IGNORED

7800 Mario Bros.

Xot

Any know if this version has the stalactites? So far the only home version I've played that has them is the Apple II. I don't *think* the 5200 version has them.

Also, anyone got a copy to trade/sell? :D

I think he means the large icicles that form on the upper platforms when you get to the higher levels (I think starting with level 16 on the arcade game). It's been a while since I played the 7800 version, but I don't think it has the icicles.

NO stalact...stalagm...ICICLES!!!

JFTR, the 7800 version keeps the game physics intact (players bounce off each other/into creatures, etc. & multiple creatures can occupy a floor) Not so w/ the 2600 version. Boy was I let down...

The 5200 version is complete, but feels wrong, the XEGS version is GREAT, as good as the NES version IMHO...

Is the XE version a remix of the 5200 version or is it an entirely different game? I know what you mean about the 5200 version feeling "wrong", I actually like the inferior 2600 version better!

BTW what the heck is up with the 5200 colors? Everything is so dull and ugly looking...

Tempest

The 7800 version was a big letdown for me. I expected it to look so much better, but the graphics and sound just aren't up to par. I'll stick with the NES version. It was cool seeing Mario on another late-80's system, though.

I liked the 5200 version, very cool game you couldn't get on the Colecovision.

I thought 7800 Mario Bros. was very good. I didn't have much of a problem with the graphics, but the sound should have been much better (as was the case with all of the 7800's conversions of Nintendo games).

I got the 5200 version much later, and found that version to be a bit disappointing. Compared to the 7800, the sound was a lot better, and some of the sprites were more detailed (particularly some of the enemies). However, the colors were incredibly bland and murky, and as Jetboot Jack and Tempest pointed out, the whole "feel" of the game was wrong. The 7800 version is much more colorful, and has better physics and tighter play control.

Funny someone would bring this up because I was very dissapointed with the 7800 version. The size of the turtles, and crabs is way off. The firefly's do not look right at all, and the scoring system is totally screwed.

Your points are supposed to double (or something like that) when you kick more than one creature in a row off the screen, instead you get the same amount of points for each.

I was very dissapointed with it as well as the crappy donkey kong and donkey kong Jr., although Jr fares slightly better.

I've been a little dismayed in the lack of attention to detail that seemed to exist in 7800 specific titles as opposed to the 2600/5200/atari 8-bit titles where the programmers seemed to take a little more "pride" in their work.

I'll make exception for ms. pacman, and joust cause they are great translations and although asteroids and centipede have their problems I let them pass because of the extra multi-player modes.

Any know if this version has the stalactites?

Stalactites grow from the ceiling, stalagmites grow from the ground.

Anyway, this enemy's name is actually "Slipice".

Here's how to seperate the twO;

StalagTITES hold TIGHT to the celing. StalagMITES might eventually reach the ceiling.

Uh, there's no such thing as a stalagtite. Here's a mnemonic that actually works:

StalaCtites grow from the Ceiling.

StalaGmites grow from the Ground.

Sheesh. I never said I was an excellent spellor. :)

You know the more I look back on it, the Apple IIe version of Mario Bros. was a damn good version.  That's pretty rare on a machine like the Apple.

Tempest

And I think I just saw that BOXED at a store in Naperville IL

Funny someone would bring this up because I was very dissapointed with the 7800 version.  The size of the turtles, and crabs is way off.  The firefly's do not look right at all, and the scoring system is totally screwed.

Your points are supposed to double (or something like that) when you kick more than one creature in a row off the screen, instead you get the same amount of points for each.

You gain 800 points for the first, then 1600 for the second, then 2400 for the third--just like the arcade version. The fourth is 3200, but I don't think I've ever been able to get that on the 7800.

The important thing is that you have to kick the creatures in quick succession. There can't be a gap of more than one second between kicking off one creature and the next one, otherwise the score resets to 800.

Try it next time. The easiest way is to stand underneath a floor, near the edge, and hit the enemy off so it falls down to the level you're standing on. Then try to do the same with a second creature (but don't wait too long, otherwise the first creature will get up). Then, run towards the two creatures and kick them off. You'll see the score indicators showing 800 points for the first enemy, and 1600 points for the second.

Slipice is the iceman that comes out of the pipes starting on the ninth level, who sometimes melts onto the floor and then refreezes, making the floor slippery.

In the arcade game (and certain home versions), there are icicles that form on the uppermost floors, which fall down after they've reached a certain size. Some people are referring to those as stalactites, which form from the roofs of caves over the course of millions of years. Since these are made of ice and form in a matter of seconds (not to mention there are no caves in sight in Mario Bros.), I think "icicle" is more appropriate.

Any know if this version has the stalactites?

Stalactites grow from the ceiling, stalagmites grow from the ground.

I am aware of that, and I'm not talking about Slipice. This is a seperate obstacle, often referred to as Icicles. They begin as drops of water hanging from the top two platforms; they eventually solidify and drop. They are lethal if touched once fully formed.

Your condescension was appreciated, though.

ok I'll try mario bro's again and keep a closer eye on the scores. I don't remember the arcade being as picky on the timing. I meant to try the XE version today but it slipped my mind.

Time to whip up a session of mame as well for comparison.

Woah. Didn't know that. Do you know which home versions have the icicles?

I know for certain that the Apple II version DOES have them, while the NES and 2600 versions do NOT. I haven't played far enough in the 5200 version to know one way or another, and I don't have the 7800 version... hence the start of this thread. 8)

If memory serves correctly, they start coming out four screens after Slipice, so that would be... stage 13, I think.

You know the more I look back on it, the Apple IIe version of Mario Bros. was a damn good version.  That's pretty rare on a machine like the Apple.

Tempest

I spent more hours than I care to count playing that, Montezuma's Revenge, Pitfall II and Swashbuckler in the computer labs of my high school than I'd care to think about. All classics. Hell even Karateka was good on an Apple IIe.

Swashbuckler! God how I loved that game. I won't turn this into an Apple IIe fan thread (although that IS a good idea), but all those you've listed were classics. I may have to go turn my Apple back on and see if it works (it's still set up, but I haven't used it in almost 5 years).

Tempest

Archived