IGNORED

1050 problems

StevenLee

So, I bought a 1050 drive off ebay mainly because I want a way to access things without my main computer being on(SIO2PC). When I got the drive it turns on and has activity as promised, but after connecting it to my XL things get wonky. The drive starts after being told to format a disk, but does not seem to actually format anything. The SIO2PC software shows the access is being ignored by the drive. With a scope on the TX/TR lines i can see response to the command frame with $41, but no data being sent. Unfortunately I only have blank disks. Can double density disks be used? Could this be a bad disk problem? How can I calibrate the rpm?

The stock 1050 does not support double density. I suggest going to Atarimax and getting a Happy 1050 enhancement that will give you true double density.

You might try taking it apart and cleaning the head with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. Other than that, it might be a read write error. The Read circuits are U22, U23 and U24. Write is Q1.

I You think there might be other problems with the drive You can contact my disk drive expert in Lompoc, CA,  Paul Alhart. ( p.alhart@verizon.net )

• Like 1

Hi,

Have you set the real drive to drive #2, #3 or #4 with the switches on the back of the drive? It sounds like you are booting via sio2pc, but if the real drive is also set to #1 you will get strange behaviour. A stock 1050 should be able to format a (360K) disk to single or enhanced density - are you using DOS 2.5 via sio2pc? I'd make sure the drive works properly before you try to upgrade it. Cleaning the drive head with IPA is a good first step, also checking nothing has come loose over time/in transit might help. There is also an Atari 1050 diagnostic ATR that has been posted to similar threads, this is very useful, though I think you might need to fix formatting and writing first.

If you're booting from your SIO2PC via some software on your computer (RespeQt, AspeQt, whatever ...) make sure your 1050 is set to D2: - D4:, not D1:. There are two slide switches on the back of the drive (one white, one black), and each can be set left or right, resulting on 4 possible settings. I don't recall off the top of my head what setting corresponds to D2:, though I do remember that if both are pushed left, the drive will be set to D1:. A quick Google search will tell you how to set the drive to D2:

As others have mentioned, the stock 1050 can't format a drive as double-density (180K), but it can use "DD" disks formatted as single-density just fine. So my suggestion is to boot a bog-standard Atari DOS 2.5 using your SIO2PC device with the 1050 set as D2: See if you can then format one of your disks and go from there. 

• Like 1

Depending on your level of experience....

Back in the day you could use a hole punch to put a notch in the opposite side of the disk and flip it over and write on both sides.  It was controversial then as it is now - LOL

This obviously is for after you have it working fully.

Thank you

11 hours ago, StevenLee said:

The drive starts after being told to format a disk, but does not seem to actually format anything. 

For a format, you should see the head step every track from the outermost track (track 0) to the innermost track (39) for the format and then from 39 back to 0 for the verify. If you see it stop at the innermost track, or error and jump quickly back to track 0, it means the format verify is failing.

Take the cover off the drive to visually inspect the process. if you see it step backwards a couple tracks before erroring, then it is a hint at least a couple of the tracks successfully verified before failing. If so, it may just be that the read/write head is dirty. If you carefully lift up the pressure arm, you should see the glass head, which should have a very shiny/reflective surface. You can clean it with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. Allow to dry for a few minutes before trying again.

thanks for all the replies!

RespeQt is emulating D1, D3 and D4 with no image in D2: and the physical 1050 drive is set as D2:.

The head has been cleaned with a Q-tip and 99% IPA(the Alcohol, not the beer with alcohol in it)

Formating with DOS 2.5 causes the drive to react as if it's formating with the head starting at track 0 and presumably stepping through 39(though I haven't counted it out). It maybe that its failing I will have to check when I get home later tonight. Thanks again to everybody.

US Doubler is one of the easiest upgrades for the 1050, gives you high speed SIO and DD (256 bytes/sector)

Requires a ROM change (maybe some links to be changed depending on the ROM used) and piggy back a 6810 RAM (some legs lifted and a couple of wires needed if memory serves me right)

Did loads of these mods for mates back in the 80's

I'm sure the info to do it will be on this forum somewhere

Edited by TGB1718
Spelling
  • Like 1

DIY:

US Doubler ROM, program to a 2732 EPROM: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/283132-1050-is-that-an-icd-in-your-socket-or-are-you-happy-to-see-me/?do=findComment&comment=4120404

US Doubler 2x6810 RAM pack: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/220482-1050-us-doubler-speed/?do=findComment&comment=4011333

And ensure ROM jumpers are in the JP2/JP4 config for EPROM. (JP1/JP3 for mask ROM)

If you're not interested in investing in the time/resources to program an EPROM and solder the 6810 chips for a one time deal, PM me and I can build and mail you a ready-to-install set.

• Like 1

Sorry I haven't gotten back lately, I've been distracted by programing. Thanks to everybody about the US Doubler. I will definitely be doing it once the drive is working.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 11:55 AM, kheller2 said:

why do you think it doesn't format anything if the head is stepping?  Is there an error returned after format?  Remember, you need write DOS to the disk after formatting if you want to boot from it as D1.

well, I'm not sure if its writing, but it is not sending data back to the 800 after the initial $41 

So, the CPS 1050 Diagnostic Diskette(rev. 10) I bought from eBay arrived today..... I put it in the drive and was able to do a directory listing as D2. Then I unplugged the SIO2PC and set the 1050 as D1. It booted up and everything passed! Does this disk not check the writing ability? Where is a reputable place to get disks from? 

Hi,

Quick fix is to notch the diagnostic  disk and use the other side of the diagnostic disk you've just acquired. You can get new floppies from floppydisk.com (in the states), or bid for new/used on eBay. Make sure you get 360K disks, not 1.2MB disks, as the latter won't work reliably/at all.

Good idea is to write protect your new diagnostic disk, and use a sector copier to back it up to an ATR image on your SIO2PC. Good news that your drive can read disks OK.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, StevenLee said:

So, the CPS 1050 Diagnostic Diskette(rev. 10) I bought from eBay arrived today..... I put it in the drive and was able to do a directory listing as D2. Then I unplugged the SIO2PC and set the 1050 as D1. It booted up and everything passed! Does this disk not check the writing ability? Where is a reputable place to get disks from? 

There should be a burn-in test, and a format test.  You just need a good blank disk to test with.