Then i said screw it,i took apart a bad 5200 comtroller and wired the adapter directly to the original colored atari harness.Success! I went back and double checked everything  and foumd that i had a tiny amount of continuity between a couple pins because of a solder joint.Anyway they work now

Thank you guys for helping me out, now want to build a masterplay clone. I will check out your posts and diagrams swami.

7 minutes ago, Alex Melnyk said:

Success,I got a bohiki adapter made.I had many problems,why?I dont know but I did.I built my first cable only to have the fire button move the galaga ship left when pushed. When i would push up on the old pc flightstick the ship would fire.So I built another cable,this time the fire button worked,but the x axis and y axis were working backwards! Then i said screw it,i took apart a bad 5200 comtroller and wired the adapter directly to the original colored atari harness.Success! I went back and double checked everything  and foumd that i had a tiny amount of continuity between a couple pins because of a solder joint.Anyway they work now

Thank you guys for helping me out, now want to build a masterplay clone. I will check out your posts and diagrams swami.

I gotta say I cheated at the very end by just putting the amiga to 15-pin PC gameport adapter on the PC stick end, but my schematic does have pots on it, and switches between different capacitors, that can be helpful.

Yes,i look forward to your diagram.It would be nice to play breakout with,plus I want to try to keep my brain functioning and the pride of building it.I took 1 year of electronics as senior in high school in 1985,I passed barely with a D.  Funny how 35 years later I am wishing I would have paid more attention. Of course most of that might be obsolete but I should have tried to learn the oscilloscopes.It was a 3 hour a day program,I have a couple old pinball machines I have fixed but they are electro mechanical,simple on off leaf switches.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2019 at 2:34 AM, Alex Melnyk said:

Yes,i look forward to your diagram.It would be nice to play breakout with,plus I want to try to keep my brain functioning and the pride of building it.I took 1 year of electronics as senior in high school in 1985,I passed barely with a D.  Funny how 35 years later I am wishing I would have paid more attention. Of course most of that might be obsolete but I should have tried to learn the oscilloscopes.It was a 3 hour a day program,I have a couple old pinball machines I have fixed but they are electro mechanical,simple on off leaf switches.

Note: in this version, it takes two switches to go from PC gameport to paddle controller. Atariguy1021 had them consolidated into one switch. Since Atariguy1021 never shared how he got the Atari2600 paddle working, I'm not sure of this one needs a mod to the paddle or not. Someone here likely knows and/or how to fix the paddle part of the schematic.

000MPCsch.jpg

yikes i'm a bit confused about that  i guess i see what you are doing you are making a dual use item

a few i made instead of going direct to the pc i made a 5200wico Y and then made a wico 9 pin to pc gameport

which is useful for people who have the wico keypad and/or had a wico stick without the Y-cord

i was looking into a company in china to make wico y cords with polymer molded ends but it would run like $1 each with a 1000 order

is there 1000 5200s out there?

Edited by bohoki

10 minutes ago, bohoki said:

yikes i'm a bit confused about that  i guess i see what you are doing you are making a dual use item

a few i made instead of going direct to the pc i made a 5200wico Y and then made a wico 9 pin to pc gameport

which is useful for people who have the wico keypad and/or had a wico stick without the Y-cord

The basic design is direct to PC. If you use it with the ikonsgr adapter, it allows it to use 2600 and sega genesis/SMS digital controllers. So, it is the same as yours, I just added the paddle part to it. The left side is the branch of yours that goes to the 5200 controller, the right side is the branch of your that goes to the PC gameport controller. Ikonsgr has an adapter that lets you use atari 2600 and SMS/Genesis controllers with it. It works with yours as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this.I did find the Amiga to gameport adapter on ebay,i also bought a wico stick off ebay ,but the y chord is screwed up where it plugs into the 5200. if the y chords were of bohikis design I think a thousand could sell. It seems every wico joystick I see on ebay is missing the y chord. 20 people chipping in 50 bucks a piece dont seem so bad.Give those 20 people 10 y chords a piece and that leaves 800 y chords for bohiki to sell and get some profit back.IF I am off base hear with my blabbering forgive me.

14 minutes ago, Alex Melnyk said:

Thanks for posting this.I did find the Amiga to gameport adapter on ebay,i also bought a wico stick off ebay ,but the y chord is screwed up where it plugs into the 5200. if the y chords were of bohikis design I think a thousand could sell. It seems every wico joystick I see on ebay is missing the y chord. 20 people chipping in 50 bucks a piece dont seem so bad.Give those 20 people 10 y chords a piece and that leaves 800 y chords for bohiki to sell and get some profit back.IF I am off base hear with my blabbering forgive me.

I bought a wico stick with wico keypad recently and it ended up coming with a homemade y-cable. Works okay though. However, it was another one of those acid trip deals lately that makes me think of getting out of retro buying.

18 minutes ago, Alex Melnyk said:

It could be profitable, but I know it is also boring and monotonous after the first few and heebie jeebies inducing after about 15, so most of the time when people make these they go in spurts of a few months, sell 50 or so and then are more or less burn out. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have designed a PC to 5200 adapter based on the schematics found on this forum. I have added a stereo plug to provide automatic switching to external potentiometer inside the paddle. Worth to mention that I am considering a DIY paddle.

When the paddle plug is not inserted, the X axis is connected to PC X axis pin (in series with the trim potentiometer) and the transistor is permanently cut by the ground at its base (as the common connection for the paddle is a positive voltage, it was necessary to add a transistor to invert the state of the button output).

When the plug is inserted the connection to PC X Axis is interrupted and the 5200 X axis is connected to the paddle potentiometer. When the paddle button is pressed the VPOT voltage polarizes the transistor base making it conduct (saturate). Resistor from transistor base to ground is added to enhance noise immunity.

PCto5200.thumb.png.d1bc8aecb76e515fdf0b58b6e0b1ef09.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danjovic said:

An exercise on the board layout, single faced, 71x51mm (2.8"x2").

PCto5200-brd-eagle.thumb.png.61b35d679bbadc7d015514d90f56381a.png

PCto5200.sch 572.61 kB · 1 download PCto5200.brd 107.45 kB · 1 download

One thing I forgot it on my quick schematic: the Vpot on the paddle is pin 7. It looks like the paddle pinout is numbered independently of the 2600 paddle pinout. Did you make your own paddle? 

10 hours ago, Swami said:

One thing I forgot it on my quick schematic: the Vpot on the paddle is pin 7. It looks like the paddle pinout is numbered independently of the 2600 paddle pinout. Did you make your own paddle? 

The board is for a custom (DIY) paddle (that should have a 100K pot instead of a 500K, sorry).

The standard CX-30 paddle requires a different circuit/board

325712052_PCCX30to5200-brd-eagle.png.1f8eeff61911c080cc8d3b611672c54c.png

377531037_PCCX30to5200-sch-eagle.thumb.png.a87fcceb4ef2e647af95d554fa70da11.png

PC+CX30to5200.sch

PC+CX30to5200.brd