IGNORED

New Adventure II demo to try out

Cafeman

I could be wrong (I am more often than not) but I'm pretty sure that "transmit referrer" means to let the server know what page you came from. Since you were set to not send it, the server thought you linked directly to the file from another server.

And Opera is IMHO the best web browser out there for windows. I don't care for the others and usually see as many problems from them as with Opera (which is to say very rarely.)

But then again, I used to run an alternate shell (Litestep) and had IE stripped out of my windows so I'm a bit more radical than most people.

I could be wrong (I am more often than not) but I'm pretty sure that "transmit referrer" means to let the server know what page you came from.  Since you were set to not send it, the server thought you linked directly to the file from another server.

Yah. That's how, for example, GeoCities knows if you linked from off-site.

And Opera is IMHO the best web browser out there for windows.  I don't care for the others and usually see as many problems from them as with Opera (which is to say very rarely.)

I admit I haven't used Opera in a long time, but I disliked it intensely when I did use it.

And I regularly hear complaints about their refusal to comply to standards.

But then again, I used to run an alternate shell (Litestep) and had IE stripped out of my windows so I'm a bit more radical than most people.
I like LiteStep.

Never hunted IE down and killed it, but I never use it unless I hit a site that relies on non-standard features or bugs in IE to work.

My question is...I am using Atari800win.  And I cannot get any of the objects to actually pick up?  I run over them...nothing..they stay in place...I try to run over them while picking up a button..nothin...I try standing on the item and pressing all buttons...nothing.  Is there something I am doing wrong? :?

It sounds as though you disabled Collision Detection in the emulator. ALT+Q toggles them on / off -- try that and report back. The other thing could be that you have auto-fire turned on, or you are holding down the key which is emulated to be the fire button. You can't pick stuff up if you keep holding down the fire button, at least not in this demo.

Also, concerning getting the error when trying to download from my 50megs.com site, I also can't do it when using my MSN browser. I have to use IE. I assume the MSN browswer has a similar transmit referrer setting.

(_)3

And I regularly hear complaints about their refusal to comply to standards.

AFAIK Opera and Mozilla comply to the open standards far better than IE.

If a page doesn't work in IE, then its because IE doesn't support that standard. And if Opera fails to display a page properly then because it is non-standard.

Animation sounds cool. I think animating the water tiles would be cool too.

Yea, the more animation the better! :thumbsup:

How about some waving flags on top of the castles?

I'm writing is, that I never ever get to download anything from your page. I ususally end up asking Thomas to do that for me...

BTW: I am using Opera too. :)

AFAIK Opera and Mozilla comply to the open standards far better than IE.

Certainly this is true of Mozilla, I'm less sure about Opera. I've seen lots of pages render improperly in Opera, compared to both IE and Mozilla. I use Mozilla as my full-time browser and only rarely do I need to use IE for anything. Alex uses Opera most of the time (all the time?) and I have fun poking holes at Opera when I see it render a page improperly. :)

..Al

Certainly this is true of Mozilla, I'm less sure about Opera.  I've seen lots of pages render improperly in Opera, compared to both IE and Mozilla.

I often found this was due to improperly handling Opera on those pages. If your browser is not IE or a new Mozilla many pages fall back to very old standards. Fortunately Opera allows to overwrite the browser ID and with a e.g. Mozilla 5.0 setting most problems disappear. If the page is important for me I send an email to the admin, if not I simply ignore it in the future.

So the problem is not the browser, but the web designer.

BTW: Manuel, your problem is that you not allow url referer loging. Change the Opera settings (Einstellungen/Privatsphäre/Datenschutz/Protokollierung der URL-Referenzen ermöglichen) and reload the page.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am not sure what you weant to say with that? :?

He meant that we collectively derailed a thread that was supposed to be about the wonderful Adventure II game Ron is developing, and turned it into a thread about web browsers. :)

..Al

He meant that we collectively derailed a thread that was supposed to be about the wonderful Adventure II game Ron is developing, and turned it into a thread about web browsers.  :)

Yes, sorry!

I will playtest some extra rounds of Adventure II for compensation. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is the main page.

Adventure II: Sequel to the Atari 2600 classic.

Game is 40% complete.

In the 80's the game Adventure set standards on the 2600. Besides the title (which later became an entire genre)

the game contained many roleplaying and adventure elements, that were later adopted into countless games.

A couple of clever developers are currently working on an inofficial sequel of this game.

Content wise, the game re-hashes many of the original elements:

As a hero you begin your quest in search of a stolen, very valuable grail, and you must be careful to not

get bitten by one of the three mighty dragons. Armed with a sword you travel through four different

kingdoms and you must solve several puzzles.

According to the developer, the game is about 40% complete. Since this is a 5200 title, you will need to use an emulator

if you want to try out this game.

You can download a demo version here: cafeman.www9.50megs.com/atari/5200dev/Adventure2.html.

This title is scheduled for release by the end of 2003.

The main character rocks, it looks awesome on the new cartridge. :)

Hehe, that is really funny. :)

Very stylish. :)

...no kidding though ... this is a total prequel to Zelda ..

worth mentioning. :)

ciao

mzam

Awesome, a really honorable reminiscence to the mother of all consoles!!! :-))

Archived